MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
SRA Science January By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-27-2010 10:15 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

MSU election techniques

Old 01-20-2010 at 11:33 PM   #16
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
:( :( :( aw man! could have got you the slickest helvetica type faces all over the school (lol whats with the full name? helping future employers?)
I moved away from Helvetica. I have a current love affair with the typeface Amasis. It's an egyptian sans-serif.

lorend, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:38 PM   #17
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

We could have made this school look like a Parisian airport, nothing could have stopped us.
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:43 PM   #18
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
where is the site? It'd actually be nice if all the candidates had websites stating their platforms.
They do! And on MacInsiders. In the Presidential Discussion Forum Chad has set up an area that links to you to all of the Presidential Candidates.

On another note, I totally agree with some campaign tactics being annoying. Obviously everyone will poster because name recognition is huge. And I'm sure playing guitar in a class will win over some people...but how will playing guitar help someone be President?

As for Vishal, I personally believe he has been a great manager. One of the biggest things about the role of MSU president is to be able to set a direction, come up with ideas and then delegate. Vish is FULL of ideas and has a strong staff to support him that then work on them. As well, he is the guy that represents us to the University, and after being VP Ed, he is very skilled at lobbying the University - it's cool to see him in action.

Our President does have significant power and responsibility and a lot of it is just in setting the tone and vision for the MSU. So let's get someone in that isn't just going to play guitar for you, but actually do something tangible!
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:43 PM   #19
deadpool
X-Man

joint sra campaign? combine our waterloo powers to create a very strange environment... ...
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:48 PM   #20
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
joint sra campaign? combine our waterloo powers to create a very strange environment... ...
I thought that said waterpolo powers.

I got excited.

Then horribly, horribly sad. :(

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-20-2010 at 11:50 PM   #21
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I thought that said waterpolo powers.

I got excited.

Then horribly, horribly sad. :(
I also read waterpolo powers, and was trying to work that through.... wasn't sure how waterpolo would help...
Old 01-20-2010 at 11:58 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finlay View Post
I also read waterpolo powers, and was trying to work that through.... wasn't sure how waterpolo would help...
It also makes me think of Africa Places.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

McIntyre likes this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 12:02 AM   #23
Ian Finlay

On that note, I also think the best election technique has less to do about elections and more to do about personalities. Posters are a needed evil. If you don't use them you are lost.

The first important form though is class talks. Speak honestly, and positively. Sure a catchy guitar song or some sort of chanting group thing might impress someone, but you must ask yourself two questions. 1) is that getting any points across in a productive way? the answer from what I have seen thus far is no. and 2) do you truely need to be good at these things to be president? again I would have to go with no. I think the speak honestly and positively are two things you need as president.

The second most important thing is talking to students one on one. Sure big presentations in the student center are great, but wouldnt you rather have a candidate join you over lunch for 5 mins, tell you a bit about their platform? It one gives you a deeper idea of the campaign ideas, and two you get to experience the candidate at their truest form. Person to person discussion is real!

So far I see this in one or two candidates, but there is way too much flash with the rest.
Old 01-21-2010 at 12:02 AM   #24
deadpool
X-Man

Is it a campaign violation if I call you two idiots?
Old 01-21-2010 at 12:04 AM   #25
Ian Finlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
It also makes me think of Africa Places.
making light of this really is a terrible thing! think of all the things we could be doing to help people in African... Places rather than make fun of me!
Old 01-21-2010 at 12:13 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
http://www.kieran2010.com

...wow i need to sleep...
Let me just say that the picture on that website is HORRIBLE and that guy is super hot IRL.

And yes, it matters.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-21-2010 at 12:16 AM   #27
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Is it a campaign violation if I call you two idiots?
You're a campaign manager, you tell me!

Old 01-21-2010 at 12:36 AM   #28
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Let me just say that the picture on that website is HORRIBLE and that guy is super hot IRL.

And yes, it matters.
Help me pick a better one? I have like 9 to work with...
Old 01-21-2010 at 05:00 PM   #29
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
What a f***ing joke. MSU Presidential elections are a joke anyway.
You hit the nail on the head here.
Old 01-21-2010 at 05:00 PM   #30
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

And yes, it matters.
.... More proof that no one should be taking this seriously.