MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
SRA Science January By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-27-2010 10:15 AM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
Thursday's By-Election c.erl General Discussion 28 02-19-2009 02:00 PM
Canadian Election J-Met Politics 19 09-25-2008 08:51 AM

MSU election techniques

Old 01-21-2010 at 05:01 PM   #31
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
.... More proof that no one should be taking this seriously.
Just like my post wasn't serious?

Wowfail.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-21-2010 at 05:02 PM   #32
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Well, I was more commenting on the fact that people actually think that way.
Old 01-21-2010 at 05:16 PM   #33
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post
Well, I was more commenting on the fact that people actually think that way.
the physical appearance of those who run actually does matter...as sad as that is.
Old 01-21-2010 at 05:17 PM   #34
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
the physical appearance of those who run actually does matter...as sad as that is.
Which is why I said that.
Old 01-21-2010 at 06:37 PM   #35
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
. I personally have no idea what Vishal has done for McMaster during his term, and thousands of students feel the same way, which is probably why for the most part students are so apathetic towards the MSU elections.
I saw him in a video where him and some rep suits danced in the MUSC.... that's about it.

And yes, these elections do seem to be a popularity contest/joke. especially after a couple years back where they kept "finding votes" and changing their minds as to who won. Super sketchy.

We'll soon see if this keeps up again this year.

(Oh and if anyone was like POW IMMA STOP YOU and talk about my CAMPAIGN! if i was late for class? I'd be like hey! guess what, i'm not even ranking you now! )

DannyV, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-21-2010 at 07:39 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
I agree. I'd bet $100 that Kieran wins.

(I'm not saying he should or shouldn't, because I don't care about MSU elections, but I bet he will)
Old 01-21-2010 at 09:36 PM   #37
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

dont count me out just yet
Old 01-21-2010 at 11:43 PM   #38
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 187 Times

I too have become disillusioned with student politics and have found myself on the side of Michelle. Despite this, I still think of what things could be like. I wonder what this school would be like with a strong president. I wonder how things would be different if we had a president who didn't just maintain the status quo. I know that there is potential in this position, and it is up to the candidates to make this position relevant, which for a while....it hasn't been.
Old 01-21-2010 at 11:55 PM   #39
ash0000

MD-L

I don't wish to plug myself on this thread too much, but please check out my platform. I am pushing for progress, a couple feasible projects, and not much else. I am pushing to have the MSU take a step forward and I know how I want to do this.

The position is very relevant, and those who hold it have so much opportunity to improve things for McMaster undergrads. It is a shame that some years don't end up having as much progress, which probably leads to continued student apathy.
Old 01-22-2010 at 12:17 AM   #40
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree. I'd bet $100 that Kieran wins.

(I'm not saying he should or shouldn't, because I don't care about MSU elections, but I bet he will)
First off, I hope you win that bet! I would also like to ask you why dont you care about MSU elections? Probably the same reason I didn't. Maybe you can come to one of my work sessions to help hash out some new issues, and some new solutions. It's really a place for you to come, and make a contribution to the team, and to McMaster as a whole. So come on out Mon-thurs from 6-7 or 7-8 in the KTH lobby to join the team or give me some feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Let me just say that the picture on that website is HORRIBLE and that guy is super hot IRL.

And yes, it matters.
Thank you for the compliment. Don't worry I will be throwing up some new content soon. I wanted a picture up for the launch, but wanted some more exciting pictures from the campaign trail!

Anyways, the technique I want to use in this campaign was hitting a lot of class talks, in all different sized room, all by myself. I have no gimmicks, and no friends campaigning for me. I will do all the classroom talks I can. This shows my passion for this, and that you can look at me and see that I am 100% truthful in everything I do.

I also want to sit with people and discuss the situation, this way I can express I am here because I truely want to do this, and that I believe in everything that I say. I have been doing this with my nightly work sessions that I mentioned earlier, and I will be dropping by throughout next week to people who have time over lunch or something across campus .

I don't have gimmicks or any tricks, all I have is an open hand for anyone who wishes to participate in my team, and an honest offer to students of platform points which I promise I will work on as hard as I can since these are our issues, this is OUR turn.

Kieran
Old 01-22-2010 at 12:11 PM   #41
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalkerton View Post
First off, I hope you win that bet! I would also like to ask you why dont you care about MSU elections? Probably the same reason I didn't. Maybe you can come to one of my work sessions to help hash out some new issues, and some new solutions. It's really a place for you to come, and make a contribution to the team, and to McMaster as a whole. So come on out Mon-thurs from 6-7 or 7-8 in the KTH lobby to join the team or give me some feedback!

I probably should, since I'm in Political Science as well. But I'm graduating this year so this election doesn't affect me. I don't even know if I get to vote since I'm not coming back.
Old 01-22-2010 at 12:41 PM   #42
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
I probably should, since I'm in Political Science as well. But I'm graduating this year so this election doesn't affect me. I don't even know if I get to vote since I'm not coming back.
Hey Kathy

Of course you get to vote! Although you are graduating, it is still important for you to provide feedback! Think about working in one of my meetings with some first year students! They get to show what issues they see, and you can give some context to the issues. You also may think of issues that first years may never think of. With the different perspectives we can come up with even better ideas!

I still would be more than thrilled to have you out to one of our meetings to make Mac amazing!
Old 01-22-2010 at 05:37 PM   #43
ash0000

Quote:
You definitely can vote and should -- the outcome of the election can effect the future of the university and consequently its reputation, which as an alumni, you might care about one day. Please take a chance to review everyones platforms (especially mine ) so that you can make an informed decision about MSU's next leader.
Old 01-22-2010 at 06:27 PM   #44
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

who ever made the posters with the markers to write on them... i commend you. they are awesome!
Old 01-22-2010 at 06:32 PM   #45
Ocho Cincho

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey View Post
who ever made the posters with the markers to write on them... i commend you. they are awesome!
What exactly about them is awesome? I only see ton's of Penises and Ron Jeremies and people writing about the stuff the MSU can't even remotely change/accomplish.

Cool idea as a attention grabber but it is absolutely useless in its implementation if Casey really wants to get tangible ideas/opinion out of it. Pretty much personifies the "Party in the MSU" campaign

michelle likes this.