MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MSU Presidential Debate II finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 09:11 AM
MSU Presidential Debate #1 finklej MacInsiders Announcements 9 01-26-2010 01:13 PM
SRA 2009 By-Election temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 28 10-23-2009 01:01 AM
MSU Presidential Election Vote Count Released Chad MacInsiders Announcements 11 02-08-2009 02:25 PM
Mac Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2007 06:19 PM

MSU Presidential Election 2009 Polls Closed

Old 02-07-2009 at 12:21 PM   #60
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
Even if you don't want President, go for SRA. There's an open Humanities seat. You're in Humanities, run for it, try to change it up! I'd be happy if you would do that. Who knows, maybe if you get the seat, and then run for President, you'll get a huge following, because after all the MSU is a corrupt organization who year after year goes on a conspiracy to "appoint" their own to President. I mean, that argument has come up with Azim, yet I doubt that anyone who made that argument was in the room when the ballots were counted for the last time. OO WAIT I WAS!!!

Whoever says the MSU runs a huge conspiracy needs to maybe consider being a comedian as a profession cuz they are hilarious.

strifer says thanks to Phoenix for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 02-07-2009 at 01:42 PM   #61
steps2health
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: None
Year: Other

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Guilty until proven innocent. People who are already bashing Vishal are the same people who ***** and complain about every small issue at Mac and offer no constructive criticism, no plan of solution and ultimately, contribute nothing to Mac as a whole.
close it down, we get our $600 back. MSU problem solved. deal?
Old 02-07-2009 at 01:44 PM   #62
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by steps2health View Post
close it down, we get our $600 back. MSU problem solved. deal?
yea, not going to happen, if it closes down so does all the services that it provides students.
Old 02-07-2009 at 04:07 PM   #63
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
And all of the jobs/volunteer positions that those services provide.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-07-2009 at 05:17 PM   #64
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 470 Times
I never said nor do I feel that I implied that there was a huge conspiracy going on.

I was definitely put off by the debacle that was last year's election, but I'm not about to call the entire organization corrupt or make grand claims that everyone is involved in a grand scheme to appoint an MSU Insider.

It's just obvious that MSU insider types like Vishal will continue to win for a variety of reasons.

As for the craziness that went on with the vote counting last year, that's perhaps another issue entirely and maybe in past posts I shouldn't have linked things together so tightly.

I will take the advice given on the last page and wait until May 1st to really see what Vishal really does. It is rather unfair of me to speculate and make assumptions. It's just a feeling.

As for running for SRA, I'm not quite up to the task, but I still feel I have a right and I should question things and not take everything at face value. I'm not at all good at public speaking and I'd be a poor leader for a variety of reasons but that still doesn't mean I have no business criticizing. Just because someone couldn't be the Prime Minister doesn't mean they can't criticize things Stephen Harper does. Again though, on this matter I will from here on out reserve judgement for when Vishal actually takes office. He just isn't the candidate or the type of candidate I wanted to see win.

That said I would like to be more involved. Not about to jump right into the deep end but I think for starters I will attend the next general assembly.
Old 02-07-2009 at 05:24 PM   #65
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.
Program: Labour Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 94 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Provide a solution. That's all I'm saying. Let's see you run for MSU president and not play off the "woman for MSU president" card.

It's harsh, it's true, and it's the way it's going to be until someone changes things for the better.
Wow, that was mean. Kinda ruined your whole 'we can all be part of the solution' idea. We definitely need as much diversity when it comes to elected positions, but that's beside the point...all i'm saying is that you should really watch when you say stuff like that, it can be easily misconstrued.
Old 02-07-2009 at 05:28 PM   #66
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.erl View Post
Wow, that was mean. Kinda ruined your whole 'we can all be part of the solution' idea. We definitely need as much diversity when it comes to elected positions, but that's beside the point...all i'm saying is that you should really watch when you say stuff like that, it can be easily misconstrued.
It wasn't offensive, at least not to me anyway.

It was harsh but it can be annoying when people play the gender card or in other cases the race card or whatever.

The point should be to have the best candidate win, not someone who wins on a platform of vote for me because I'm fill in the blank.

That said I didn't ever see or hear Florence playing the gender card during this election. Was she? If not the statement is kind of out the blue.
Old 02-07-2009 at 05:51 PM   #67
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm not at all good at public speaking and I'd be a poor leader for a variety of reasons but that still doesn't mean I have no business criticizing. Just because someone couldn't be the Prime Minister doesn't mean they can't criticize things Stephen Harper does. Again though, on this matter I will from here on out reserve judgement for when Vishal actually takes office. He just isn't the candidate or the type of candidate I wanted to see win.

That said I would like to be more involved. Not about to jump right into the deep end but I think for starters I will attend the next general assembly.
But being on SRA would make you a much better leader as well as improve your public speaking skills!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-08-2009 at 01:06 PM   #68
steps2health
Account Disabled by User
Faculty: None
Year: Other

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
But being on SRA would make you a much better leader as well as improve your public speaking skills!
It will instantly make sew12 one of them and no longer one of Us lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
Interestingly enough, the platform merely stated that cheaper ______/more ______ will be advocacy points during the 2009/2010 year.

We were focusing on Vishal's experience as VP-Education.

However, I too remain skeptical if those impositions will actually happen in the near future, it's worth opening a dialogue for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.Martin View Post
J

However, the membership of the campaign was mostly non-MSU employees (Vish's/my friends). Nobody on the team had any special advantage in terms of "availability" (except for Vishal himself), and everybody made sacrifices to ensure that this was a victory.

We won because we had an *extremely* dedicated team (who I'm extremely proud of), not because of some huge insider conspiracy. Not everyone in the MSU supported Vishal.
I wish he said they won because they had some *extremely* rad ideas that the majority of mac thought would be fun :(
(btw I don't know how the process works, I was wondering if Vishal gets time off his job to run in the election?)
Old 02-08-2009 at 01:35 PM   #69
Phoenix

He had to take a leave of absence for the campaign period.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search