MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newegg WAN FEST, Multiple Tournaments kevinf Gaming 0 12-16-2010 02:15 PM
Multiple choice exams and midterms !? luxhydrus Academics 4 09-12-2010 06:08 PM
Welcome-week dates/questions dumbconsumer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-26-2010 05:06 PM
Help Solving Multiple Equations ahmedsu Academics 7 02-21-2010 12:25 PM
Multiple Degrees Goce Academics 9 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

multiple welcome week questions.

Old 08-20-2011 at 08:02 PM   #1
romanoca

Liked: 0 Times

multiple welcome week questions.
ok so here is the link of the welcome week schedual, i was just wondering what events are in your opinion "must go to", also does anyone know if we should be finding out more details on what time all of these events are during welcome week? and lastly, for events such as faculty night social and off-campus social ect., i assume people just dress casually right? like jeans and a nice top or soemthing?

sorry for all the questions, thank you and i appreciate everyones input

http://studentsuccess.mcmast er.ca/...omeday2011.pdf
Old 08-20-2011 at 08:07 PM   #2
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

the faculty day was great

faculty night was fun

drunk pj parade was great

everything was relatively good

romanoca says thanks to nomchock for this post.

SarahJane_17 likes this.
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:05 PM   #3
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

I think you're over thinking this...just relax and have fun!
Old 08-20-2011 at 09:26 PM   #4
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Try to go to everything, especially if you're living in rez. If you're off campus, I guess it's a little more understandable to skip out on things, since you have to get home at some point. But regardless, you only get to do Welcome Week once. Sure, it's terrifying as hell, particularly if you're not a social butterfly, but it's effectively a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal (at least that's how I look at it).

I'm gonna compare this to prom for a sec. I didn't really want to go to my prom, since I'm not one to dress up or dance. But hey, you only get to do it once, might as well do it to say you did, right? So I went, and it wasn't anything amazing, but I'm glad I did go; I feel like I might have regretted it otherwise.

Obviously WW =/= prom, but you get the idea.

Even people who are being reps for WW in their upper years are doing it again because they enjoyed it so much the first time, but it's still not the same as when WW is for you the first time around.

----

Anyway, faculty day/night stuff depends largely on your faculty IMO. Eng faculty day/night, though rowdy, was pretty epic to say the least. I've heard from friends in other faculties though that their days were kinda lame. But, you get to meet people from your faculty, so you might as well check it out.

MacConnector (or whatever it's called, the thing where everyone gets on the field) is pretty awesome. MacDraft sounds pretty awesome too, but that's because I'm a pyro at heart, and this is the first year they're doing it, so nobody really knows what to expect. The socials for me weren't that great, but like I said, I'm no social butterfly (I kinda aimlessly wandered for about half an hour before being bored and going back to rez).

Oh, and DO SHINERAMA! Shinerama is awesome. Arguably my favourite event all week long. It's for a good cause, and you get to go legally panhandle people around the community, all while being loud and cheering and stuff. It sounds kinda silly and lame, but it's actually too awesome for words. So yeah, go to Shinerama, please please please, especially since the WW football game is the same afternoon (you can go to both, it's just relatively back-to-back). On that note, football game is good fun too (since we're playing WESTERN :p), because it's a crowd full of everyone NOT rooting for their team.

PJ Parade is fun too, but I think that's just how my experience was with it. I met two of my closer friends that night, staying up till 3am with the reps painting that sucker because nobody got it done it time, eating freezies and sitting on the sidewalk. I suppose it's possibly less exciting for everyone else. But it's the one time you will not only be not judged for walking around town in your PJs, but likely be commended on it.

Last edited by Zimonada : 08-20-2011 at 09:35 PM.

mediagurl says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-21-2011 at 12:50 PM   #5
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Shinerama is a lot of fun, in my first year we set up outside Toys R Us at Limeridge, and we had little kids pie me in the face with shaving cream for money.. It was pretty funny lol.

Faculty Day is pretty fun too, be sure to just go crazy. A lot of people in my group were pretty reserved about some of the activities but it's a lot of fun to just let loose and give it 100%!

PJ Parade is good, be sure to bring money and buy some lemonade from all the adorable children that make stands :p PJ Parade is definitely more fun as an upper year too >_> Tanked on front lawns, so funny.

romanoca says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 08-21-2011 at 03:28 PM   #6
romanoca

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Try to go to everything, especially if you're living in rez. If you're off campus, I guess it's a little more understandable to skip out on things, since you have to get home at some point. But regardless, you only get to do Welcome Week once. Sure, it's terrifying as hell, particularly if you're not a social butterfly, but it's effectively a once-in-a-lifetime kinda deal (at least that's how I look at it).

I'm gonna compare this to prom for a sec. I didn't really want to go to my prom, since I'm not one to dress up or dance. But hey, you only get to do it once, might as well do it to say you did, right? So I went, and it wasn't anything amazing, but I'm glad I did go; I feel like I might have regretted it otherwise.

Obviously WW =/= prom, but you get the idea.

Even people who are being reps for WW in their upper years are doing it again because they enjoyed it so much the first time, but it's still not the same as when WW is for you the first time around.

----

Anyway, faculty day/night stuff depends largely on your faculty IMO. Eng faculty day/night, though rowdy, was pretty epic to say the least. I've heard from friends in other faculties though that their days were kinda lame. But, you get to meet people from your faculty, so you might as well check it out.

MacConnector (or whatever it's called, the thing where everyone gets on the field) is pretty awesome. MacDraft sounds pretty awesome too, but that's because I'm a pyro at heart, and this is the first year they're doing it, so nobody really knows what to expect. The socials for me weren't that great, but like I said, I'm no social butterfly (I kinda aimlessly wandered for about half an hour before being bored and going back to rez).

Oh, and DO SHINERAMA! Shinerama is awesome. Arguably my favourite event all week long. It's for a good cause, and you get to go legally panhandle people around the community, all while being loud and cheering and stuff. It sounds kinda silly and lame, but it's actually too awesome for words. So yeah, go to Shinerama, please please please, especially since the WW football game is the same afternoon (you can go to both, it's just relatively back-to-back). On that note, football game is good fun too (since we're playing WESTERN :p), because it's a crowd full of everyone NOT rooting for their team.

PJ Parade is fun too, but I think that's just how my experience was with it. I met two of my closer friends that night, staying up till 3am with the reps painting that sucker because nobody got it done it time, eating freezies and sitting on the sidewalk. I suppose it's possibly less exciting for everyone else. But it's the one time you will not only be not judged for walking around town in your PJs, but likely be commended on it.

WOW thank you that was soo helpful ahah! i will deffinetly consider all of those suggestions !
Old 08-27-2011 at 06:40 PM   #7
erika_gk1

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I would say GO TO EVERYTHING! They're all great experiences and you meet tons of new people. And if you're shy or nervous, don't worry because everyone feels the same way. Just get involved and you'll make tons of new friends. Your social life is part of university too
Old 08-27-2011 at 07:42 PM   #8
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

just go, meet people, make new friends... most of all have fun.