MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on professor Argentino? Teaches MUSIC 1A03 rda_14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-11-2012 07:19 PM
anyone taking music 1c03? paula112 Academics 0 05-02-2012 10:40 PM
text mendatory for music 1a03 and 1c03? paula112 Academics 5 04-30-2012 08:51 PM
music 1C03 leungcp Academics 7 04-30-2012 11:06 AM

Music 1C03...thoughts?

Old 06-04-2013 at 01:09 PM   #1
ashklash9

Liked: 0 Times

Music 1C03...thoughts?
I'm thinking of taking MUSIC 1C03 as an elective....I'm going into my second year of math and I'd like something that will be not necessarily easy but something interesting and possibly fun! I love music theory and songwriting and all that stuff, so can anyone who has taken this course already tell me what you thought of it? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:17 PM   #2
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Its music... would you like your 12 served on a gold or platinum platter
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:26 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Its music... would you like your 12 served on a gold or platinum platter
what does that have to do with tcs interest in the subject which is her main concern.
Old 06-04-2013 at 03:30 PM   #4
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
what does that have to do with tcs interest in the subject which is her main concern.
Is this the first post to ever make a comical joke that doesnt hurt anybody? I mean its cute that you follow my posts so closely to reply and bash them, but theres got to be something better you can do with you time, its just getting old
Old 06-04-2013 at 04:14 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

damn, i didnt know my posts werr hurtin u. srry. i posted in this bcus i didnt like way u were demeaning all music courses at mac especially when it offers great courses. pls only post if u will help those who have legitimate questions or if u add to the convo in some other way.thank u
Old 06-04-2013 at 05:13 PM   #6
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

I've not taken the course at McMaster, but the course calendar seems to imply it's roughly the same as Grade 2 Rudiments, which I did for RCM. So disclaimer: the following is regarding RCM Grade 2 Rudiments, not exactly the course at Mac.

If you have any sort of formal music training at all (can read notes, know about key signatures/time signatures, etc.) then it won't be difficult. You'll go through a lot of things that you'll already know, starting right at note names, intervals, signatures, accidentals, etc.

Some of it gets a little more abstract in terms of things that you won't have seen before just performing/playing music (such as the modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, etc.) or will have played but not realized really what it was (for example, all the different types of cadences or Picardy thirds).

It can get a little boring sometimes if you're not super interested in music. If you want to look at a score and know what's happening, it'll be really interesting. For sure it'll be a lot more interesting if you try to apply it to real-life music than if you just go to class and memorize things. I would recommend it if you have even if you're just decently interested in music theory. It'll set you up well for any harmony you might want to do in the future, which is especially helpful with songwriting.

Chris23, maybe tone down the "let's knock on entire programs" thing a little? I know it's a joke (and McMaster isn't UT or York or Western or anything) but it can be a bit insensitive and music is a passion for a lot of people both in the program and outside of it.