MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
A Lab Survival Guide Lois Exam Prep and Studying Tips 3 09-14-2009 01:37 PM
Welcome Week Rep Survival Guide lorend Welcome Week Repping 12 08-25-2008 10:07 PM

“My Macbook’s Keys are Shiny!” – A Notebook Survival Guide

Old 07-24-2009 at 02:00 PM   #30
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
LOL well it works with DirectShow players and WMP is the only player that works with my laptop's hardware playback keys :(

It's not that bad actually, WMP 11 is fairly pretty. Although I personally use JetAudio to play back my video as I love how you can make the video borderless and on top of all windows.
- Moulton Hall
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:01 PM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucif3x View Post
LOL well it works with DirectShow players and WMP is the only player that works with my laptop's hardware playback keys :(
Oh ya, my computer has that too... I'm too lazy to figure out a way around it. :p

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-24-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:04 PM   #32
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
It's usually a simple toggle. For example in Winamp all you have to do is check the box that says "Use media keys" or something like that and you're set.
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:09 PM   #33
crucif3x

Never been a fan of WinAmp... it was fine in the older versions, but recently it's gotten to convoluted for my tastes.

Oh and guys...if your laptop is overheating alot, consider a laptop cooling pad. Even cheap ones like the one I'm using, the LapCool 3, works wonders. http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-LapCool.../dp/B000AGK8NI

Plus it actually allows you to put your LAPtop on your lap again Just make sure it's "compatible". Some laptops have fans that suck in cool air, then buy a laptop cooling pad blows cool air at your laptop. If your laptop is one that blows the hot air out, buy a pad that sucks the air away from your laptop. Common sense, but if you get it wrong, it can actually make your laptop hotter (happened to one of my friends LOL). So make sure what type your laptop and laptop cooler are. Once you do, you'll wonder how your survived without it.
- Moulton Hall

Last edited by crucif3x : 07-24-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:11 PM   #34
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
LOL Never been a fan of WinAmp... it was fine in the older versions, but recently it's gotten to convoluted for my tastes.
I agree. It's too bloated nowadays. Good v2.7 was nice
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:40 PM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Never been a fan of WinAmp... it was fine in the older versions, but recently it's gotten to convoluted for my tastes.

Oh and guys...if your laptop is overheating alot, consider a laptop cooling pad. Even cheap ones like the one I'm using, the LapCool 3, works wonders. http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-LapCool.../dp/B000AGK8NI

Plus it actually allows you to put your LAPtop on your lap again Just make sure it's "compatible". Some laptops have fans that suck in cool air, then buy a laptop cooling pad blows cool air at your laptop. If your laptop is one that blows the hot air out, buy a pad that sucks the air away from your laptop. Common sense, but if you get it wrong, it can actually make your laptop hotter (happened to one of my friends LOL). So make sure what type your laptop and laptop cooler are. Once you do, you'll wonder how your survived without it.
Or, you can just take any household item and prop up your laptop. It also makes it easier to type since the laptop is now tilted slightly.
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:47 PM   #36
crucif3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Or, you can just take any household item and prop up your laptop. It also makes it easier to type since the laptop is now tilted slightly.
Many do tilt your laptop as well. The one I use, LapCool 3, does. But I guess that's the cheapest and more "silent" way of doing it I do like the added cooling of fans though even if it is just a few degrees. I've seen too many burnt video chips and motherboards :( People... please don't just close your screen and think it's turned off, so many laptops are burnt that way.
- Moulton Hall
Old 07-24-2009 at 02:50 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Many do tilt your laptop as well. The one I use, LapCool 3, does. But I guess that's the cheapest and more "silent" way of doing it I do like the added cooling of fans though even if it is just a few degrees. I've seen too many burnt video chips and motherboards :( People... please don't just close your screen and think it's turned off, so many laptops are burnt that way.
Yeah, I find that crazy! I once closed my laptop and thought it was going to turn off but when I came back it was CRAZY hot. I was like noooooooooooo, but no damage so it's all good.
Old 07-24-2009 at 03:58 PM   #38
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
The new 13" MBP doesn't have any actual openings to let out or take air in. I just examined it again and realised this. Is it because it's almost entirely aluminum and the heat from the battery and HDD is supposed to just dissipate?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-24-2009 at 05:50 PM   #39
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
The new 13" MBP doesn't have any actual openings to let out or take air in. I just examined it again and realised this. Is it because it's almost entirely aluminum and the heat from the battery and HDD is supposed to just dissipate?
Yup. The macbooks are pretty much one big heatsink.

goodnews.inc says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 07-24-2009 at 07:38 PM   #40
Raeann89
Program: Classics

Liked: 4 Times
To stay away from viruses you could always install linux!
Check out Ubuntu or Mint.....incredibly easy to use and you will never ever get a virus...vista is terrible!

goodnews.inc says thanks to Raeann89 for this post.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:14 PM   #41
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Just thought I'd post this because it just donned on me: Propping up your laptop (permanently) may be ergonomically incorrect! It's estimated that as many as 75% of people sustain unnecessary pain and discomfort because of improper workstations...

So if you do this, make sure you have a chair that's nice and high.

Does anyone think it'd be useful for me** to post an ergonomics guide like this? How to evaluate your own workspace kind of thing? I'd cover such topics as posture, elevation, screen size / distance, how to use a RULA Sheet, and anything else I can think of that might be helpful.

(**Ergonomics was the area I would have gone into should I have stayed in Kinesiology...I did a workplace analysis of the LCBO, and it's my first (and only ): lol) officially published paper! )

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-24-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:21 PM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Just thought I'd post this because it just donned on me: Propping up your laptop (permanently) may be ergonomically incorrect! It's estimated that as many as 75% of people sustain unnecessary pain and discomfort because of improper workstations...

So if you do this, make sure you have a chair that's nice and high.

Does anyone think it'd be useful for me** to post an ergonomics guide like this? How to evaluate your own workspace kind of thing? I'd cover such topics as posture, elevation, screen size / distance, how to use a RULA Sheet, and anything else I can think of that might be helpful.

(**Ergonomics was the area I would have gone into should I have stayed in Kinesiology...I did a workplace analysis of the LCBO, and it's my first (and only ): lol) officially published paper! )
Really? I find it harder to type when the laptop is flat on the table. I find it easier to type when it's propped up slightly, maybe 10 degrees. But maybe it's just because my chair is low. But having the laptop propped up slightly also allows the screen to be slightly higher which means I'm not looking down as much.

I would really appreciate an ergonomics article!
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:49 PM   #43
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Now the question is...how the heck do I post an article? xD

I guess even if one person would benefit, it won't be a waste of time. (: I'll start thinking about what to write.
Old 07-24-2009 at 09:58 PM   #44
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Now the question is...how the heck do I post an article? xD

I guess even if one person would benefit, it won't be a waste of time. (: I'll start thinking about what to write.
I think you could write it and PM it to lorend and/or Chad

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Article Tools