MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
A Lab Survival Guide Lois Exam Prep and Studying Tips 3 09-14-2009 01:37 PM
Welcome Week Rep Survival Guide lorend Welcome Week Repping 12 08-25-2008 10:07 PM

“My Macbook’s Keys are Shiny!” – A Notebook Survival Guide

Old 07-25-2009 at 01:12 PM   #60
DannyV
Elite Member
Program: Computer Engineering & Management
Year: Other

Liked: 207 Times
6 times I've tried to go to linux and 6 times i've found i needed to either dualboot or just go back to windows. My needs are better served by windows. Also, I've used windows for basically my whole computing life so I know how to troubleshoot it and I'm comfortable using it.

As far as gaming goes, my games are too advanced to run in Wine.

This is not to bash linux / apple osx rather to say that for some people, windows is what they're used to and windows servers their needs best.

Taunton says thanks to DannyV for this post.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-25-2009 at 01:17 PM   #61
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
I'd just like to add that for my current schooling/future career, I use advanced specialty programs that cannot run in anything other than Windows.
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:55 AM   #62
gcruz91
Program: Honours Biochemistry (Biomedical Sciences Specialization)
Year: Second

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
For your battery:

• Stay on the power adapter (though it will heat up the computer) every time you can. You’ll avoid draining the battery this way.
I've heard that keeping your laptop plugged in constantly ruins the battery. Is that true? In that case, is it better to drain your battery before plugging it back in?
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:03 AM   #63
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcruz91 View Post
I've heard that keeping your laptop plugged in constantly ruins the battery. Is that true? In that case, is it better to drain your battery before plugging it back in?
I'm not entirely sure and it may differ on a model by model basis...depending on whether the power source goes directly to the battery before going to the computer, or if it's just like, a place for excess power to go.

But...I know unplugging your laptop every time it's charged to drain the battery and then plug it back in is definitely bad for your battery.

If you're concerned, why not just unplug your battery whenever it's plugged into an outlet? (namely, only plug in the battery when you need it)

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-27-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:18 AM   #64
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Well Gaile, the reason I keep it plugged in is because I reached the following conclusion.
Battery life spans are usually given in terms of charge cycles. When I keep my Macbook Pro plugged into the power adapter, 24/7, I don't use up charge cycles, which is why I figured that keeping it plugged in would be the way to go.
I don't think it can damage your battery but I researched it and here's what I found:
http://www.slate.com/id/2205761/
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:29 AM   #65
Mowicz
Elite Member
Program: Mathematics & Statistics

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Though it's a good article, I just want to point out that it's referring to energy consumption and not battery life. (Probably obvious to everyone reading it, but it never hurts to point out the obvious sometimes)

So although it's interesting info, it's still an open question. :\
Old 07-27-2009 at 04:13 AM   #66
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
I actually have tried Ubuntu, it was the Feisty Fawn edition. I dunno, it was probably the decade of using Windows and being so used to it, but stuff just didn't feel right. It was also such a hassle to find the software to do the things I wanted and were already so accustomed to in Windows. Yes, there is GIMP for Linux, but it is still no Photoshop. Yes, I can use WINE, but I can just load a disc on Windows and not have to worry about any compatibility issues. However, I do appeal in Linux. It is efficient and I do appreciate the supportive online community, constant updates and already included suites of basic programs (OpenOffice, Firefox, etc). But the other side to that is that there is already an established ecosystem in Windows for gamers and other people that it's just not that easy to give up on.

Although Vista does suck for several reasons, bad timing and just sloppy coding, advertisement and quality control, Windows 7 fixes much of that. There is a reason it looks so much like Vista, fundamentally Vista was a good OS, but Microsoft just piled so much crap on top of it that it collapsed upon itself. I have a good feeling that Windows 7 will regain much of the market share that it lost to Mac and Linux due to Vista. But it's very unlikely that it will regain the amount of market share that it had with XP back in the day. Vista was a fatal mistake for Microsoft and hopefully they have learned from it.

Oh and Mac isn't perfect either. I really hate when people default to saying that the Mac OS is impenetrable to viruses, trojan horses and the like. That's simply not true and is due to Apple's admittedly very good marketing and advertising. It's not that the Mac OS are impenetrable, its just that previously the Mac OS market share was just too small to target. Why target a less than 10% market with a virus when you could hit 85%? Simple math.

And in fact, in a recent hacking competition, PWN2OWN, it was the Mac OS that fell first due to Safari, which comes with the OS. So much for the "Mac is more secure" rationale. http://www.channelregister.c o.uk/2008/03/28/mac_hack/ All OS's are venerable to exploitation just as long the proper incentives are there, including Linux, Mac or Windows or any future OS.

BUT, while it is not as bulletproof as Apple would lead its customers to think, it does have its benefits. Among them, great user interface, standardized hardware (which kills customization but improves stability and in turn, user experience), solidly built hardware (Aluminum unibody design, awesome xD) customer service (Apple Stores are actually nice places and most Genius Bar staff are actually knowledgeable and not some clueless kid in a Geek Squad uniform charging $50 for a defrag), a complete ecosystem for their products (everything from hardware, software and maintenance is maintained by Apple so it ensures a more "even" and controllable customer experience) and many more. Just make sure it's right for you.

Basically, everyone's needs are different and those needs are reflected in their choice of OS. Each have their merits and each have their faults, so let's stop the "My orange is better than your pear!" arguments They are all different beasts, designed for different users. Just do your homework and research the one that's better for you and end it at that.

And yes... let's get back on topic HAHA which I have now just contradicted myself on. Something about reading forums at 5:15 am makes me more irritable and chatty as you can tell by my overly long reply... Oh well, laptop maintenance anyone? Oh and I just noticed something that wasn't in the article. Defragging. Defrag your hard drive once a month, it really helps with performance!
- Moulton Hall

Last edited by crucif3x : 07-27-2009 at 04:25 AM.

Taunton likes this.
Old 07-27-2009 at 08:25 AM   #67
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
To add to crucif3x's post, some important Linux guy (don't remember who) recently (well, a few months ago :p) announced that the mac OS X file system for hard drives is completely screwed, lol.

Right now I use Debian Linux (what Ubuntu spawned from) for almost everything. I have a Windows XP VirtualBox machine running under it, which I use for Office 2007, Photoshop, Outlook and MSN Messenger in. I could settle for Open Office, but I don't think I've ever gotten spellcheck to work properly, and grammar check is non-existant. GIMP feels like a limited version of photoshop, so I don't use that either. MSN Messenger I use just because everyone else does (aMSN is fine too). I also have iTunes in there, but the library where it holds it's music is in linux (complicated machine folder sharing... which seems to work :p). I have it setup so my iPhone connects directly to iTunes in the virtual machine when I plug it into my computer. The thing I like about Debian is it NEVER bitches at me about updating and is rock solid.

I could use WINE for all this crap... but to be honest, I'm way too lazy to sort out all of the problems it will definitely have. I remember I went through hell trying to get Office 2007 to work with a language pack on it a while back.

I also have Windows 7 on dual boot, but I don't like it much. As much as you guys want to think it's awesome; it's destined to end up being a big pile of crap after Microsoft gets through updating all of it. I HATE how they tried to simplify things like filesharing/networking (they actual partially broke it, making it difficult to connect to a shared folder). Also, my windows gadgets just stopped one day... and they won't come back (even after registry fixes) :(. This partition wouldn't be here if it weren't for the fact that I can't run newer games under WINE. One of the cool things I can do though is load my Windows XP virual machine in it and still have my email, MSN, and office programs (I've hardly installed anything in 7 ).

And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 07-27-2009 at 11:06 AM   #68
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Though it's a good article, I just want to point out that it's referring to energy consumption and not battery life. (Probably obvious to everyone reading it, but it never hurts to point out the obvious sometimes)

So although it's interesting info, it's still an open question. :\
I liked it because it references sites where users can find out battery details
That's where I got the Apple link

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Article Tools