MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Quality of Education Assessment lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 01-13-2010 12:27 PM
Technology Service Notice jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 9 11-22-2009 12:48 PM
Is Your Workspace Safe? A Do It Yourself Ergonomics Assessment Mowicz Jobs & Employment Tips 3 08-24-2009 01:55 PM
Flu Notice Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-02-2009 12:35 AM
MSU 2009 Quality of Education Assessment temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 02-28-2009 10:33 AM

Where the **** is my Notice of Assessment?

Old 10-06-2010 at 09:02 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Where the **** is my Notice of Assessment?
Title says it all.

I've been unable to pick up my OSAP for a month now because I don't have a birth certificate, I don't have a sin card, and the school refuses to accept any of my 8 papers from the CRA that have my sin number on it because it's not the Notice of Assessment.

WHERE IS IT? They keep telling me it was supposed to be mailed to me.
I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THIS DOCUMENT.

HOW DO I GET IT?

(b/c it's a ****ing marathon and a half trying to apply for a new birth certificate and sin)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-06-2010 at 09:12 PM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

How do you prove you're a Canadian if you don't have any of these two?

Applying for a Driver's license requires a birth certificate.

Applying for a Health card also requires a birth certificate.

Financial Aid requires your SIN card, one piece of Government ID and your McMaster student card in order to process any of your requests, such as Notice of Assessment for one.

Might as well get it now to avoid any future headaches.

Oh and your future career will be asking for your SIN.
Old 10-06-2010 at 09:13 PM   #3
Kira

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,
I don't know about why you haven't received the mail yet. But I know you can view your CRA Assessments online:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce.../menu-eng.html

I don't know if a print out of the Assessment is sufficient. Might be worth looking into.

lawleypop says thanks to Kira for this post.
Old 10-06-2010
Kira
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-06-2010 at 09:16 PM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
How do you prove you're a Canadian if you don't have any of these two?

Applying for a Driver's license requires a birth certificate.

Applying for a Health card also requires a birth certificate.

Financial Aid requires your SIN card, one piece of Government ID and your McMaster student card in order to process any of your requests, such as Notice of Assessment for one.

Might as well get it now to avoid any future headaches.

Oh and your future career will be asking for your SIN.
Yes, you don't have to tell me ANY of this considering the ****ing day I've had.

Driver's License:

"To replace a driver's licence, visit a Service Ontario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office. You will be required to provide proof of identification showing your legal name, date of birth and signature, and pay a $10 fee."

Passport should fall under that.

Financial Aid requires proof of SIN, which is Notice of Assessment.

(I don't care about proving I'm Canadian, I hate this ****ing country. I just want my damn OSAP).

(and yes I'm pissed, so if I seem angry towards you, just know that this day has been SHIT on top of my Line of Credit being frozen).

Old 10-06-2010 at 09:31 PM   #5
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Yes, you don't have to tell me ANY of this considering the ****ing day I've had.

Driver's License:

"To replace a driver's licence, visit a Service Ontario Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office. You will be required to provide proof of identification showing your legal name, date of birth and signature, and pay a $10 fee."

Passport should fall under that.

Financial Aid requires proof of SIN, which is Notice of Assessment.

(I don't care about proving I'm Canadian, I hate this ****ing country. I just want my damn OSAP).

(and yes I'm pissed, so if I seem angry towards you, just know that this day has been SHIT on top of my Line of Credit being frozen).
Ouch, sorry to hear that Lawleypops.

I found this:
OSAP ID REQUIREMENTS:
  • PROOF OF SOCIAL INSURANCE NUMBER (SIN card – photocopy is acceptable, or a piece of Government of Canada official documentation such as Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment, a Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions or a Confirmation of Social Insurance Number from Service Canada).
  • McMASTER STUDENT ID card with a valid sticker
  • VALID GOVERNMENT-ISSUED PHOTO ID
    (a legible photocopy is acceptable)
    - e.g. Driver's Licence, Permanent Resident Card, Canadian Passport, Canadian Citizenship Card, Ontario Photo Health Card, BYID Card
So if you have a passport and clearly a student card.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...grtrn-eng.html - Perhaps this will help?
Old 10-06-2010 at 09:35 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Should have made a copy of your SIN card, haha

Or have you never had one?
Old 10-06-2010 at 09:38 PM   #7
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

I have a passport and all. Mom fedex'ed it down.

Just my damn sin number. :@

Quote:
Should have made a copy of your SIN card, haha

Or have you never had one?
My mom INSISTS I have my sin card. Just like I apparently had my passport and my birth certificate.

a) I've never been allowed to hold onto my own identities
b) I've never had my sin card on me. EVER.
c) I've never even SEEN my birth certificate. I don't even know what they look like.

Trust me, none of this is my fault.

[And yes, there's a possibility that my mom has my NoA and is just being stupid as hell and not telling me I have mail... wouldn't be the first time. I've asked her about 50 times though, so this is the alternative]

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-06-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:33 PM   #8
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

It's pretty easy to just go request another SIN and get another birth certificate.
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:33 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I had to apply for a new birth certificate recently, it really doesn't take that long for it to get sent to you. I had mine on the inside of a week, probably under 5 days. I couldn't believe it- usually Canada Post alone screws it up enough for a 2 day delivery to take weeks to get to me.

Finding some of the info can be a ***** though, they want your birth weight, attending physician, etc. I actually had most of it, but I don't know how stringent they are if you don't have it.
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:45 PM   #10
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

you're best off applying for a new SIN card; if you already have it and can't find it i'm pretty sure they'll still issue you a new one
Old 10-06-2010 at 10:47 PM   #11
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I have a passport and all. Mom fedex'ed it down.

My mom INSISTS I have my sin card. Just like I apparently had my passport and my birth certificate.

a) I've never been allowed to hold onto my own identities
b) I've never had my sin card on me. EVER.
c) I've never even SEEN my birth certificate. I don't even know what they look like.

Trust me, none of this is my fault.
a) My parents have all my important docs somewhere
b) Ive never had mine on me either..parents got it hidden somewhere safe...
c) Ive seen my birth certificate when I had to use it for something or make a photocopy. other than that, parents also got that.

So If I ever lose any of those, I know who to blame.
Old 10-06-2010 at 11:34 PM   #12
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Call CRA and request a copy of your assessment they can mail you one to the address listed on file (the one you register for filing your taxes)

They'll ask you you SIN number, and other information on the account to verify its you.

lawleypop says thanks to shes-a-diva* for this post.
Old 10-07-2010 at 06:17 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
you're best off applying for a new SIN card; if you already have it and can't find it i'm pretty sure they'll still issue you a new one
Don't have my birth certificate.

Dunno why this is so hard to follow.

Old 10-07-2010 at 07:13 AM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Regardless... how long after you file your taxes does it take for you to receive your NoA? And they obviously send it to the address you filed your taxes with, right?