MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALRIGHT so i put the program choices in the wrong order that i want luxhydrus Academics 12 04-07-2011 10:09 PM
Second Year Program Prerequisites (Science) tatski-p Academics 7 12-17-2010 12:50 AM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Second year science program macbaby07 Academics 1 06-03-2010 11:59 AM
Marks needed to get into a science co-op program in 3rd year? zakrata General Discussion 4 09-16-2009 05:34 PM

My second year science program choices...

Old 03-17-2012 at 03:49 PM   #1
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

My second year science program choices...
Hey guys, these are the four programs I'm considering for next year:

Honours Biochem (Biomed Specialization)
Honours Biology
Honours Life Science
Honours Biochem (Biotech Specialization)

I'm still kinda unsure about the last one (biotech specialization), but I don't know what else to apply for.

I've looked through upper year courses and read some of the other threads about second year programs. I wanted to apply to Honours Life Sci as a backup, just incase I don't get into the others.

I'm planning on going for co-op in third year though. Do my choices seem alright? I don't want to apply to four really hard programs (I don't know if I'll get in), so I kinda tried to balance out my choices - 2 specializations and 2 general programs. Any recommendations or things I should look into before applying? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2012 at 05:39 PM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Don't make the same mistake as I did in wasting one of your choices on Honours Life Sci (granted, mine wasn't too much of a mistake considering it wasn't just Life Sci but Life Sci with Origins).

If you want to switch into Honours Life Science even though you did not apply for it, all it takes is a call or e-mail before September of your second year and you're in the program because there's no limits in seats.

Use all 4 in other programs unless you're going for a specialized Life Science (i.e. Life Science with Origins).

Driftking24 says thanks to justinsftw for this post.

-Ish-, IqzFendi, RememberTwce like this.
Old 03-17-2012 at 07:11 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Don't make the same mistake as I did in wasting one of your choices on Honours Life Sci (granted, mine wasn't too much of a mistake considering it wasn't just Life Sci but Life Sci with Origins).

If you want to switch into Honours Life Science even though you did not apply for it, all it takes is a call or e-mail before September of your second year and you're in the program because there's no limits in seats.

Use all 4 in other programs unless you're going for a specialized Life Science (i.e. Life Science with Origins).
Is this switch granted that you get into something? Since OP is using Life Sci as a 'just in case' sort of option, which is similar to what I did. I only debated between biochem and chembio, so the other two I just picked bio and chem.

@OP If you're happy with your choices, I won't fret too much.

I'm going to guess you've already looked at chembio, but are set on biochem, otherwise it's something you could look into, since they both deal with similar problems.

Driftking24 says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 03-17-2012 at 07:15 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftking24 View Post
Hey guys, these are the four programs I'm considering for next year:

Honours Biochem (Biomed Specialization)
Honours Biology
Honours Life Science
Honours Biochem (Biotech Specialization)

I'm still kinda unsure about the last one (biotech specialization), but I don't know what else to apply for.

I've looked through upper year courses and read some of the other threads about second year programs. I wanted to apply to Honours Life Sci as a backup, just incase I don't get into the others.

I'm planning on going for co-op in third year though. Do my choices seem alright? I don't want to apply to four really hard programs (I don't know if I'll get in), so I kinda tried to balance out my choices - 2 specializations and 2 general programs. Any recommendations or things I should look into before applying? Thanks.
You can't do co-op from life sci or general bio. You can from mol bio & genetics, though. Also, will you be offered core biochem if you don't get into a specialization? If not, you might want to consider adding it to the list, since it has a lower admission average. However, you can't do coop in core.

If you don't get into any of your choices you can easily get into life sci even without applying to begin with, as long as you have the prereqs.

Driftking24 says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 03-17-2012 at 07:19 PM   #5
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

I agree with justinftw.
Last year, when I was applying for 2nd year science programs, I was told at the associate dean of science office(by one of the counsellors) not to apply to Life Science as "safe spot". I was told that, if you don't get accepted into your other choices, you can just call in and they'll register you in Life Science II(as long as your average is at least a 6 and you have the required courses).

Driftking24 says thanks to Purple2309 for this post.
Old 03-17-2012 at 07:56 PM   #6
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Is this switch granted that you get into something? Since OP is using Life Sci as a 'just in case' sort of option, which is similar to what I did. I only debated between biochem and chembio, so the other two I just picked bio and chem.
I'm well aware of what he meant. I'm just saying he doesn't need that "just in case" option because it's not a program with limited spots, so all you need is a 6.0 GPA and tell the program advisor you want in and and you're in.

EDIT: What "A" said. I didn't bother to scroll down. My mistake.

Old 03-17-2012 at 09:37 PM   #7
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I applied for the Biotech spec and I still have no idea what it is >_>

Driftking24 likes this.
Old 03-17-2012 at 10:04 PM   #8
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Hey, you should just apply to core biochem- in 2nd year, the core and specialization students all take the same courses anyways. Then in 3rd year you can switch into a specialization. The specializations are A LOT more intense than core biochem, and MOST students switch out of them before 3rd year even begins. I'm in fourth year and have witnessed this. Specialization is worth taking if you have a passion for research and you're really considering grad school after undergrad. So my main point is that you should apply to core for now, and then enough seats will open up in the specializations for you to switch into it 3rd year.

Many 1st years don't even know what the specializations entail... but it requires taking many many extra required courses than the core biochem students (who have 18 units electives in 3rd year alone.....). Choose to go into specialization wisely....

Driftking24 says thanks to gmoney for this post.

-Ish- likes this.
Old 03-17-2012 at 10:34 PM   #9
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
Hey, you should just apply to core biochem- in 2nd year, the core and specialization students all take the same courses anyways. Then in 3rd year you can switch into a specialization. The specializations are A LOT more intense than core biochem, and MOST students switch out of them before 3rd year even begins. I'm in fourth year and have witnessed this. Specialization is worth taking if you have a passion for research and you're really considering grad school after undergrad. So my main point is that you should apply to core for now, and then enough seats will open up in the specializations for you to switch into it 3rd year.

Many 1st years don't even know what the specializations entail... but it requires taking many many extra required courses than the core biochem students (who have 18 units electives in 3rd year alone.....). Choose to go into specialization wisely....
Wouldn't it be a better idea to apply to the specialization, then switch into the core (which will undoubtedly have the lower cutoff) if necessary. (Assuming there are no restrictions on students moving into the core program after second year).
Old 03-18-2012 at 12:47 PM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

To be clear, Biotech is more about the techniques in Biochemistry (i.e. efficiencies in in silico studies, PCR or sequencing etc.), while Biomed is more about the concepts (i.e. drug creation or application, viruses, etc.).

Old 03-18-2012 at 08:39 PM   #11
Driftking24

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I have a couple of questions regarding specialization vs general programs. Well just, what's the difference?

What I know so far (after going through this thread as well):

Specializations are harder and more research oriented
General programs have more electives
Specializations have co-op streams in third year
General programs are easier to get into

gmoney said that: "Specialization is worth taking if you have a passion for research and you're really considering grad school after undergrad."

I'm going for specialization because I'm interested in co-op, really. I mean, I don't mind research, but I've heard that if you've done co-op during your undergrad, it's easier to land a job afterwards? Is that true?

For now, here's my plan: Apply for co-op, apply for med school and apply for pharmacy school. If none of those work out for me, THEN I'll stick to research, I don't mind.

I'm thinking of possible career paths right now with respect to general vs specialized programs. Apart from going into grad school, what other options do I have if I go for general/specialized programs? Which program-type (general or specialized) do you guys recommend for getting a job after just an undergrad (I'm lazy, I know)?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-19-2012 at 01:14 AM   #12
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I'm hoping to do co-op to give myself a chance to see what jobs are out there and if I would want to get into the workforce once I graduate, so you don't quite have to be set just yet, although having a plan is good!

Co-op will probably do wonders for anyone who puts in the effort and is fortunate enough to find somewhere to work. The networking you get to do will definitely help with getting a job after you graduate, but again I think it's really about how you decide how to you use your time these next few years that will ultimately impact where you will be.

I think it's hard to say that any of us will get a job just finishing a degree, the workplace isn't like that anymore. You have to be actively furthering your skills that will be of use to some company, and its up to you to find that kind of match. General of specialized I think will depend on what kind of courses you'd like to take in order to build the skill set you'd like after you graduate. After all, it's about the courses you take, so base your decision on that since some courses are only available in specializations.

Driftking24 says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 03-19-2012 at 10:14 AM   #13
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Wouldn't it be a better idea to apply to the specialization, then switch into the core (which will undoubtedly have the lower cutoff) if necessary. (Assuming there are no restrictions on students moving into the core program after second year).
What I meant by this was that in case OP was worried about not meeting the cut-off for specialization (it is higher I believe?) then this would be an option

Also, IMO, the co-op option is great if you're looking to get a job after undergrad (albeit this is also quite challenging- most industry positions prefer Masters/PhD). You get potentially 4 different lab/clinical placements where you can network and get a good reference letter for your future endeavours. I chose Biochemistry over Chemical biology because at the time, only Biochemistry had a co-op option. After going into Biochem I realized that the specialization option wasn't really for me so I didn't do co-op (since you must be specialized in order to do co-op). However, I know people that really enjoyed their co-op placements and thus didn't mind the extra required courses.

Driftking24, RememberTwce all say thanks to gmoney for this post.
Old 03-19-2012 at 01:49 PM   #14
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
What I meant by this was that in case OP was worried about not meeting the cut-off for specialization (it is higher I believe?) then this would be an option

Also, IMO, the co-op option is great if you're looking to get a job after undergrad (albeit this is also quite challenging- most industry positions prefer Masters/PhD). You get potentially 4 different lab/clinical placements where you can network and get a good reference letter for your future endeavours. I chose Biochemistry over Chemical biology because at the time, only Biochemistry had a co-op option. After going into Biochem I realized that the specialization option wasn't really for me so I didn't do co-op (since you must be specialized in order to do co-op). However, I know people that really enjoyed their co-op placements and thus didn't mind the extra required courses.
Ah yes, that makes sense.

When I applied last year, the previous year's cutoffs were surprisingly 8.0 for core and both specializations. The cutoffs last year were 8.0 for core and 8.5 for biomed last year (according to the latest post in the thread I linked).

I would presume that the specializations will always tend to be higher if there are enough applicants.

Driftking24, gmoney all say thanks to RememberTwce for this post.