MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I get this laptop? aznsensation Computers & Tech 8 09-11-2011 03:42 PM
laptop??? raveenaj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-24-2011 06:39 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Wet Laptop...New Laptop? Afzal Computers & Tech 84 12-26-2009 08:53 PM

A new Laptop

Old 07-07-2016 at 05:17 PM   #1
Tristan L

Liked: 0 Times

A new Laptop
I'm looking for a brand new laptop to use for university as my old one is already 4 years old.

I'm looking for any laptop with a decent specs to play games smoothly and also practical to use/carry in uni.

Do you guys have recommendations on what laptop I should get?
Old 07-07-2016 at 05:30 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

keep it ≤ 14 inches and wipe hard drive and install *nix and you're good to go.
Old 07-07-2016 at 09:05 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
keep it ≤ 14 inches and wipe hard drive and install *nix and you're good to go.
Yeah, install Linux to restrict yourself to free rip-offs of much better PC titles. He wants to play games, Linux wont provide it.

Get one of those Lenovo Y series. One of the best gaming series laptops out there. I have the first generation one (the one had an option to install second video card), and it's the best laptop I've had or seen. The newer models look just as solid. Lenovo also has killer sales around September and New Year.

Still keep in mind that in 4 years our currency lost value, so if your laptop had same specs as top of the line MacBook Pro but at half the price, now it's much harder to come across deals like that.
Old 08-02-2016 at 08:31 PM   #4
mercer

Surface Book 13.5″
Old 08-02-2016 at 08:32 PM   #5
mercer

check http://pc4u.org/best-laptop-for-vide...photo-editing/
Old 08-06-2016 at 12:24 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Good question Tristan. It can be difficult to find a really solid gaming PC that isn't bulky to carry around campus.

I'm a Mac guy through and through (Macbook Pro).. but for gaming, a PC is obviously the way to go.

The Dell XPS 15 in the article Mercer linked to looks solid as a PC option with decent gfx card (NVIDIA GTX 960m GPU). Nice quality screen, and up to 1TB SSD option which is plenty to store large games, and also silent and fast booting (SSD drives are awesome).

4k screen. Skip to 7:00mins in to see info about gaming as he tests games on it...

The article recommends MSI GE62 which is a laptop made for gaming at an affordable price. But it does look bulky.

The GTX 970M is what they recommend for high end gamers..

It's pricey at $2000. Also quite thick/bulky (34mm tall) and 7 pounds is heavy to carry around all day... but that's expected with big gaming notebooks. Compared to the thinner, slicker Dell XPS which is only $1321 from Dell Canada right now.

All depends on your budget. If you're looking to spend over $2k then a lot more options open for you