MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
laptop Teresa123 Computers & Tech 20 08-27-2010 08:54 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Which Laptop?? manav Computers & Tech 216 09-03-2009 11:35 PM

New Laptop

Old 03-03-2011 at 09:23 AM   #16
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee View Post
I thought about a macbook but their price scares me lol
macbook pro used to have an intel of Core 2 duo but now it upgraded 2 generations so its price is worth it

it also lasts for 4-5 years with very few problems
Old 03-03-2011 at 11:29 AM   #17
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
macbook pro used to have an intel of Core 2 duo but now it upgraded 2 generations so its price is worth it

it also lasts for 4-5 years with very few problems
So because the model before it had a aging CPU and finally got upgraded to the current CPU, it is now worth it?

Worth is relative and can't be compares in that manner. You are also only comparing the lower range MacBook since the 15" and 17" had i5 and i7 cores.

Already posted earlier a few select laptops that have the same CPU as Apple for much less in price.

Apples reliability are match and even beaten by other manufactures. You said it will last for 4-5 years with very few problems. Any source for this or just words of mouth?

I found that reliability is subjective. Someone could have a few problem with Western Digital Harddrives and judge it as unreliable. Yet Western Digital Harddrives are great for others.

Don't mind me, if you have the cash and want the Apple experience, go for it. But don't despair just because you can't have one.

Pay919 likes this.
Old 03-03-2011 at 01:15 PM   #18
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

go to tiger direct and buy an asus. best laptop company out there for its money

RyanC, syan9184 like this.
Old 03-03-2011 at 10:15 PM   #19
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

word of advice with lenovo: automatically subtract 30%
-if you browse their home page, there is always a 25-35% discount on thinkpad models. There a coupon like CAP48HOURSALE that you put in the cart. It will then subtact the appropriate amount, usually a higher percentage for more expensive models. For example on a typical sale, a $1500 build, usually eligable for 35% off, would come to about $1100, making it one of the best deals out there.
-another word of caution: 1) lenovo has had more sales in the past month than the past year..and 2) I got an email yesterday of a 45% off promotion for previous thinkpad owners..the highest I have ever seen
-This leads me to conclude that lenovo is upgrading to the sandy bridge platform for all models (which is SUBSTANTIAL. 40%+ improvement over current models). Its also about time because lenovo usually embraces the latest tech quick.

finally...
HP = max two years battery, judging by the life of about 20-30 friends's hp laptops. and by two years i mean boot=99%drain. I, after 2.5 years, still get 6 hours on my lenovo and i use the battery extensively every day.
Old 03-04-2011 at 10:55 AM   #20
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

In my opinion, for a thin , light14' with greaty battery life, your best options are Asus, Acer, and Lenovo. I've had 14' models from the first two with battery life of about 8 hrs. with lowest settings while web browsing and word processing, and I read a lot of great reviews on Lenovo 14' models while looking for the laptop that I have now. I've never heard of a Dell Inspiron or any other 14' for Dell going past 3 hours max on battery. They're cheap, sure, but don't expect too much. Same with HP laptops that are in your price range.

If you have any relatives/friends in the states whom you could possibly ship an order to, you could save a lot of money.

For example, this G460 Levovo:
  • Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz dual-core processor
  • 14" 1366×768 LED-backlit LCD
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500GB 5400 rpm hard drive
  • Dual-layer DVD burner
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
is currently on sale for $569 with the application of the coupon code USPG9X0303 during checkout. Shipping is free, code expires on the 9th. The U460 is similar, and is $649 with the code USPU2D0303. I personally don't think it's really necessary to try laptops out in person before buying them, as useful as that would be, when there are tons of reviews out there. Just do your research. It's almost always cheaper just to buy online.

Asus and Lenovo Thinkpads are probably the most expensive out of the ones I've mentioned, and ones from those brands with specs as good as the Lenovo above or any of the Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG models will probably be out of your price range.
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:08 PM   #21
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm going to have to echo what everyone else has said here. Do not go with Dell or HP, they're cheap but don't last. If you stick with Asus if you can, they're known for having well-priced and solid laptops.

Here's a link to an article about some research into laptop reliability (Spoilers: Asus is most reliable, HP is the least reliable): http://www.electronista.com/articles...ple.4th.place/

syan9184 likes this.
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:51 PM   #22
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Lenovo is great - warranty is awesome.
Old 03-04-2011 at 02:07 PM   #23
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
So because the model before it had a aging CPU and finally got upgraded to the current CPU, it is now worth it?

Worth is relative and can't be compares in that manner. You are also only comparing the lower range MacBook since the 15" and 17" had i5 and i7 cores.

Already posted earlier a few select laptops that have the same CPU as Apple for much less in price.

Apples reliability are match and even beaten by other manufactures. You said it will last for 4-5 years with very few problems. Any source for this or just words of mouth?

I found that reliability is subjective. Someone could have a few problem with Western Digital Harddrives and judge it as unreliable. Yet Western Digital Harddrives are great for others.

Don't mind me, if you have the cash and want the Apple experience, go for it. But don't despair just because you can't have one.
I agree Mac isnt for every one

I am going into engineering so I am gona mac but my bro is going into science so hes getting a different one
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:21 PM   #24
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
I agree Mac isnt for every one

I am going into engineering so I am gona mac but my bro is going into science so hes getting a different one
You do realize there are certain computer programs Eng kids use that you can only run through Windows, right? Easily one of the biggest difficulties with Macs are the lack of compatibility... I have friends who've repeatedly borrowed my laptop because they can't complete assignments and stuff on their own Macs. Take Autodesk for example; you're gonna have to Bootcamp to run Windows just to install an otherwise free version of the program.
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:24 PM   #25
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
You do realize there are certain computer programs Eng kids use that you can only run through Windows, right? Easily one of the biggest difficulties with Macs are the lack of compatibility... I have friends who've repeatedly borrowed my laptop because they can't complete assignments and stuff on their own Macs. Take Autodesk for example; you're gonna have to Bootcamp to run Windows just to install an otherwise free version of the program.
Yup, Eng is probably the worst faculty to have a Mac for because of some of the software requirements...
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:37 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Yup, Eng is probably the worst faculty to have a Mac for because of some of the software requirements...
HEHE. Don't worry about it though, I see the Eng Profs all have MacBook. Even the 1C03.
Old 03-04-2011 at 04:44 PM   #27
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
For example, this G460 Levovo:
Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz dual-core processor
14" 1366×768 LED-backlit LCD
4GB RAM
500GB 5400 rpm hard drive
Dual-layer DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium
That looks like a very good deal!! If you can id deff grab that!

Quote:
Tbh, its not bad at all. Once you have windows installed, It is one button away! It can get frustrating when you boot up OS X and then realize you needed windows >.>
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:50 PM   #28
Xbrzz

Liked: 0 Times

i suggest the Lenovo w-500 series, you can purchase one used for around $800 with a full 2 year warranty, all you have to do is look around. Whatever you do, dont purchase a mac
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:56 PM   #29
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

Asus UL80vt
Awesome laptop,
excellent battery life(8+ hours),
very good heat management( i have never seen my laptop screen hot, its always cold maybe cuz its LED)
VERY Thin laptop, easy to carry around
14 inches screen, glossy frame and all the other random stuff laptops have.