MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Years Reminders lorend MacInsiders Announcements 11 01-05-2010 05:34 PM
New Years At Montreal!!! ria89 Clubs & Groups 0 11-23-2009 06:48 PM
Upcoming Years iRetaliate First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 11-15-2009 06:41 PM
Tips for First Years adrian First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 09-04-2009 10:41 PM
4th years lorend Academics 0 11-10-2007 09:58 AM

New Years Resolutions

Old 01-01-2010 at 09:23 PM   #31
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I actually did a project back in like Grade 6 on New Years resolutions, although I don't remember enough about it to be helpful. I think it was a tradition in some culture, and had some sort of religious tie. Dunno though.

In general I don't make New Years resolutions. I tend to do that type of thing without waiting (examples: giving up meat, milk, eggs, illicit drugs, and pop at various points). Generally works well enough.

This year though, I actually kindof have one. I was planning to give up alcohol, but I wanted to wait until after New Years, so I could have one last hurrah type thing. So as of now, no more alcohol.

I'm also planning on getting a gym membership this semester, and hopefully using it. Looks like I'll be joining you guys in trying to lose some weight! I also want to start eating more whole grain bread. Those aren't really resolutions though, just a few general things I want to try out.
Old 01-01-2010 at 09:26 PM   #32
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Lose weight?
have you SEEEN yourself?

you, my friend, do not need to lose weight.
O_O

Old 01-01-2010 at 10:09 PM   #33
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

You can never be too thin or too rich.

But yeah, not actually trying to lose weight, just to get in better shape.
Old 01-01-2010 at 10:18 PM   #34
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
You can never be too thin or too rich.

But yeah, not actually trying to lose weight, just to get in better shape.
Lmao, if you say so.
MUSCLES!!!!

Old 01-01-2010 at 10:30 PM   #35
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
You can never be too thin
LINDSAY LOHAN LOLOLOLOL
Old 01-01-2010 at 10:55 PM   #36
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

2009 I resolved not to make any resolutions, which I am successfully carrying over. Works really well. I would make an actual goal, but I feel resolutions made on the New Years are destined to fail. meh.

Also, wanting to lose weight isn't exactly a bad thing. And even if Jeff does want to lose weight, him appearing skinny isn't the same as him having reached his fitness goals. Pulling off looking skinny in a shirt != being skinny.
Old 01-01-2010 at 11:01 PM   #37
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
2009 I resolved not to make any resolutions, which I am successfully carrying over. Works really well. I would make an actual goal, but I feel resolutions made on the New Years are destined to fail. meh.

Also, wanting to lose weight isn't exactly a bad thing. And even if Jeff does want to lose weight, him appearing skinny isn't the same as him having reached his fitness goals. Pulling off looking skinny in a shirt != being skinny.
blah blah blah.
then he shouldn't say "I wanna lose weight", he should say "I wanna get fit" or "I wanna get muscley" or something.

Old 01-01-2010 at 11:05 PM   #38
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Fitness goal since 2005:
Weigh 160 or lower and hopefully have a good percentage of that weight in muscle.
(And hell I don't mind being heavier if, again, a good percentage of that is muscle)

I hate it when you reach that point where it suddenly becomes like 10x harder to make progress though.
Old 01-02-2010 at 08:11 AM   #39
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
I actually did a project back in like Grade 6 on New Years resolutions, although I don't remember enough about it to be helpful. I think it was a tradition in some culture, and had some sort of religious tie. Dunno though.

In general I don't make New Years resolutions. I tend to do that type of thing without waiting (examples: giving up meat, milk, eggs, illicit drugs, and pop at various points). Generally works well enough.

This year though, I actually kindof have one. I was planning to give up alcohol, but I wanted to wait until after New Years, so I could have one last hurrah type thing. So as of now, no more alcohol.

I'm also planning on getting a gym membership this semester, and hopefully using it. Looks like I'll be joining you guys in trying to lose some weight! I also want to start eating more whole grain bread. Those aren't really resolutions though, just a few general things I want to try out.
Maybe you should just learn to drink in moderation.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-02-2010 at 10:56 AM   #40
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I wonder if anyone actually follows through with their resolutions.

Every year, mine is "exercise more". Not to lose weight, but to be more healthy. To be fair, I actually did start a hardcore exercise regime in 2009 and I'll definately continue doing it. But not once did I think "I'm doing this because it's my resolution". I always just did it because it's good for me.

I was going to go with "Stop skipping so much class" .. but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.

So many people's resolutions (on this site and elsewhere) are excerise, lose weight, eat healthy, etc. I wonder why that one is so popular.
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:25 AM   #41
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

exercise in january. not the whole year, just january

macsci likes this.
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:49 AM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I wonder if anyone actually follows through with their resolutions.

Every year, mine is "exercise more". Not to lose weight, but to be more healthy. To be fair, I actually did start a hardcore exercise regime in 2009 and I'll definately continue doing it. But not once did I think "I'm doing this because it's my resolution". I always just did it because it's good for me.

I was going to go with "Stop skipping so much class" .. but who am I kidding, that's not going to happen.

So many people's resolutions (on this site and elsewhere) are excerise, lose weight, eat healthy, etc. I wonder why that one is so popular.
Because people think they won't be loved if they're fat and disgusting?

who knows.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-02-2010 at 12:17 PM   #43
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
But not once did I think "I'm doing this because it's my resolution". I always just did it because it's good for me.
I don't think many people make resolutions for the sake of making them. They make them to improve themselves.

Thinking "I'm doing this because it's my resolution" is just an extention of "I'm making this resolution because I think it's good for me."

I mean, were you thinking of resolving not to skip class just for the sake of not skipping class? Or did you think of it because you thought it would be better for your grades/work ethic?

Last edited by JEFF_CHAN : 01-02-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2010 at 02:23 PM   #44
Ian Finlay

Liked: 28 Times

The gym during January is always super packed! I like to go at least 4 times a week, and do this all year, not just January. The Gym fills up in January though with tons of people trying to fulfill their resolutions. In January if you do not have a locker, you can't get a Day one!(that is why I rent a locker!)

And all the equipment is full! Now this isnt a big issue. I am happy to skip around and spend tons of time in the gym talking to friends waiting for equipment, but for anyone who says "I am going to lose weight" or "go to the gym every day" or something, get a workout buddy who knows how to do it, or rent a personal trainer! They are super cheap and all the trainers I know/semi know from asking for help, are very smart and friendly. Also tip for those who are wanting to keep interested, change up your routine every 3-4 weeks. Keeps it fresh so you don't get bored and decide to slack off. It also helps you get past that point where you have trouble seeing results. As Nicole said earlier classes also help keep you going and are fun! Don't rely on them only to help you keep fit!

I wish everyone luck at the gym and on their other new years resolutions! I am going to try to cut pop out of my diet. I did this a few years ago and it was hard, but I think I can do it again. Maybe not cut it out fully but lower the amount I drink.(Gotta treat yourself every once in a while!)
Old 01-02-2010 at 04:12 PM   #45
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Ok new years resolutions for myself:

1) Restart the healthy life I was living before crunch time. Seriously, 1st semester honours kin I had scared me into living a healthy life, until crunch time hit and I had no time to exercise and now had mad cravings for horribly unhealthy food.

2) Practice my sax more. It's not even that I don't have time to do it, or that I don't enjoy it. It's just sometimes it's hard just to get my butt into gear once I've gotten home which leads into....

3) Start being productive before 10:00 at night. I've seriously gotta shift the time when I do my best work from 11:00 to 1:00 to something earlier. Yeah it works fairly well and I still get good grades and such, but at the end of the day, i would worry less, and have less 2-3 days panic/super extra work sessions, not have massive exam stress and would get even better marks, if I could conquer this aspect of my laziness.

4) Make more friends at University. Most of the people I associate with are either from, or still attend, my old high school. I suppose part of the reason I do this, is I can still see most of these people year round. But once most of these people move away for University next year (other than the ones already at mac, or planning on mac) i'm going to not have a very big social circle.