MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-listed Course mizzshell Academics 3 08-09-2010 12:08 PM
Cross Listed Course Name Patrick.O Academics 4 07-23-2010 12:38 PM
Cross-listed courses LBJ.MVP First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-18-2009 09:27 PM
cross-listed course muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 07-17-2009 01:17 AM

No profs listed?

Old 08-09-2011 at 12:08 AM   #1
justlily

Liked: 5 Times

No profs listed?
So I'm just checking out my courses on the master timetable and I noticed that for Kin and for Psych, there are no professors listed? So confused lol.

Also, was wondering who you would recommend for Math 1A03 prof?
Haskell or Barto, if anyone knows anything about these two? : )

And does anyone know why there are two lab numbers with the same time, place and day of the week?
ie)
L01 Tu 11:30 13:20 1 IAHS/451
L02 Tu 11:30 13:20 1 IAHS/451
Does that maybe mean different starting weeks because they're EOW?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011 at 07:53 AM   #2
Vaness

Liked: 0 Times

For the two courses where there is no prof listed, they probably just haven't updated it yet. Maybe they're still making changes, I mean, we still have a month before class starts!

Now, for your MATH 1A03, I have never heard of Barto, but I know that Haskell is very very nice. She is patient, and will go to lengths to help her students do well. I remember last year when everyone in her Complex Analysis class did poorly on the first midterm, so she just dropped all the marks and reallocated them to the second midterm and final.

As for the two lab locations, I have no idea. I've never been to that room before, but it's possible that it's large enough to hold two separate tutorial groups (with separate TA's). That would be my best guess!

justlily says thanks to Vaness for this post.
Old 08-09-2011 at 08:02 AM   #3
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I had Barto for 1A0/1AA3. Barto's a good prof (imo), although he has an accent that takes a week to get used to. He likes to make jokes in class and pretty entertaining. Some of the humour is derived from his (probably faked) inability to do the simpler parts of Math (the kind you learn at elementary), but he really knows his stuff when it comes to the university course contents.

His structure is to introduce a topic in the beginning of class, and do layers and layers of practice questions that get increasingly harder. He really likes teaching to the last second, if possible. There was only one time in Math 1AA3 that he let us out early.

justlily says thanks to justinsftw for this post.
Old 08-09-2011 at 10:38 AM   #4
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

PSYCH doesn't have any profs because it's taught through online web modules, so there's no actual "lecture" to attend. Your core for psych is basically a tutorial IIRC (I didn't have it during the term). Though the prof who "made" the web modules and is in all the videos is Dr. Joe Kim.
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:40 AM   #5
Luux

Liked: 2 Times

Hi, I was wondering which math is easier, MATH 1LS3 or MATH 1A03?..I just need one math course to continue into my program and no further math courses are required later on
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:49 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luux View Post
Hi, I was wondering which math is easier, MATH 1LS3 or MATH 1A03?..I just need one math course to continue into my program and no further math courses are required later on
If you don't need more math and don't plan on taking more then 1LS3 would be easier than 1A03.
Old 08-09-2011 at 12:06 PM   #7
Luux

ohh okay thanks !..what makes MATH 1LS3 easier than MATH 1A03..im just confused what the difference between them are and if u knew anyone whos taken those two and what they felt was the easier choice for someone who just needs one math credit
Old 08-09-2011 at 12:08 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

There are several threads discussing the difference(s) between the two..here is one:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=math+1ls3
Old 08-09-2011 at 12:21 PM   #9
Luux

do you anyone whose personally taken it and their opinon on them
Old 08-09-2011 at 12:41 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I don't know anyone who has taken them personally as I'm an incoming first year student as well but if you go through that thread and the several others which you can find by utilizing the 'search button'. You'll get a general idea of which math course you would want to take and which one you wouldn't want to take.

nerual says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.

MCHEDDENITE likes this.
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:04 PM   #11
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
PSYCH doesn't have any profs because it's taught through online web modules, so there's no actual "lecture" to attend. Your core for psych is basically a tutorial IIRC (I didn't have it during the term). Though the prof who "made" the web modules and is in all the videos is Dr. Joe Kim.
In that case, why are there times for the Psych cores?
If it's online, does that mean we can view the web modules and make notes at any time?
Or are the videos only online during the time of the cores? D: I hope not.
Old 08-09-2011 at 03:18 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlily View Post
If it's online, does that mean we can view the web modules and make notes at any time?
As Zimonada said, the core is like a tutorial. So of course there are times for it, because you have to physically attend. They are run by TAs, though.
Old 08-09-2011 at 06:53 PM   #13
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlily View Post
They'll post videos as the course progresses, maybe one every few days, or a few every week. Then they stay up for the rest of the term, so you can watch them when you have time (though you should keep on top of them, for sure, make sure you're doing a few modules each week, similar to attending a few classes each week for any other course). You can also pause them at any point and revisit (it'll remember where you left off), re-watch specific slides if you didn't understand something, and do the whole module again closer to midterms/exams for extra studying.
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:37 PM   #14
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
I had Barto for 1A0/1AA3. Barto's a good prof (imo), although he has an accent that takes a week to get used to. He likes to make jokes in class and pretty entertaining. Some of the humour is derived from his (probably faked) inability to do the simpler parts of Math (the kind you learn at elementary), but he really knows his stuff when it comes to the university course contents.

His structure is to introduce a topic in the beginning of class, and do layers and layers of practice questions that get increasingly harder. He really likes teaching to the last second, if possible. There was only one time in Math 1AA3 that he let us out early.
How is he on tests and quizzes / assignments / midterms / exams? Fair? D:
I like his structure, but if I don't understand anything, I'd like to get extra help. Do you think he's easy to approach / helpful?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011 at 11:41 PM   #15
justlily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
They'll post videos as the course progresses, maybe one every few days, or a few every week. Then they stay up for the rest of the term, so you can watch them when you have time (though you should keep on top of them, for sure, make sure you're doing a few modules each week, similar to attending a few classes each week for any other course). You can also pause them at any point and revisit (it'll remember where you left off), re-watch specific slides if you didn't understand something, and do the whole module again closer to midterms/exams for extra studying.
Oh, okay lol, that actually sounds really nice.
If we have any questions on the content though, can we go to Mr. Kim to ask questions? : )

Also, I'm just looking at the master timetable for Psych 1X03 but I have no idea how to read this one. O_O
Why are there so many Mo/Tu/We/Th? Why are the same time and sometime same building?
What exactly do the 'core' numbers really mean? lol

Thanks!