MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM

Not possible to get an A in Social Science courses

Old 12-01-2009 at 08:18 PM   #1
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Not possible to get an A in Social Science courses
I was talking to a friend today who told me that it is not possible to get an A in Social Sciences. Is this true? He said that Prof.'s of social sciences would never give an A. He said his Prof. told him that.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:20 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Anything is possible, but that being said, it is very difficult to get an A in social sciences, you need to go that extra mile on your papers and assignments to really really wow the prof/TA marking your work.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:28 PM   #3
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

It's like that with many humanities courses with many essays as well.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:36 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Clearly that's not the case at all.

Hard? Yeah, probably.

Impossible? Nah.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:37 PM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I got an 11 in philosophy first year. I was in Engineering and put very little effort into the course. Maybe I just had a lenient TA, but it didn't seem too difficult.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:39 PM   #6
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yeah, I definitely know people who have finished with 12s in Soc Sci courses, its not impossible.

Keep in mind that an A is anything above an 11, (anything above a 10 if you count A-). A large chunk of students get marks like that.

If you're friend said that, they're probably making excuses for why they didn't get any A's

PS- Psssh, Jean-Marc, philosophy is a humanities course I did the same thing in mine as well though. Yay us!

PPS- Congratz on the transfer!

Last edited by Marlowe : 12-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:56 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I wouldn't think any social science course is harder than any other type of course.
Old 12-01-2009 at 08:57 PM   #8
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Anything is possible, but that being said, it is very difficult to get an A in social sciences, you need to go that extra mile on your papers and assignments to really really wow the prof/TA marking your work.
It is difficult to get an A in any course (whether it is social science, humanities, science, health sci etc.).

I have taken 4 humanities courses so far (3 philosophies and 1 English), and I have received >10 in all of them. I am not sure if psychology counts as a science course or social science course, but I have also received A’s in psych. If psych is a social science course, I can tell you first-hand that it is definitely possible to get a 12!
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:09 PM   #9
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

well it isnt Health Sci
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:27 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
well it isnt Health Sci
If it was, this thread would be called:

"Not possible to get below an A in Health Science courses"

Old 12-01-2009 at 09:32 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
It is difficult to get an A in any course (whether it is social science, humanities, science, health sci etc.).

I have taken 4 humanities courses so far (3 philosophies and 1 English), and I have received >10 in all of them. I am not sure if psychology counts as a science course or social science course, but I have also received A’s in psych. If psych is a social science course, I can tell you first-hand that it is definitely possible to get a 12!
I can't agree with the first thing you wrote.

There's a lot of courses where it's not hard AT ALL to get a 12...e.g., Linguistics, Biology 1M03, and I'm sure a few first year courses from every faculty. Sure, on average one faculty may not be too much easier than any other, but individual courses may vary significantly
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:40 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It's not impossible, but it can be very hard. Social Sciences and Humanities courses can be very frustrating because there is so much subjective marking. There is no "right" and "wrong" like in Science, Engineering, Math, Health Sci, etc.
Most classes, until fourth year, are large and that means TAs do the marking and not the profs. TAs generally are harder markers than professors. It sucks even more because every TA marks differently. You might end up getting the hardest marker in the course and only managing to get C-, while some others are doing the same quality work and getting B+.

People who aren't in Soc Sci/Humanities never seem to believe me on this, but it's true. I guarantee you that if I took a paper written for a third year class, marked by a TA, and received a grade of B-, and I gave it to one of my fourth year profs, I would get an A. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-01-2009 at 09:44 PM   #13
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
If it was, this thread would be called:

"Not possible to get below an A in Health Science courses"

i was all about to start a parody thread but then thot it would be a bit much,

I was talking to a friend today who told me that it is not possible to get below an A in Health Sciences. Is this true? He said that Prof.'s of health sciences would never give below an A. He said his Prof. told him that.
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:44 PM   #14
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

It is one big difficulty people dont recognize with more "art" oriented classes. Essays introduce a huge chance factor. Will the professor mark the first essay down to scare students into working? Does the professor hold the incorrect belief that giving perfect means there is no fault in it? Some professors just want to "teach the student a lesson" when the student already knows how to work hard, they just need good marks.

Science/math courses are harder, but there IS A CORRECT ANSWER. It is possible to not make a mistake. With essays it is up to interpretation. For an even farther contrast, imagine being a student taking a Music Composition class where the professor is marking an original piece of music you wrote. It can be so subjective and most professors are very biased.

aya017, Maegs, niteskie like this.
Old 12-01-2009 at 09:49 PM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Side note: I had a TA in third year tell us that it was impossible to get perfect for the tutorial participation/attendance section of the grade. What the hell does that even mean? Someone could be completely deserving of getting 100% for their tutorial participation but the TA would refuse to give them 100% for no reason? So stupid..

Iamanonymous likes this.