MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM

Not possible to get an A in Social Science courses

Old 12-02-2009 at 03:23 PM   #46
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
It also depends on a person's luck because social science/humanities are subjective. There is apparently no right or wrong answer. This being said, the Prof. and TA's always remind you this but then they mark your damn paper like there is a specific answer that they are looking for. And so in the end, if you are lucky to have a kind marker, then you will get a good mark. If not, then you would be pissed and think it is super unfair.
I had this problem in a lot of my third year social science courses. The TA would always ask questions, looking for a specific answer (for essays, in tutorial, etc.) Even if the answer you gave was right, she would consider it "wrong" because it's not the answer she was looking for.

So annoying.
Old 12-02-2009
PTGregD
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:01 PM   #47
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
But health sci classes are harder, content wise and mark wise. That's why the marks are "inflated".
You're kidding right? Every faculty has hard classes; By definition, getting inflated marks makes your classes EASIER.

Difference is, in our hard classes, no one holds our hand.

Old 12-02-2009 at 04:19 PM   #48
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You're kidding right? Every faculty has hard classes; By definition, getting inflated marks makes your classes EASIER.

Difference is, in our hard classes, no one holds our hand.
Well that's just my experience. Like I said, I have mid-high 90s in my non-health sci courses but am scraping 80s in health sci courses. It's like they deflate our marks first before inflating them.
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:23 PM   #49
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Well that's just my experience. Like I said, I have mid-high 90s in my non-health sci courses but am scraping 80s in health sci courses. It's like they deflate our marks first before inflating them.
Probably because you have a lot more time to work than non-health sci students do.
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:27 PM   #50
hellohello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Probably because you have a lot more time to work than non-health sci students do.
If you call having 6 hours of group meetings per day EVERY DAY for a week before each assignment is due and extra on weekends, then yes. We have wayyy more time.

Believe me, I spend wayyyy less time on Chem than in any of my health sci courses.

But using your logic, I should also have a lot more time to do well on my health sci courses, which I don't. So.
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:46 PM   #51
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
If you call having 6 hours of group meetings per day EVERY DAY for a week before each assignment is due and extra on weekends, then yes. We have wayyy more time.

Believe me, I spend wayyyy less time on Chem than in any of my health sci courses.

But using your logic, I should also have a lot more time to do well on my health sci courses, which I don't. So.
Right. You're a genius (like the other health scis) in comparison to the intellectually unworthy remainder of McMaster, and you worked just as hard with the same opportunities as the other students to get your A.

Happy?
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:49 PM   #52
hellohello

Quote:
Right. You're a genius (like the other health scis) in comparison to the intellectually unworthy remainder of McMaster, and you worked just as hard with the same opportunities as the other students to get your A.

Happy?
I'm just tired of people who think health sci courses are a joke and the program guarantees good marks no matter what you do. We work hard in our program, just like everyone else. We deserve SOME credit for this.

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2009 at 04:59 PM   #53
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
I'm just tired of people who think health sci courses are a joke and the program guarantees good marks no matter what you do. We work hard in our program, just like everyone else. We deserve SOME credit for this.
Yeah well, we (non health science students) work as hard as you guys do. I would even argue that some work twice harder than you (health science students) but still don't receive SOME credit for it because they are not health science students. Of course you won't think that cause a lot of you health science students think that you work harder than everyone else and if someone is not a health science major, they are not as hardworking as health science majors.

We also deserve credit for our hardwork, but since we are not health science students. We won't get any fair mark unlike you guys because you are basically favored.
Old 12-02-2009 at 05:04 PM   #54
hellohello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamanonymous View Post
Yeah well, we (non health science students) work as hard as you guys do. I would even argue that some work twice harder than you (health science students) but still don't receive SOME credit for it because they are not health science students. Of course you won't think that cause a lot of you health science students think that you work harder than everyone else and if someone is not a health science major, they are not as hardworking as health science majors.
... Nobody gives you less credit because you're not in health sci. With the exception of one time, I have never heard anyone in health sci look down upon any other program. We mostly make fun of ourselves for our ridiculously high standards and our lack of social life.
Notice that I said "we work just as hard" and not "harder than" in my previous post.

If you still think we are condescending or whatever, maybe you should look at what you've been saying (even in this thread) about health scis. You guys totally bring that upon yourselves.

And unless you've taken a health sci elective, you have no basis for any of your arguments.

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2009 at 06:41 PM   #55
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
And unless you've taken a health sci elective, you have no basis for any of your arguments.
That's hardly true. You've taken both health sci and science courses, but that just means that your position is subjective regarding both health sci and science, not that its more valid than the position of someone who has not taken health sci courses...
Old 12-02-2009 at 06:47 PM   #56
hellohello

Quote:
That's hardly true. You've taken both health sci and science courses, but that just means that your position is subjective regarding both health sci and science, not that its more valid than the position of someone who has not taken health sci courses...
lol what? Of course your opinion ON THE DIFFICULTY OF A CLASS is not valid if you haven't taken the class! How do you form an opinion on the difficulty of a class if you've never taken it? By word of mouth of other people who also haven't taken it? lol.
Old 12-02-2009 at 06:50 PM   #57
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, most of the time it is rumours and whatnot dictating peoples' opinions on Health Science courses, but I've heard so many people talk about it so it's hard to tell whether or not they have any real justification or not.
Old 12-02-2009 at 06:52 PM   #58
hellohello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, most of the time it is rumours and whatnot dictating peoples' opinions on Health Science courses, but I've heard so many people talk about it so it's hard to tell whether or not they have any real justification or not.
The health sci courses apparently change dramatically from one year to another too, which may be a source of the confusion. So a class that was super hard last year might be a lot easier this year, and vice versa. But seriously, they ARE rumours.

Fa11enAnge1 likes this.
Old 12-02-2009 at 07:01 PM   #59
plums

Liked: 2 Times

everyone needs to stop fooling themselves....

health sci courses are EASY.
humanities/soc sci courses have a medium difficulty level.
science courses are hard.....much harder than soc sci/humanities courses.

Everyone who says differently is in denial and wants to make themselves feel better.

THE END.