MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM

Not possible to get an A in Social Science courses

Old 12-03-2009 at 10:43 PM   #91
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Okay, I need to weigh in.....
Rohan, this is one of the best and well-worded posts on this topic I've read. Thanks a lot for this.

Last edited by Taunton : 12-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2009 at 01:08 PM   #92
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't think it's fair to say "Health sci students know what they want and arts student don't". I know that was a generalization and you don't mean it for every single student, but I don't agree that it's even a generalization that can be used here.

No one can say if other people do or don't know what they want to do when they graduate. The only person who knows that is the individual. You might think someone has no career goals because they take like 20 different electives and don't seem to have a clear path, but for all you know, they could be doing exactly what they want.

You know what I mean? I know it was just a generalization, but I don't think that's a generalization anyone can make.

Iamanonymous, soltintal, TTHX like this.
Old 12-04-2009 at 02:41 PM   #93
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
I just mean to say that they tend to be more mature, and more goal oriented because they have decided what they want to do in life and will drive forward with no hesitation.

On the other hand, what I have seen in the Arts faculties are students who are extremely intelligent but lack the desire to confine to programs as regimented as Health Science.
I would have to disagree with you there. I'm in multimedia specifically because that's exactly what I want to be doing.
Old 12-04-2009 at 07:22 PM   #94
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Dat Ass

macsci, TTHX like this.
Old 12-17-2009 at 09:23 PM   #95
aurry

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
to hellohello, I have taken a health science course. One only.
It was the easiest biology-type course I've taken at mac.

on the first day of class what does the prof do? he has a slide with the average from last years class. the average was around 80.
our class average for the first two tests were each above 75.

OMG! The same thing happened to me! The course I took was exclusively for Health Science students but a Bio friend and myself got special permission to take it - even though we didn't have the pre-requisites (and we got the two highest marks in the class, btw ;P). The Prof also apologized for the course having an exam! I was shocked.

Anyway, a family member of mine teaches at the McMaster Medical school and also helps to organize the teaching material and so rubs shoulders with a lot of people who teach the Health Science courses. She asked them about the high marks and they said that they were under a lot of pressure to give out high marks and that their courses were heavily based on self and peer evaluations. In the course that I took, even for a horrible presentation, people still gave out high marks. The marking scheme, a 7 point system, didn't go below 50% - so it would be impossible for anyone to fail.

Sorry, back to my story. My family member asked if a person who got an 11 or 12 average in Science courses would be "more impressive" then a Health Science student with a 12 average and the consensus was "yes".

They all know about it. Its a pink elephant in the room and no one is choosing to say anything about it.

Iamanonymous, Kathy2, Taunton all say thanks to aurry for this post.

Old 12-18-2009 at 12:04 PM   #96
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Health science is an easy option in the end.. i mean the biggest thing about university is keeping that GPA up. Most health sci kids have 10+ GPA because of its easiness, the professors spoon feed many of these kids. Yes the hardest part is getting in.... but once your in your pretty much set. I could have got in and I regret not going.. now I'm stuck in Life Science which is 1000x times harder.

There was another thread on covering all this health sci business.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:38 PM   #97
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Let I remind everyone that we are not turning this into another Bash Health Sciences thread.

There are many comments so far that are borderline breaking the MacInsiders Terms of Service. If this continues the thread will be closed.

Thanks,
Danielle.
MacInsiders VP Admin

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-18-2009 at 12:41 PM   #98
joshk

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Health science is an easy option in the end.. i mean the biggest thing about university is keeping that GPA up. Most health sci kids have 10+ GPA because of its easiness, the professors spoon feed many of these kids. Yes the hardest part is getting in.... but once your in your pretty much set. I could have got in and I regret not going.. now I'm stuck in Life Science which is 1000x times harder.

I never post here but i had to create an account for this.

I know plenty of people who have been in the mcmaster science program who transferred into the health sciences program. its almost always the case that they got higher marks in the science program.

you just sound like another kid in life sci who was rejected from health sci, got into uni, saw you werent smart enough to pull off the high grades for med school, and got bitter about those people doing better than you

p.s. i was not a health sci student myself but I did take both science and health sci courses when i was an undergrad at mac

astudent, hellohello all say thanks to joshk for this post.

astudent, hellohello like this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 12:48 PM   #99
andrew22
Account Locked

and this is why so many laughs can be had, people who should be the least snobby about their program, are the most snobby. and bashing is only going to make this program more popular for any highschool students who read this thread and want high grades. we are probably slightly raising the demand
Old 12-18-2009 at 05:27 PM   #100
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post

Yes, Life Science is (probably) harder, but it really isn't that hard.
It depends on the type of learning you prefer - I prefer traditional science and humanities courses, so the Science faculty is a lot better suited for my kind of learning. If you like touchy-feely (meant in the least offensive way possible ) stuff, health science is probably better for you.

Really, there's too many kids that are just in undergrad for the sake of going to medical school. Most people that come in wanting to go to medical school leave with an entirely different idea of what they want to do in life - even students that make many of the GPA cut-offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk View Post
you just sound like another kid in life sci who was rejected from health sci, got into uni, saw you werent smart enough to pull off the high grades for med school, and got bitter about those people doing better than you
Those personal insults seem wholly uneccessary. Is that the only reason you created an account?
Old 12-18-2009 at 05:43 PM   #101
andrew22
Account Locked

well hellohello also really likes the insults, so josh isn't alone
Old 12-18-2009 at 10:10 PM   #102
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
well hellohello also really likes the insults, so josh isn't alone
Well you seem to get your kicks out of bashing a faculty, and I really wanted to try it!

I do agree that the personal insult might have been too much, but I agree with the essence of what he's saying.

But read back objectively at what you've (collectively) been saying about ALL of the health scis, and look at Josh's comment, and see if his comment is more insulting or yours.

I'm sorry health sci gets more attention than your faculty. Why are you so bitter about it though?

Last edited by hellohello : 12-18-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2009 at 11:09 PM   #103
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
I'm sorry health sci gets more attention than your faculty. Why are you so bitter about it though?
To be fair, most of the attention is from people like him. If you didn't have the health sci haters, I don't think your faculty would be talked about nearly as much. :p

Infinity, Kevin S, Taunton like this.
Old 12-18-2009 at 11:22 PM   #104
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
But read back objectively at what you've (collectively) been saying about ALL of the health scis, and look at Josh's comment, and see if his comment is more insulting or yours.
*reads*

Yep, his was more insulting.

iRetaliate likes this.
Old 12-20-2009 at 06:15 PM   #105
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshk View Post
I never post here but i had to create an account for this.

I know plenty of people who have been in the mcmaster science program who transferred into the health sciences program. its almost always the case that they got higher marks in the science program.

p.s. i was not a health sci student myself but I did take both science and health sci courses when i was an undergrad at mac
wow you are harsh.

first of all you don't know me. I never wanted to go to med school and nor do I have any plans associated with med school, which is why i never bothered with health sci. I've been here for two years and I've learned that your degree doesn't really matter. In the end a student in Humanities can apply to med school. I'll admit my GPA won't get me into a med school around here but that's not what i want to do.. and assuming that all "kids" enter life sci to get into medical school is stupid. I took life science in the end because it leaves the most options for career paths. I don't get bitter of people doing better than me.. that's good for them. I'm living out my own life and could care less about what other people doing. I just like to share my opinion and express what i see and hear around me. I'm truly sorry that this is going the wrong way.

Last edited by Infinity : 12-20-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Iamanonymous likes this.