MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Psychology courses considered as a Social Science course? VoyozooT Academics 4 06-08-2010 11:38 PM
Admitted into Social Science and told i wont be able to switch into a Science program MariaQ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 05-23-2010 03:47 PM
easy humanities and social science courses? shreya s. Academics 24 05-02-2010 11:16 AM
Urgent: Science And Social Science Macpasses Sold Out! casey.park MacInsiders Announcements 29 09-06-2009 09:04 AM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM

Not possible to get an A in Social Science courses

Old 12-20-2009 at 06:32 PM   #106
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I don't think it's fair to say "Health sci students know what they want and arts student don't". I know that was a generalization and you don't mean it for every single student, but I don't agree that it's even a generalization that can be used here.

No one can say if other people do or don't know what they want to do when they graduate. The only person who knows that is the individual. You might think someone has no career goals because they take like 20 different electives and don't seem to have a clear path, but for all you know, they could be doing exactly what they want.
I agree with you, doesn't mean that a person who is taking 20 different electives has no career goals. They could be taking it because they are interested in it or maybe they want to learn more about a particular topic they are interested in.

Infinity says thanks to Iamanonymous for this post.
Old 12-25-2009 at 02:53 PM   #107
astudent

Liked: 6 Times

everyone just needs to chill and focus on whatever it is that they're doing.
my two cents:
I certainly think that health sciences students are getting their marks because they certainly deserve them and work hard to get them.
The difference is just that the learning style is totally different.

For instance, for a regular life sci bio test you would spend at least 2,3 our reviewing your material making sure you can recall everything you've been taught on the exam. However, for a health sci bio test, you're just given a random problem pulled out of any possible situation in the world, and you might have to hypothesize what's going on and design experiments to prove your hypothesis. There's not really much you can do to study for a test like this.
So, if you and your life sci friend both have a bio exam the next day. Your friend might be pulling an all-nighter, whereas you might be out getting high with friends after having reviewed your stuff for about an hour.
Is the health sci test infinitely easier than the bio test? probably not.
Would people who ace the life sci bio test ace the health sci test and vice versa? probably not.
It all comes down to the nature of the learning.
Old 12-25-2009 at 02:59 PM   #108
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by astudent View Post
everyone just needs to chill and focus on whatever it is that they're doing.
my two cents:
I certainly think that health sciences students are getting their marks because they certainly deserve them and work hard to get them.
The difference is just that the learning style is totally different.

For instance, for a regular life sci bio test you would spend at least 2,3 our reviewing your material making sure you can recall everything you've been taught on the exam. However, for a health sci bio test, you're just given a random problem pulled out of any possible situation in the world, and you might have to hypothesize what's going on and design experiments to prove your hypothesis. There's not really much you can do to study for a test like this.
So, if you and your life sci friend both have a bio exam the next day. Your friend might be pulling an all-nighter, whereas you might be out getting high with friends after having reviewed your stuff for about an hour.
Is the health sci test infinitely easier than the bio test? probably not.
Would people who ace the life sci bio test ace the health sci test and vice versa? probably not.
It all comes down to the nature of the learning.
Yeah, a science student would never do that...
Old 12-25-2009 at 03:15 PM   #109
astudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Yeah, a science student would never do that...
wow, you missed the point totally. The fact that a health sciences student is able to do this does NOT mean that the test this student is going to write the next day is in anyway EASIER than the test the life sciences student it going to write the next day; which is what most people - including YOU - have been insinuating throughout this thread.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:26 PM   #110
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
wow, you missed the point totally. The fact that a health sciences student is able to do this does NOT mean that the test this student is going to write the next day is in anyway EASIER than the test the life sciences student it going to write the next day; which is what most people - including YOU - have been insinuating throughout this thread.
Lesson learned from thread:

Health science students are unable to detect sarcasm, even when it's accompanied by ridiculous emoticons.

Last edited by Mahratta : 12-25-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:39 PM   #111
usman_4_9

Liked: 0 Times

As others have mentioned above, let's not turn this into a "Let's bash health scis" thread.

The learning style of health sci is utterly different from that of other programs. This is what makes this program unique. Now the reason why health sci students represent the top 12% (only 12% of McMaster students achieve a GPA of 9.5 or higher - data from two years ago) population of Mac students is because most people are very hard-working to begin with. To have gotten into the program first of all, students must have had exceptionally high averages, balanced with extra-curriculars that they personally feel passionate towards.

For those of you who think that health sci is all about "gimme marks" then I guess you should've applied to, and if accepted, enrolled in the program. It's too late now to hate on (I say, envy) health sci students.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:45 PM   #112
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usman_4_9 View Post
The learning style of health sci is utterly different from that of other programs. This is what makes this program unique. Now the reason why health sci students represent the top 12% (only 12% of McMaster students achieve a GPA of 9.5 or higher - data from two years ago) population of Mac students is because most people are very hard-working to begin with. To have gotten into the program first of all, students must have had exceptionally high averages, balanced with extra-curriculars that they personally feel passionate towards.
Right. Health science students are superior übermenschen...we gathered that from the arguments of the all other health science students.

Quote:
For those of you who think that health sci is all about "gimme marks" then I guess you should've applied to, and if accepted, enrolled in the program. It's too late now to hate on (I say, envy) health sci students.
Not everyone is just after marks, and I don't think you necessarily have to just be after marks to think that health science students have an easy 4-year ride.

We recognize that the program is very different - that doesn't take away from the argument at hand, however.

Last edited by Mahratta : 12-25-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:48 PM   #113
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

the smear job has been so good lately. anyone reading these threads from mac or in highschool will know whats up. Thanks for helping usman and astudent
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:49 PM   #114
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
the smear job has been so good lately. anyone reading these threads from mac or in highschool will know whats up. Thanks for helping usman and astudent
Envious, are we?
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:52 PM   #115
astudent

Quote:
Lesson learned from thread:

Health science students are unable to detect sarcasm, even when it's accompanied by ridiculous emoticons.
pfft, well 'overlooking' your 'sarcasm' was the polite thing to do, because otherwise it needed to be said that when the average science student is out getting high with friends after having reviewed your stuff for about an hour. night before the bio test it's usually NOT because there is nothing to study.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:52 PM   #116
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Envious, are we?
what? no we're on the same side w/e
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:54 PM   #117
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
pfft, well 'overlooking' your 'sarcasm' was the polite thing to do, because otherwise it needed to be said that when the average science student is out getting high with friends after having reviewed your stuff for about an hour. night before the bio test it's usually NOT because there is nothing to study.
Cool, you're proving my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
what? no we're on the same side w/e
Yo, I really should start putting </sarcasm> tags around my posts.
Old 12-25-2009 at 04:55 PM   #118
andrew22
Account Locked

envious, are we?

doesn't make sense in any context? :S i really dont knw....
Old 12-25-2009 at 05:02 PM   #119
astudent

Quote:
Cool, you're proving my point.
if your point is "health sciences is NOT easier, but the nature of their program does not require them to practise traditional methods of learning/testing" then i must say, i am glad to be able to help prove your point.
Old 12-25-2009 at 08:50 PM   #120
randomness

Liked: 0 Times

I love how this thread has digressed from what it was intended for. Keep up the great work =D

Oh...back to the topic at hand (however late my post is...in comparison to when this thread was started) it's definitely possible to get an A in a soc sci course. I remember a lot of people in my first year poli sci course getting an A, so no worries.

Also, to the topic that everyone has digressed to. There was one thing that didn't make much sense to me. If those that got into health sci originally had really high marks in high school, then how are they still getting these high marks, cause to my understanding high school was purely memorization and regurgitation. And, how about those that didn't do very well in high school because they're not good at memorizing and regurgitating information who have gotten into life sci for instance? Hmm...