MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hotmail not working guest_295 General Discussion 13 03-04-2011 11:35 AM
DC++ not working... bcars General Discussion 3 03-02-2011 03:20 PM
Key Card Not Working! robots Les Prince Forum 4 03-01-2010 05:11 PM
is this doable? Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-14-2009 09:20 PM
Working at McMaster Nino First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 72 09-17-2008 10:15 PM

NOT working in the summer - is it doable?

Old 05-02-2011 at 04:39 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

NOT working in the summer - is it doable?
I'm hoping to get some opinions on this, because I'm not sure what to do.

What do you think about not working in the summer (as well as not doing summer school)? I recently discovered that my summer job is not at all what it was advertised to be, and I want to quit immediately. I have enough OSAP to cover my expenses for next year, so I don't see the point of putting myself through a shitty summer job for minimum wage when I can get by otherwise.

What do you think? Is this stupid? I know I will have to pay back OSAP eventually, but this job is causing me such a headache, I can't imagine working through the summer like this. I plan on volunteering and spending my time other productive ways so I'm not just laying around the house, but I've never NOT worked in the summer, so I feel very weird about this.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 05-02-2011 at 04:43 PM   #2
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

I would leave if you hate the job so much, definitely not worth it since you don't direly need the money. I've got OSAP and I don't have a summer job. But I'm not sure if it's 'doable' this is my first summer as university student lol.

If anything I don't think its stupid at all. Sure you may not be used to it but I get the feeling its very normal for many people out there. I'd say as long as you are using your time productively it's as good as any summer with a paid job.
Old 05-02-2011 at 04:44 PM   #3
Maria Daniel

Liked: 3 Times

It probably is doable, especially since OSAP does take into account your summer income (in this case, it'll be lack of) when granting you a loan for the upcoming year.

i guess it depends on how badly you want to get the hours and make this extra cash. If the job is as bad for you as you say it is, and the relief that you'd get by leaving surpasses the setback that not having a summer income poses, then i guess its worth it! definitely put thought into whether or not quitting is worth accumulating extra loans from osap.

another option may be looking for another job. i know summer jobs are starting to dwindle at this point, but there may still be some out there, since the highschool kids aren't out and available as yet! may be stay at this job until you can find another more likeable job?

just out of curiosity, what does this job that you're doing now entail?? if it is okay for me to ask, that is. (:
Old 05-02-2011 at 04:46 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Last summer, my best friend had a co-op job lined up, but the company went under and she was left without a summer job. She debated going back to her old summer job, but decided she'd take some time to do other productive things instead of working. She volunteered at a few places, travelled a bit, and ended up loving her summer. If she went back to last May and decided again, she'd stick with her decision.

That being said, I can't imagine not working for the summer. I don't like either of my jobs (paperwork bores the crap out of me), but if I did anything else, I think I'd spend the whole summer calculating the opportunity cost of my decision.

It's really up to you. If you think the job is unbearable and don't want to look for another one, then I think it's great to spend the summer volunteering and doing things you want to do.
Old 05-02-2011 at 04:51 PM   #5
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

I think you should at least find another job or do something productive at least because when September comes, you'll realize that you should've spent your summer more wisely. Go volunteer!!
Old 05-02-2011 at 04:59 PM   #6
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

osap is money you'll eventually have to pay back. it might suck for the summer, but its quite possible that you will have a smaller debt in the long run if you have a job
Old 05-02-2011 at 05:36 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If it's that unbearable, and you don't need the money, then by all means, quit your job.

If I was in your situation, I'd probably look for another job ASAP. May be you should work part-time? It's more flexible and allows you to do other things as well.
Old 05-02-2011 at 06:02 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You will be probably kicking yourself in the arse later on in life because of the unnecessary debt you will have incurred over time and not taking advantage of this no-interest time for your student loan.. (in general, for whoever is reading this)

I seem to recall you're graduating soon(right?), so its not like you'll be adding debt for a few more years. I'd try really hard to get something part time, but if volunteering and keeping busy will make you happy, then whos to say that, in itself, is not an investment?
Old 05-02-2011 at 06:20 PM   #9
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

You are going to be working the rest of your life, I'd think it's safe to say if you don't want to work this summer, then don't. Take advantage of it and volunteer.
Old 05-02-2011 at 06:51 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Thanks for all your replies! The job is essentially stacking and unstacking boxes. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned about this, but I turned down some great jobs (higher paying jobs, or jobs where my friends would be my coworkers and supervisors) because this job was advertised in the job ad AND the interview as something much better.

As for graduating, I could graduate, but I'm rearranging my degree so I have at least one more year left of school.
Old 05-02-2011 at 07:50 PM   #11
SydVicious
Account Locked

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Thanks for all your replies! The job is essentially stacking and unstacking boxes. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned about this, but I turned down some great jobs (higher paying jobs, or jobs where my friends would be my coworkers and supervisors) because this job was advertised in the job ad AND the interview as something much better.

As for graduating, I could graduate, but I'm rearranging my degree so I have at least one more year left of school.
I think you should work, I've worked every summer so far and had one of the shittiest most boring office jobs possible, but I prevailed and stuck it out, I came back every fall and look to kick some butt in school, so I don't end up having a shitty job like that for the rest of my life. And it shows in my marks. By April, I kind of forget how bad the real world is, and am not as motivated too succeed, I just get right back into the ring to remind me............ and I made some great contacts for later.
Old 05-02-2011 at 07:55 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

I try to think of it as "I just need to stick it out for a few months", but it almost seems unbearable. I had the worst experience of my life last summer, working a crappy job and in another city, and I was completely miserable. I spent over $1000 in four months for gas/bus rides just to come home on weekends and get away - I was very, very unhappy. I tend to use that as my "I already through enough crappy jobs" excuse
Old 05-02-2011 at 09:31 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Why not invest in the stock market?