MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
SocSci wanting to switch to Science vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-04-2010 08:32 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
Ualberta student wanting to transfer to McMaster Engineering Oilers Academics 1 11-09-2008 02:22 PM

Nursing Student wanting to take ConcertBand?

Old 06-27-2010 at 11:58 PM   #1
quiipao

Liked: 0 Times

Nursing Student wanting to take ConcertBand?
Hi

I currently just logged off SOLAR after applying for my nursing courses (I'm going into Nursing I in September).

For my electives, I was hoping to take Music Ensemble (1G03) which is the concert band (I know that I will have to audition in September). Just incase, I chose arthistory as a backup.

However, when I tried to register for concert band, they said that I required a prerequisite/permission in order to take the course??

I took art history to fill the space, but I still really want to do the concert band!

I believe I can still change my courses around (within 7 days?). However, do I need to email/contact someone about taking concert band?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:36 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiipao View Post
Hi

I currently just logged off SOLAR after applying for my nursing courses (I'm going into Nursing I in September).

For my electives, I was hoping to take Music Ensemble (1G03) which is the concert band (I know that I will have to audition in September). Just incase, I chose arthistory as a backup.

However, when I tried to register for concert band, they said that I required a prerequisite/permission in order to take the course??

I took art history to fill the space, but I still really want to do the concert band!

I believe I can still change my courses around (within 7 days?). However, do I need to email/contact someone about taking concert band?

Thanks in advance!
SOLAR will re-open on July 12th, close sometime in August and then open again a weekish later. You have plenty of time to switch around your courses.

As for Music, I can't check it right now... I guess McMaster is allocating all its resources to MUGSI... But when the website comes back up there should be some information in the music department website.

Edit: I got on right after I posted this... Apparently when they refer to auditions, they mean the audition to get into the music program. That happened last year in Feb-April. You should contact the Music department tomorrow and ask them if there is anything you can do to get a spot in the course. Just call McMaster, 0 for operator and ask for the Music department.

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-28-2010 at 12:49 AM   #3
quiipao

I'll give them a call for sure

Thanks so much!!!
Old 06-28-2010 at 07:56 AM   #4
PaperPhoenix

Hi! I'm in the McMaster University Choir, and I always have this problem too.

The Music 1/2/3/4G03 courses can never be added till the very last minute, so you've made the right choice by putting in a back up course.

They're actually referring to the audition that usually takes place in the first week of September, not the auditions in Feb-Apr, those are for the actual practical studies of a single instrument for a non-music student, 1EE6.

So all you can do is wait until September and sign up for an audition at their Clubsfest table, or go to the room to the right of room 120 in Togo Salmon Hall and look for the Band and Choir Office for sign up sheets on the door.

Upon successful audition, they will then give you a waiver and permission to add the course on SOLAR. Depending on how fast they process students, this can be done before the course Drop/Add date for term 1. However, if it is after, you will have to contact the School of the Arts and have them add it for you.

Ensembles are always really fun, and it's good to enjoy yourself and get a credit at the same time!
Good Luck!
Specialization