MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
Alternate Offers amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-10-2010 04:54 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
Conditional Offers yevenbother First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 07-15-2009 11:20 PM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Offers of Admission

Old 04-06-2008 at 06:15 AM   #91
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzmullett View Post
Chad do you know when we receive the booklets in the mail about how to sign up for courses/the courses available, etc?

Thanks!!!
There is programming in the summer starting the 25th of June and lasting until the 11th of July (or so I remember...) on weekdays that allows you to come to campus and get help picking classes related to your faculty. It is called Summer Orientation Days. I'm actually working for the First Year Experience Office, and I'm responsible for devleoping programming on these days.

Otherwise, as for information in the mail, it likely won't come until after the acceptance deadline, which I heard was sometime at the end of May.

As for the course calendars that Chad mentioned, they're normally available in print from Titles, the bookstore in April. So if you're on campus you can buy one. Last year they gave them out during the Summer Orientation days, but I'm not sure if they are doing the same this year or not.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-06-2008 at 01:26 PM   #92
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakib View Post
[hi, chad....i studied in india...till grade 10...and then came to saint john , new brunswick....and doin my high school, i would like to join ....any kind of groups or committees....but the problem i faced when i came here...is the...cultural gap....in grade 11....i wanted to represent something...but then i wasnt sure..and i had no information about canadian style of education....cuz i came from a totally different...region... however i am looking to do something in mcmaster.....and in regards to writing article....does it have to be university or personal experience oriented
Hi Rakib,

There are plenty of clubs to get involved with at McMaster once you arrive here in September. Just come to CLUBSFEST which takes place during Welcome Week (early September). There will be PLENTY of info about it here on MacInsiders as we get closer to the date.

You can see by clicking here, that there are plenty of cultural clubs to make you feel welcome and socialize with others from India. McMaster is very diverse in their student body, and you'll enjoy it here.

Of course we welcome everyone to join the MacInsiders team come September. Help spread the word!
Old 04-06-2008 at 02:03 PM   #93
rakib

Liked: 0 Times

hi, iwas wandering if you could post some videos....i have watched..the ones on the video section....like the welcome week and the buzz....but i was wandering if u have others like life at mcmaster....residence ...videos...if it is possible...thanks
Old 04-06-2008 at 02:26 PM   #94
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

We dont have any videos of people in res, as there are privacy issues if we go into residences without explicit permission from everyone who wants to be on video.

Other than residence, what other videos were you looking for?
Old 04-06-2008 at 03:22 PM   #95
rakib

[hmm....sry for tht....i wasnt sure....anything...fo r a first years student....life at mcmaster....academic life...intramurals... students testimonials...about different...programss ...i m just saying...if u have...any of these videos....it would be cool...get to know more...thanks
Old 04-07-2008 at 07:24 PM   #96
Aestas

On the course calendar, 4th year mechanical engineers have to complete "15-16 units approved technical electives, including 13 units from required option courses." Since there are 3 units left, can you take courses from another engineering discipline ? What constitutes as a "unit"?

Yeah, yeah, it's probably too early to be looking at that stuff, but I've been comparing 4th year mech/civil engineering programs at UWO and Mac so I can get a feel of where each program is taking me. I'm anxiously waiting for my May Mac tour! Hopefully, the tour will either make or break my decision!
Old 04-07-2008 at 08:22 PM   #97
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Unfortunately some of the unit levels for Eng courses are a little different, so my explanation is going to be off until an Engineer answers you.

To put it simply, a one term class (sept-dec or jan-april) is three units. A six unit class is for both terms (sept-april).

The value number of the units has to do with the amount of time you spend learning. Typically a three unit course has two or three hours of lecture a week and zero to two hours of tutorial or lab (it depends on the faculty here, but for most courses you spend 3-4 hours a week in some sort of classroom). Since a six unit course is both terms, it would be the same amount of hours for both terms.

Where it gets tricky is some eng courses are two units, some four, some three, some six, and some seven.

As for the question about courses...maybe. You would need to meet prerequisites (A certain set of criteria. For example, in order to take first year calculus you must have taken it in high school) before you could take a class.

I have no idea what technical electives are...so I can't help you any further.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-07-2008 at 10:10 PM   #98
Aestas

I guess maybe I'll email a liaison officer... thanks anyway! The engineers are probably too busy to surf the web!
Old 04-09-2008 at 11:11 PM   #99
marauderlove

Liked: 9 Times

Aestas, McMaster is known for it's engineering program. We're one of the top schools for it, and I think you'll really enjoy being an engineer here. We're really tight and have a presence on campus that no other university can match!!
Old 04-09-2008 at 11:12 PM   #100
monicatrisha

Honestly, waiting for these damn acceptence letters or notifications is the most stressful time ever! It's already early April and I've only heard from one university that I'm not even interested in! I'm wondering how strict Mac is about admissions cut off. cause I'm 1% off admissions for nursing :S and how often does Mac give out alternative offers? Cause i just really want to go to mac
Old 04-09-2008 at 11:34 PM   #101
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

monicatrisha,

the admissions cut off is based on the applicants from the previous year, and is supposed to be a sort of guideline for applying. your acceptance will all depend on the marks your peers recieved this year. if there were a large number of students with high marks, then getting in may be difficult, if your marks are lower.

As for the alternate offers, it depends on how many people choose Mac from the first round of letters. If many accept, then they will send out fewer second round letters, with those at the higher end of the marks spectrum getting the letters first. But for actual numbers...we don't have that sort of information.

If you don't get into Mac you can always go to another school and transfer, or re-apply next year.

Old 04-10-2008 at 12:06 AM   #102
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Don't give up hope yet, people are still getting their acceptance letters as they trickle out. I know it's stressful, but it makes getting the letter that much more exciting

I hope you get in!
Old 04-10-2008 at 12:22 AM   #103
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

This waiting game that universities play with us poor prospective students is so mean! I've felt like just accepting McMaster's offer instead of waiting for Waterloo to accept me just because I'm tired of waiting...

I've been telling my friend who really wants to go to Mac that he should apply to a program he makes the cut-off for just in case and then transfer into his program of choice afterwards... Not sure if it'd work quite as well as it does in my mind though. :P

Edit: Said friend also wants to know how the weight room is. xD;

Last edited by Iman : 04-10-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-10-2008 at 01:05 AM   #104
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

McMaster's fitness center is called "The Pulse"... and its BRAND NEW (the whole building is new just last year).

The Pulse Fitness Centre is one of the largest University Fitness Centres in Canada with over 20,000 square feet of space. The Pulse Strength Training area provides over 7,000 square feet of resistance training equipment from Hammer Strength and Atlantis.

http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/faci...ulse/index.htm

http://www.athrec.mcmaster.c a/fitness/index.htm
Old 04-10-2008 at 10:15 AM   #105
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
This waiting game that universities play with us poor prospective students is so mean! I've felt like just accepting McMaster's offer instead of waiting for Waterloo to accept me just because I'm tired of waiting...

I've been telling my friend who really wants to go to Mac that he should apply to a program he makes the cut-off for just in case and then transfer into his program of choice afterwards... Not sure if it'd work quite as well as it does in my mind though.

Edit: Said friend also wants to know how the weight room is. xD;
Yup, Iman, you can technically be accepted into one program, and take the course components neccessary for the other program if you don't get in.