MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conditional Offer Cleared... Now??? cory_1991 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-15-2010 11:33 AM
Meeting the conditional offer - help!! california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 07-02-2010 04:47 PM
Conditional offer question Sam321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-01-2010 07:31 AM
Conditional Offer Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-10-2009 06:51 AM
Conditional offer question Boolean Academics 6 05-21-2009 03:16 PM

Conditional Offers

Old 05-08-2008 at 06:08 PM   #1
yevenbother

Liked: 0 Times

Conditional Offers
I was just wondering how picky McMaster was about their conditional offers. Do they automatically reject you if you drop a percent below the conditional offer?
Old 05-08-2008 at 10:41 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

If you do not meet the terms of the conditional offer you will be rejected. If you are 0.1% lower than the average stated in your offer you still are not meeting the terms, and thus your offer will be recinded.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-23-2008 at 10:52 PM   #3
jlee0590

So are you saying that there is NO chance of getting into Mac if failing to meet the conditions?
Old 05-24-2008 at 12:27 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

I'm not sure how picky they are, but chances are that if you end up failing a course or doing really poorly in a course and dropping much lower than the average on the offer then the offer will be recinded. The offer clearly states what their expectations are, so be sure not to slack off after receiving the initial offer because your marks still count!
Old 05-24-2008 at 01:03 AM   #5
jlee0590

Well in my condition, my marks are fine, but I'm coming from the States through the IB program. I am required to get my IB Diploma and a minimum of 31 points to not have my offer taken away! But the situation becomes a little more complicated for me because I do not get my actual scores until July and I am deciding between U of T or Mac. U of T requires that I only get my IB Diploma, but Mac requires a certain score and above. If I get like a 29 total score and Mac rejects my admission, where am I going to go?!!!!
Old 05-27-2008 at 12:26 AM   #6
Slania

Liked: 1 Time

If I don't get a residence offer or something by May 28...is it possible that I'll get an offer later? For example if there is a room available after May 28, or if I get a 78 average for my final mark?
Old 05-27-2008 at 12:44 PM   #7
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Jlee;

With IB scores in general, what happens is that most universities (including McMaster) will choose to judge you on the basis of which set of scores works out more favourably to you. For example, if your IB scores don't make the cut, but your regular school grades do, then you can still get in, and vice versa. (That's why you need both transcripts!) They do the same thing for entrance awards - whichever set of grades gets you a higher entrance award are the set that they will choose.

I would reccomend going to your teachers and asking them for a predicted grade - what they think you are going to get on the IB exams (My teachers were almost bang on when I asked them) , and that should give you a better idea wether or not you are in the clear or not.

Cheers!
Old 05-27-2008 at 05:08 PM   #8
Victor K

If your average is less than what the condition is, you will be rejected. Simple as that. In regards to residence, if your average is less than 78, you will be put into a waiting list. The list is in the order of your average. For example, if you have 77.99% you will be before a kid with 77.70%.

Hope it helps.
Old 05-27-2008 at 06:01 PM   #9
jlee0590

Thanks Cubit!!!
Old 05-27-2008 at 08:06 PM   #10
Avneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor K View Post
If your average is less than what the condition is, you will be rejected. Simple as that. In regards to residence, if your average is less than 78, you will be put into a waiting list. The list is in the order of your average. For example, if you have 77.99% you will be before a kid with 77.70%.

Hope it helps.
I read on the McMaster facebook group that residence accomodation is reserved for you when you get your acceptance. The guy said that it is not based on your final marks. I didn't know what to believe maybe you can clear this up...because when I got my acceptence my average was 78.something and under residence it said it was reserved for me. However, if my marks fall below 78 by my final marks, do I no longer get the reservation?
Old 05-27-2008 at 10:25 PM   #11
Slania

I just asked them a similar question, and they replied that

"
Please note that your final average is not considered for residence."
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:07 AM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Looks like it may be because some people don't get their final marks until after acceptance of res.
Old 05-28-2008 at 03:54 PM   #13
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avneet View Post
I read on the McMaster facebook group that residence accomodation is reserved for you when you get your acceptance. The guy said that it is not based on your final marks. I didn't know what to believe maybe you can clear this up...because when I got my acceptence my average was 78.something and under residence it said it was reserved for me. However, if my marks fall below 78 by my final marks, do I no longer get the reservation?
Avneet,
The way residence acceptances work is that if you have a 78% average or above you are accepted into residence. 80% of our TOTAL residence spaces are reserved for first years. If your marks drop considerably your acceptance may be reassessed. But that depends on how much it drops. If you want confirmation of this I suggest visiting the Housing and Conference contact website (here) or calling them and asking them. Their brains are the best to pick for this kind of knowledge. And don't be afraid to call different departments of the university for questions, those people are there for a reason!

Hope you get your answers!

Old 06-02-2008 at 04:24 PM   #14
Biee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slania View Post
If I don't get a residence offer or something by May 28...is it possible that I'll get an offer later? For example if there is a room available after May 28, or if I get a 78 average for my final mark?
im sure youll get in if you meet their requirements....i heard that some ppl get offers during summer dont worry ull get in !
Old 06-09-2008 at 12:21 PM   #15
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Residence guarantee is not based on final marks. The reason being that final grades are not available by the May 28th residence application and deposit deadline. The only way your residence space will be revoked after May 28th (provided of course you submitted your application and $600 deposit by the deadline) is if your offer of admission the university is rescinded because you failed to meet the conditions as stated on your offer letter.