MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conditional Offer Cleared... Now??? cory_1991 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-15-2010 11:33 AM
Meeting the conditional offer - help!! california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 07-02-2010 04:47 PM
Conditional offer question Sam321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-01-2010 07:31 AM
Conditional Offer Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-10-2009 06:51 AM
Conditional offer question Boolean Academics 6 05-21-2009 03:16 PM

Conditional Offers

Old 06-19-2008 at 04:04 PM   #46
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by baha111 View Post
but what about a person who is very close to the cutoff lets say 77 percent (if the cutoff is said to 78%)what should be done with him , should the university reject him or just decline him the residence

It means they didn't meet the requirements. For academics if you fail to meet them that's it. They are set in place for reasons as others in the thread have suggested.

When you apply for second year programs, you have to get a certain average. If you don't then you're not accepted. 5.9 is not the same as a 6.0, and nor should it be treated the same.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-06-2008 at 08:25 PM   #47
jlee0590

Liked: 0 Times

My situation is a little different because I am getting in based on my IB scores.. but I recently got them in.. and I didn't make the conditional mark but I DID get my Diploma. I already have my residence and roommate .. and courses picked out and I am about to send in my tuition payment. Is there still the possibility of Mac revoking my admission? Is there an option to be put on probation for the first year or something.. T_T Cuz I really have no where else to go.

I could try contacting the other Universities I got accepted into like UofT and Western, but I declined their offers for Mac.

Blah..
Old 07-06-2008 at 08:31 PM   #48
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Jlee0590 call the registrar's office tomorrow morning!!!

We can't say yes or no, only admin can do that and I would ask about this as soon as possible!!

Old 07-06-2008 at 09:43 PM   #49
mmal

This is kind of going offtopic but what mark should one maintain during the first year to be accepted into mechanical engineering. I have searched the mac site for this quite a bit but i couldnt find anything.

Also does Mac use gpa?
Old 07-06-2008 at 10:29 PM   #50
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb View Post
This is kind of going offtopic but what mark should one maintain during the first year to be accepted into mechanical engineering. I have searched the mac site for this quite a bit but i couldnt find anything.

Also does Mac use gpa?
Hey haseeb,

In terms of second year admissions and whatnot, the undergraduate calendar is an excellent resource: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...01.htm#ID19273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level II Engineering Admissions
Admission to Level II Engineering programs requires completion of all non-elective Engineering I courses with a minimum Cumulative Average (CA) of 4.0. All programs have limited enrolment; should there be more applicants than the limiting number in any program, admission to that program will be based on a points system, computed as the product of the Sessional Average (SA) and the number of units taken in the session (a minimum of 31 units will be used in the calculation). Students who do not meet the requirements to proceed to Level II in May will have a Pending flag put on their allocation. The Pending flag will be removed in August if the student completes the requirements over the summer.
In addition, admission to a B.Eng.Mgt. program requires the completion of ECON 1B03 with a minimum grade of 5.0; an interview may also be required.
Mechanical engineering is a limited enrolment program, so I'm guessing the cutoff will be higher than 4.0

McMaster uses a 12 point grading system, but a GPA conversion chart is available here

mmal says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.
Old 07-07-2008 at 09:25 AM   #51
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Also, if you really want to get to university you can always stay back a year in high school. I know a ton of people who did that and they're happier with their choice. If at first you don't succeed dust yourself off and try again
I totally agree. I did a fifth year in high school, and I did better that year than I did in my entire life. Going from a 60 average to 85 is pretty nice. Not only that, I matured a lot and grew up over that year, gaining confidence because I was able to accomplish what I did and not regret the past anymore.
Old 07-07-2008 at 09:55 AM   #52
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Ditto, I did a 5th year as well. I taught as a TA in two high school classes to make sure teaching was something I wanted to do. The only problem I had when I entered university was that the people I met in first year were still underage when I wasn't. That wasn't a very large problem though as I don't often go out to the bars.

Old 07-07-2008 at 01:39 PM   #53
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Ditto, I did a 5th year as well. I taught as a TA in two high school classes to make sure teaching was something I wanted to do. The only problem I had when I entered university was that the people I met in first year were still underage when I wasn't. That wasn't a very large problem though as I don't often go out to the bars.
Haha, yeah well, I hope the underagers aren't looking to me for booze. No way.
Old 05-25-2009 at 11:52 PM   #54
lewisj

Gce
I am an international student following the British GCE curriculum. My offer states as follows:

This offer is conditional upon your meeting the following requirements and submission of
the documents to the Office of the Registrar,

Completion of GCE Advanced Subsidiary courses in progress with grades as predicted. You must submit official final GCE AS Level Certificates. You must complete the four GCE Subsidiary courses.

I am working hard to get the grades as predicted but what will happen to the above offer if I do not get what was predicted? Will Mac reject or cancel the above offer?

Last edited by lewisj : 05-26-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-26-2009 at 12:24 AM   #55
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Unfortunately, the offer will probably be withdrawn if the conditions stated are not met. However, in some cases, you may still be able to keep the offer depending on how close your grades are to the requirement and if there are still any available seats in the program. I'm not too sure though...

Last edited by nino : 05-26-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:20 PM   #56
dmswn

My condition for staying in the life sciences program is 82%, but I slacked off and I dropped to an 81.5%
Is the competition too tough for me to stay in? Are they going to be picky about .5%?
Old 06-24-2009 at 08:32 PM   #57
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisj View Post
I am an international student following the British GCE curriculum. My offer states as follows:

This offer is conditional upon your meeting the following requirements and submission of
the documents to the Office of the Registrar,

Completion of GCE Advanced Subsidiary courses in progress with grades as predicted. You must submit official final GCE AS Level Certificates. You must complete the four GCE Subsidiary courses.

I am working hard to get the grades as predicted but what will happen to the above offer if I do not get what was predicted? Will Mac reject or cancel the above offer?
Hey there, I was actually from the GCSE Alevel system as well so I might probably know a bit or two about this. The thing is Canadian Universities(Since that's one of the only places other then American Universities if you happen to be a citizen; that people apply with just the AS level and not the two year Alevel)

AS Offers are much more stricter then Alevel offers simply because you are entering equivalent to any highschool student and therefore on paper you shouldn't get preference. Alevels on the other hand is different because its a more advanced degree and you also get 12-18 units of Credit for it!

On the Other Hand I assume your offer would be BBBB, I have heard that even British Universities have been known to accept people with Alevel results if they get BBBC or ABBC or AABC or AACC
But then again hardly any people apply after AS so I'm pretty sure its much more stricter!
If you get around BBBC I'm sure there is a small chance they will take you, after all you pay thrice the tuition as well as bringing your international experiences to the environment; but don't count on that!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:28 PM   #58
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmswn View Post
My condition for staying in the life sciences program is 82%, but I slacked off and I dropped to an 81.5%
Is the competition too tough for me to stay in? Are they going to be picky about .5%?
Is your final average rounded to no decimals, one decimal, or two by your school/school board?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:32 PM   #59
dmswn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Is your final average rounded to no decimals, one decimal, or two by your school/school board?
it is rounded to 1 decimal =/
Old 06-25-2009 at 01:56 PM   #60
dmswn

well i found out that Mcmaster is going to be extremely firm with their admissions and even .1% below the cutoff is going to be withdrawn. They are overcrowded and they are cutting as many students as they can