MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conditional Offer Cleared... Now??? cory_1991 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-15-2010 11:33 AM
Meeting the conditional offer - help!! california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 07-02-2010 04:47 PM
Conditional offer question Sam321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-01-2010 07:31 AM
Conditional Offer Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-10-2009 06:51 AM
Conditional offer question Boolean Academics 6 05-21-2009 03:16 PM

Conditional Offers

Old 06-09-2008 at 12:24 PM   #16
pjohnson
Liaison Officer - Registrar's Office

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Unfortunately, all of McMaster's programs are now full and we are no longer making offers of admission for this September. You may wish to visit the OUAC referral service at: www.ouac.on.ca You can search for which universities are still accepting applications and making offers of admission for specific programs.
Old 06-14-2008 at 06:42 PM   #17
baha111

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee0590 View Post
So are you saying that there is NO chance of getting into Mac if failing to meet the conditions?

so even if your average drops to 77 percent after the finals (suppose) and the required admission average is 78 , will the university take back yor offer even after you have acepted it for just 1 percent ????
Old 06-14-2008 at 09:53 PM   #18
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Chances are no, but the best people to talk to would be the Registrar/Admissions. Mac has experienced an increase in students in the past couple of years so they've had to cap how many they will take. If your grades fail to meet that cut off they do have the right to refuse you. Again, talk to the Admissions Office about this PRONTO>

Old 06-14-2008 at 09:56 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Indeed. The target was 5000 accepted this year and it's closer to 5500.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-17-2008 at 10:15 AM   #20
katie_batt

Liked: 9 Times

Thats interesting, i didnt think that Mac was all that popular of a school. there are only three people going to mac in my graduating class this year! And I'm from Guelph, which is pretty close to Hamilton, so if you compare taht to the 7 people I know going to Ottawa, a huge group going to Laurier, Waterloo, Queens, Western, its not exactly "up there" with the others...Which is weird because Hamilton is a LOT close to Guelph than say London, Ottawa, Kingston... THere are even more people going to UBC and McGill than Mac!!

Last edited by katie_batt : 06-17-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2008 at 12:01 PM   #21
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

I was the only member of my graduating class who went to Mac - but I'm from calgary. Mac is a "medium" university (UBC is a HUGE university). It isn't top in the canada rankings, but not far from the top either. Mac has a good reputatation for teaching and research. Mac is a really good school for the more academic subjects - but they don't focus on things like fine arts or sports as much as some other schools - so if you were looking for that you might go somewhere else. Plus, it is my experience that half the students at mac seem to be from Missasauga (/the GTA). It could be that Mac is just a little too close for some students in guelph who are looking to get away ^_^.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 06-17-2008 at 07:11 PM   #22
baha111

this year i guess alot of people are focusing towards mac specially mississauga , 9 to 10 of my friends are just going to mac . what i dont understand is that macs 78 %percent minimum is discouraging people , personally some of my friends are planning to switch thier offers to other universities even after accepting mac because they are afraid they might not be able meet the 78 %average after final exams ,plus we recieved a email from mac saying that we cant even take summer school to cover up our lost percentage ...so if you dont have a 8 percent you are pretty much screwed???
Old 06-17-2008 at 07:29 PM   #23
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

it's not that simple actually.

the reason they keep that conditional average so high is because of the sheer number of applicants they get. mac has amongst the highest growth in applicants in the country, and program sizes aren't growing due to lack of space etc.

so HYPOTHETICALLY if you come in at a 77.8% average, and there is someone else who was not offered admission because they didn't have high enough marks at application time but at end of the year do in fact have a higher mark than the cutoff AND there are seats open, they are offered the seat.
Old 06-18-2008 at 05:38 AM   #24
baha111

but think about the person who worked hard andgot in a early admission and he gets rejected by the university now !!! just for not having a exact 78 percent
!!, even uft says keep ur marks up after the admission ..no special exact requirements ..... so even if u had a 85 when u got admitted , now if u have a 75 ur basically oiut the door ...try calling the other unis u got accepted into lol
Old 06-18-2008 at 06:31 AM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Although I see the concern...unfortunate ly this is the nature of university. If you fail to meet the requirements then you don't get accepted. They have requirements for a reason (and as Rohan/deadpool) mentioned, and if you haven't met them then, well, unfortunately you aren't cut for Mac.

Mean to say...but this is how the real world works.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-18-2008 at 09:13 AM   #26
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Lorend is right my friend. I'm sorry to say but a 78% in high school should not be hard to accomplish if you plan to go to university and do well.

Getting a University Degree has become very commonplace in our society, if you want to be able to compete you need top grades in your degree. If a 78% in high school is hard for you I suggest reevaluating your choices.

Old 06-18-2008 at 09:52 AM   #27
katie_batt

that not always true Kokosas, my brother graduated high school with a 70% average, was accepted into the University of Guelph when a position opened, and just last week he graduated with an honours degree in Political Science. He is now going on to take a journalism course next year at Conestoga College. i would say that he was very successful in University, and he would never have been allowed into Mac. he has no regrets in going to University and he is certainly glad that he nver "reevaluated" his choice.

I dont think that anyone should be discouraged from attending university because they cant get into Mac or they cant get a 78% average. Lots of people have troubles in highschool, my brother being a perfect example. But when he was put into an environment that was more positive, he was able to do much better in school, and he actually enjoyed school! If someone really wants to go to University, they should do whatever it takes to make sure they go, no matter what their marks are like!

Last edited by katie_batt : 06-18-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-18-2008 at 09:59 AM   #28
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

That's one case though. There are far more people who don't make the cut. I know people who were in the IB program in high school and failed out of university. It varies per person. Also, I know people who had 60% and got accepted into Ryerson. McMaster is far more prestigious than Ryerson. Competition to get into McMaster is stiff. Some of you may still have exams to write to get in, all I can say is get studying so you can keep your spot in residence and so we can see you all next year! =)
Old 06-18-2008 at 10:08 AM   #29
katie_batt

Yes, its one case, but I know that he certainly isnt the only case. And like you said, just because you did really well in high school doesnt mean that you will do well in university! its totally different. i just dont think that you guys should discourage people who dont have a 78% average from attending university. its worth anyone trying if they want to. You really can do anything you really put your mind to!

I'm actually starting to regret accepting my offer to Mac. I dont want to go to a snobby school that is "exclusive" and "prestigious." I want to go to a school where I can get a good education, and not leave with a huge ego thinking I'm the best person in the world for going there.....
Old 06-18-2008 at 10:12 AM   #30
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

McMaster doesn't reject people who don't have a 78% average. People with below 78% can't live in residence. There's a huge difference. You can easily live in a student house as most people do. McMaster isn't exclusive. However, we can only take so many students in because we don't have enough professors to teach-- we're understaffed. Unless you want to have ALL of your lectures with 1000 students so that we can accomodate all students I think having a grade cap is fair.

Last edited by ferreinm : 06-18-2008 at 10:47 AM.