MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My offers in jeopardy! Help?! MaryS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2010 12:04 AM
Alternate Offers amare First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-10-2010 04:54 PM
McMaster University Offers of Admission 2010 Thread Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 04-18-2010 09:28 AM
Conditional Offers yevenbother First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 83 07-15-2009 11:20 PM
McMaster Kinesiology offers of admission? Mac12 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-15-2009 06:19 PM

Offers of Admission

Old 05-06-2008 at 07:57 PM   #136
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_sock View Post
My average was greater than 90 and less that 100..hehehe, no actually I'm not
sure exactly b/c I also asked for my IB grades to be reviewed. I'll get my package
within the next week or two... I can't wait till next year! Hopefully I'll have some friends join me as well, but I hope to make some great new friends too! Maybe I'll see you next year! (lol, not that I'll be able to tell)
simple..everyone on the forum get a name tag with your forum name..lol then we meet!
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:03 PM   #137
soroush122

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
simple..everyone on the forum get a name tag with your forum name..lol then we meet!

good idea , lol
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:10 PM   #138
missing_sock

hehehe...you guys have relatively normal names, can you imagine someone walking around with a name tag that says missing sock?
Old 05-06-2008 at 08:13 PM   #139
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42__svubc07 View Post
hey everyone, i'm new to this forum.

i see a lot of people got accepted to hthsci already, and i'm just wondering now.. how do they do the offers of admission? like how many rounds do they do, and what is the basis upon which they send out their offers? is it by marks/supplementary score? alphabetical order?

i'm getting really anxious. :(
the first round of admissions has just gone out. so depending on where you live, and your mail carrier, it could still take a couple of days for all of those letters to get to the right people. and the ouac website typically has your results up before you'd get your letter in the mail, so I'd suggest checking that.

from what i understand, it is grades-based. so those with the highest grades are accepted first, and you go downwards from their until the number of spots available are filled up. the second round goes out after those from the first round make their decisions on if they wish to come to mac or not. further rounds would work on the same principle.

lets say there are 100 total spots. 88 people from the first round accept, then the next twelve people are sent an acceptance letter. four of them accept, so the next eight people are sent their acceptance letter etc.

there could be components based on a supplementary part of your application if there was one (I'm not in health sci, so I don't know), but I'm not sure on exactly how much their decision would be based on that either.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-06-2008 at 08:25 PM   #140
42__svubc07

oooh alright, thanks.
Old 05-06-2008 at 10:28 PM   #141
xtina18

is it possible that mac (for health sci) did not send emails to everyone who is accepted?? maybe they are just sending letters for some applicants??
Old 05-06-2008 at 10:30 PM   #142
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Sometimes you don't get the acceptance in the mail and only get an email. I never got an email, and just got the acceptance in the mail.

The OUAC website lists your acceptance status for every school...so keep checking that

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-06-2008 at 10:32 PM   #143
xtina18

ahh i see...do you think that maybe some of us who haven't gotten an email for bhsc are possibly accepted and just don't know it yet? lol. as far as i know bhsc tends to send emails..
Old 05-06-2008 at 10:37 PM   #144
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I suppose so?

I don't really know how BhSc works cuz I'm not in that faculty, unfortunately...

Old 05-07-2008 at 12:35 AM   #145
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
there could be components based on a supplementary part of your application if there was one (I'm not in health sci, so I don't know), but I'm not sure on exactly how much their decision would be based on that either.
Congrats on getting into the BHSc program! After applicants have reached the 90% mark threshold, their supplementary applications are read by at least three people (consisting of 4th year students and faculty), marked out of 7 each time, and averaged out. Those with an average supplementary application score of 7 are sent offers first regardless of marks. People with similar supplementary application averages (ie. two people with scores of 6.8) have their grade averages looked at and those with higher grades are offered the spots first.

The program really tries to cap enrolment at 160 1st year students so they send about 220 offers expecting 60 to decline. However, if any more than 60 decline, they'll fill the rest of the seats on a rolling basis.
Old 05-07-2008 at 05:20 AM   #146
kenvin100
Elite Member

hmm I think they would send an email to everyone..say if kids were accepted a week before the deadline but got the package the day before the deadline..I mean I got accepted last Tues but got my package yesterday..

Last edited by kenvin100 : 05-07-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2008
Chad
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-07-2008 at 08:11 AM   #147
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soroush122 View Post
Thanks guys...., do u have any idea about Mac's may 10th tour?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours/may2008/index.html

@Alvand, there's plenty of other opportunities to come to campus and see what it has to offer. May @ Mac is mainly to students still trying to decide which school to go to. If you know you're coming to Mac, then the orientation days, welcome day, and welcome week will most likely be more beneficial to you.
Old 05-07-2008 at 08:16 AM   #148
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_sock View Post
Hopefully I'll have some friends join me as well, but I hope to make some great new friends too! Maybe I'll see you next year! (lol, not that I'll be able to tell)
You'll make lots of new friends at McMaster. I came not knowing a lot of people in my faculty (Humanities) as most of my friends were in sciences/engineering. You'll meet many new people in your tutorials, and I highly suggest getting involved with MSU Student Clubs (like MacInsiders!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42__svubc07 View Post
hey everyone, i'm new to this forum.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
Great ideas Kenvin. MacInsiders will be having a big general meeting sometime in September for all of you to come out, get involved, and meet fellow MacInsiders users! The forum nametag idea is great, we'll try it out
Old 05-07-2008 at 02:49 PM   #149
kenvin100
Elite Member

rofl I was joking lol

but ya okay xD