MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
Can you exceed your elective limit? Hannah-Marie Academics 3 06-14-2010 10:45 PM
48 units limit in Level 1 sinthusized Academics 8 05-21-2009 11:10 AM
Internet bandwidth limit kenneth526 Residence & Housing 34 03-08-2009 10:53 PM
Failed Course Limit johnaa Academics 5 01-01-2009 09:58 PM

One Bag Limit

Old 03-26-2010 at 01:58 AM   #15
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times
I'm not sure about you guys, but I live on Stroud and we've had the 1 bag rule the whole year this year. House with 5 guys, we've even had weekend where the bag was barely half full.

if you don't have one bag, they leave a giant pink/orange sticker 1 BAG ONLY.

Old 03-26-2010 at 07:27 AM   #16
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
So if you register as units, you can have up to 5 bags
We spend enough time fighting bureaucratic b/s at McMaster. We don't have time to fill out what I can only imagine is 40 forms in triplicate, just to get permission to have the appropriate forms mailed to us from the city.

Old 03-26-2010 at 07:30 AM   #17
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
I'm not sure about you guys, but I live on Stroud and we've had the 1 bag rule the whole year this year. House with 5 guys, we've even had weekend where the bag was barely half full.

Yeah I think it works in a house of 6 people. That's the same case with me. We never have trouble keeping it to one bag, but we usually have it filled to its maximum =/...However, it must be tough for those living in larger numbers together!

Another tip: try to use reusable items and not disposables all the time??

Old 03-26-2010 at 08:20 AM   #18
sniderj
Elite Member

Many municipalities have a system where you get 52 special tags each year, and every bag of garbage you put out must be tagged. This of course works out to one bag per week, except that in those systems you can usually buy additional tags for $1-$2 each. I much prefer this system, as it is a pay-per-use type of thing. Those people who do not want to buy extra tags can put the extra effort into recycling, and those who generate a lot of garbage (large families, student houses, etc.) can still dispose of it at relatively low cost.

Joey, Maegs, Marlowe like this.

Old 03-26-2010 at 09:13 AM   #19
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
We spend enough time fighting bureaucratic b/s at McMaster. We don't have time to fill out what I can only imagine is 40 forms in triplicate, just to get permission to have the appropriate forms mailed to us from the city.
made me think of vogons xD

Old 03-26-2010 at 11:00 AM   #20
sniderj
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
made me think of vogons xD
Excellent reference! That one didn't even occur to me.

I was thinking of the episode of Futurama where Hermes has to visit the central bureaucracy.

Old 03-26-2010 at 12:11 PM   #21
Joey

Liked: 17 Times
This is just one more reason to live in an apartment building.

Old 03-26-2010 at 12:20 PM   #22
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times
The city has approached this in a very haphazard way, but there is a root message here...

Consume less.

Nearly all food products and a number of other household waste items will go in the green bin, much of your packaging will go in the recycle and backyard composters can work wonders on reducing a household's waste.

As university students, we should be capable of the forethought required before simply throwing something in the garbage.

Old 03-26-2010 at 12:22 PM   #23
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post

I live on Dellbrook, (its right at the end of Stroud), and that's what we've been doing all year as well. Did you actually try with a clear bag, or has it been a strict one bag thing since the beginning?

Was your house one of the ones with an epic snow fort this winter? :p

Old 03-26-2010 at 01:06 PM   #24
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Are there any exceptions for people with animals? I have a lot of animals (small ones like rabbits, not big ones like dogs), and cleaning their cages every week takes up A LOT of garbage space.

We have been doing one bag for a while, but every now and then we do need to put out 2.

Old 03-26-2010 at 01:39 PM   #25
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times
if your animals are small they shudnt take up too much space in the garbage, you can also compost them too

Old 03-26-2010 at 02:02 PM   #26
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Q: What am I supposed to do with kitty litter and / or pet waste?
A: Kitty litter and / or pet waste should be double-bagged and placed in the garbage.
So that sucks.

Also, I called the city, and I have some more information:
- in order to declare several units, you may be able to declare your house as a 2-unit house. It seems close to McMaster, you have to have these two criteria to do this:
- you need at least a 270m lot for the house
- you need at least 65 m^2 for each unit.
The legislation is here:http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/6598D009-709D-424F-B5AE-9E73A8800E3E/0/HAMSECTION19.pdf

So tell your landlord, you may be able to do this.

Another suggestion from them is to get your landlord to take care of your garbage since you pay the rent and there's more than the number of "predicted" people in the house.

Or, you could try to get a new special consideration for "university housing" by contacting some politicians.

Old 03-26-2010 at 06:00 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
if your animals are small they shudnt take up too much space in the garbage, you can also compost them too
We have quite a few small pets and their waste takes up a lot of garbage space. I thought it would be compostable too, but it's not.

Old 03-27-2010 at 12:57 AM   #28
Joey

Liked: 17 Times
Actually getting your landlord to deal with it is kind of a good idea. Might be hard if you have already signed a lease but they should help you find a solution since having 6/8/10 people with one bag of garbage really is not a solution. Just hope you don't have a sucky landlord.

Old 03-27-2010 at 02:29 AM   #29
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times
damn this will be confusing for next year

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search