MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Co-op vs Summer Courses johnnyd710 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-14-2013 01:08 PM
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM

Only take 9 course, will summer course help?

Old 02-19-2015 at 07:55 PM   #1
FOrgottenNAME

Liked: 0 Times

Only take 9 course, will summer course help?
I have a pretty bad course in this term which I am considering to cancel it. However, if I do so, I will only have 9 courses in the first year, will it affect me going to second year?
And I am going to take summer courses for sure, will it help?
Old 02-20-2015 at 08:25 PM   #2
aliddaw

Liked: 0 Times

If the course you're cancelling is part of the required courses for your faculty, then by cancelling you will have not completed the required number of units to advance to second year. You will be able to take second year courses that don't require this course as a pre-req but you will still be classified as a first year. If you take a course within your faculty in the summer to make up for this requirement then you should be fine.

However, if the course you're considering cancelling is an elective, this is not an issue. As long as its not a prerequisite for any second year courses you can take a reduced courseload without penalty - you'll just have to make up the 3 units somewhere else before you graduate so you graduate with the correct number of units. By taking a summer course you can make up for this, assuming you are taking a full course load next year.

Make sure you consider future options whenever you make these decisions - for example if you are planning on applying to med school there are some schools that require a full course load every semester, which can be classified as "x" number of courses per semester (can vary by school).

I failed an elective in my first year and was able to re-take it in second year without a problem, passed it, and took 11 courses one year to make up for the lost 3 units. No problem!
Old 02-20-2015 at 09:09 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

If you're taking the courses in the summer, it should be fine and you will be able to advance to second year. If it's required for admission to your program, you may be granted conditional admission. You should contact an academic advisor for questions like this.