MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Cell Phones lmasud Computers & Tech 12 01-26-2010 04:22 PM
Unlocked Phones goodnews.inc General Discussion 3 09-21-2009 01:39 PM
Mac Sidewalk Sale/Cell Phones Krazy Sailor General Discussion 70 09-01-2009 01:39 AM
Checking voicemail on residence phones Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-16-2008 07:08 PM
laptops and cell phones?? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 07:13 PM

Ontario Ban on Cell Phones

Old 10-24-2009 at 09:46 AM   #15
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times
exactly. if you look at this study it's very obvious that talking isn't the issue, it's the actual operation on the device. in heavy vehicles, texting increased the risk of a crash by 23.2 times as compared to non-distracted driving. talking on a cell phone only increased the risk by 1.3.

Quote:
“Headset” cell phone use is not substantially safer than “hand‐held” use because the primary risk is associated with both tasks is answering, dialing, and other tasks that require your eyes to be off the road. In contrast, “true hands‐free” phone use, such as voice activated systems, are less risky if they are designed well enough so the driver does not have to take their eyes off the road often or for long periods.

Old 10-24-2009 at 09:50 AM   #16
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:
I'm just sick of "let's get rid of one thing but not another feature that's almost identical to it because going THAT far will upset the public." If you're going to ban something, ban it ALL.

When people say cellphones are dangerous, they don't just mean the dialing aspect of it. Ban ALL cellphone usage in vehicles, INCLUDING BLUETOOTH.
ah yes but there is the foot in the door effect here, they may choose to increase the scope later, but they have to start small. and its government, if they ban everything they dont have as much public support. unpopular governments dont get re elected.

anyway I'm glad that this is comming into effect becasue anything that increases peoples' eyes on the road is better than nothing and texting while driving has got to be one of the dumbest activities I can think of for that.

Old 10-24-2009 at 11:54 AM   #17
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Ever wonder why using your hand to smoke isn't responsible for as many accidents as using your hand to hold a cell-phone?

Simple, it isn't the act of 'holding something' that causes the problem, it's the lack of attention. (Anyone here taken psychomotor behaviour?)

They've done numerous studies in driving simulators, some even at Mac I believe...with the following results:

1) "Holding" a cellphone (without talking) or other object while driving does not significantly increase the number of accidents. (Most drivers don't drive with both hands on the wheel anyway, even if they're just resting their other arm on the armrest/their leg)

2) Having a conversation, with a passenger while driving does not significantly increase the number of accidents. This is because the passenger can provide feedback ("LOOK OUT!") regarding the driving, and if say, a passenger walks in front of the car...the exact reason is unknown, but the feedback is the best guess.

3) Keeping in tune with this principle, they constructed a barrier between the driver and passenger, but put them in the same car (ie. they look at the same digital display in the driving simulator, but can't directly see or hear each other). They let the two speak over a cell-phone, and again, this did not increase the number of accidents. It's speculated that this also has to do with attention.

4) Naturally, speaking to someone not in the lab at all on a cell-phone, does increase the number of accidents...and using a handsfree device did not repair the problem. Again it's speculated to be due to the driver's attention vs. the other person's ability to give feedback on the road.

Take home point: Banning cell-phones (but not hands-free devices) will not have as profound an impact on careless driving as people think.

Old 10-24-2009 at 12:09 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Take home point: Banning cell-phones (but not hands-free devices) will not have as profound an impact on careless driving as people think.
Maybe not but banning texting while driving is at least a start.

I think the problem with banning cellphone use period in a car is emergency situations. People will argue that they need the phone in case of emergencies. Of course with this you can't really know if a person was/is using a cellphone to talk to someone in an emergency situation or not just by looking at them from on the road. Police could pull you over, you end the call and then how do they know who or what you were talking about?

It would be great if they could ban all distractions while driving but it seems impossible to say the least.

Old 10-24-2009 at 01:05 PM   #19
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
I know a far more common and dangerous activity: putting on makeup. Nobody seems to touch that...

Old 10-24-2009 at 01:10 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I know a far more common and dangerous activity: putting on makeup. Nobody seems to touch that...
Because if you implement a law that restricts what just women can do in a car, then that's discrimination. And that's bad.

-rolls eyes-

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-24-2009 at 01:47 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times
The real problem here is that they don't have a test to weed out stupid people and bar them from driving.

Anyone who does anything distracting and unnecessary in a car while driving is an idiot. They have no common sense and shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Instead of banning all this shit they obviously need to make the process of getting a license more strict. So many people are out there on the roads that clearly shouldn't be, it always makes me wonder how they got their license. Then I remember that all you have to do to get a G1 is answer 16 arbitrary questions right.

adrian likes this.

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:13 PM   #22
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Because if you implement a law that restricts what just women can do in a car, then that's discrimination. And that's bad.

-rolls eyes-
better that then dead but each to their own priorities
Edit: speaking from experience, my gf almost went through countless intersections when she was putting on makeup, I just managed to shout "look out" in time. She's just too stubborn to stop it.

Last edited by adrian : 10-24-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:18 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
better that then dead but each to their own priorities
Edit: speaking from experience, my gf almost went through countless intersections when she was putting on makeup, I just managed to shout "look out" in time. She's just too stubborn to stop it.
I never said I agreed with it, I'm just saying that's probably the reason why the law isn't implemented yet. ;P

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:19 PM   #24
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I never said I agreed with it, I'm just saying that's probably the reason why the law isn't implemented yet. ;P
mkay

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:29 PM   #25
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Maybe not but banning texting while driving is at least a start.
In some sense I agree...but I don't think they can metaphorically take the next step...and I don't believe it's such a big deal to do this.

(Note: I'm not a driver, so I'm not getting touchy or defensive here. :p I'm too lazy and sheltered (and have poor eyesight) to get even my G1)

What I would like to see is a ban on cell-phone use while driving entirely...it seems as though that's the first significant step in the right direction. Like you said, regarding emergency situations, people need their cell-phones...but nothing stops people from pulling over to make an emergency phone-call. (Heck, doesn't that even make more sense?) In a situation where stopping really isn't possible (like say you're on the highway, or are driving to the hospital because your wife is in labour) then you should be treated on a case by case basis should you be pulled over for cell-phone use. (In all honesty, if someone's wife is in labour and they got into a car accident I wouldn't really blame them...they'd probably be ridiculously stressed out even without using the cell-phone)

What it ultimately comes down to is:

1) Convenience - ie. is anyone really going to stop using their TV remote out of the goodness of their hearts? No...the same goes for cell-phones.
2) Invincibility - It's human nature, for whatever stupid reason, to feel as though you're an exception to the rules. ie. "I'll never become a statistic."

1 & 2 together means people won't ever really change.

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-24-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:32 PM   #26
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:

My dad saw a women KNITTING while driving once.

I find that more perturbing than putting on makeup!

Hopefully she got that sweater done in time...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz likes this.

Old 10-24-2009 at 02:34 PM   #27
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

LMAO.

**** I HATE PEOPLE.

._. godfriggindamn.

adrian likes this.

Old 10-24-2009 at 03:28 PM   #28
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post

Well I've seen someone eating a salad with a fork while driving....I don't know if that's worse than knitting or putting on make up. :O

Old 10-25-2009 at 01:07 PM   #29
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times
5% tint so you cant see up in my window

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search