MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best universities in Canada Alexmahone General Discussion 34 08-16-2012 10:21 PM
Commuting from Mac to other Universities mrhynold First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-30-2011 03:12 PM
Universities Too Asian? Lois General Discussion 71 11-14-2010 08:55 PM
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM
Help Mac Beat All The Other Universities!!! brownchick MacInsiders Announcements 47 03-16-2010 04:12 PM

Ontario considers sweeping change to colleges and universities

Old 09-03-2012 at 02:43 AM   #1
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Ontario considers sweeping change to colleges and universities
The young McMaster psychologist with 3,500 students in his first-year course has used the web to breathe life into heavy introductory lectures. He replaced two of his three weekly classes on the basics with breezy, interactive online lessons, then holds the third “live lecture” to tackle a problem together.
“Joe Kim is brilliant,” Murray said. “He realized the way we were teaching the bulk of the content — the ‘sage on the stage’ — didn’t have anything to do with how students really learn, which is through discussion, engagement and participation.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/educ...d-universities

Some university courses work "better" online, therefore we need an online university?
Old 09-03-2012 at 03:13 AM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I wish he also realized that some people prefer readable lectures instead of his droning voice.

*spark*, moondancer, Zebedee like this.
Old 09-03-2012 at 08:37 AM   #3
Rincewind

Liked: 1 Time

A "boutique approach to higher learning"? I've read Glen Murray's "discussion paper", and it seems to me that the changes will only lead to more institutional bureaucracy for students to have to navigate through. There are some good ideas in there, though.
Old 09-03-2012 at 10:28 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I REALLY don't see "freeing up face-to-face time" to be used for "creative class discussion"... In terms of how the military industrial model of learning has been going, I just see this as an excuse to cut classroom costs by whisking students away to the online world. I'm all for turning traditional learning styles on their heads, but I really can't this all heading in a wholly positive direction, what with the profit model most universities still obsessively run under.

Murray seems like a really modern dude though, and universities can really benefit from taking the (apparent) successes like Kim's intro psych course. I don't really agree that courses should at all be taught like psych 1x03, but that's another topic entirely.
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:03 AM   #5
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I can see lectures getting a makeover, since whether they are online or not they still present the same thing (and most people are on their computers anyways) but as long as they leave tutorials and labs the way they are now than I see little downside to it
Old 09-03-2012 at 11:15 AM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I hate joe kim.. so much.

Online lectures = crap!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Differential, keiser=), starfish, Swampis all say thanks to L'Étoile for this post.

Old 09-03-2012 at 01:53 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post

Online lectures = crap!
The idea is that school should be an immersive environment to discuss the details about what is learened, but all ideas like this are doing is shfiting the burden on students studying up and being ready and competent in the material beforehand (before lectures)....... which is the reason why people get the marks they do.

Its pretty much: "Okay guys, you can have your lectures whenever you want (online), be sure to do them!" Which is exactly what we have now (textbooks, posted notes, vast access to online lectures from other schools), only students don't want to learn anyways.

Old 09-03-2012 at 01:54 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I hate joe kim.. so much.

Online lectures = crap!
My favourite part of the article is where it says how he makes it easy to "breeze" through lectures. Those lectures were the most dense, time consuming things ever, and a prof would not dared have gone through that much material per lecture if they could physically SEE the students falling asleep. Each lecture took about two hours to get through...way longer than would have been possible in a classroom. Even my TA thought it was ridiculous. Online courses just lead to profs who are really out of touch with the students.

Old 09-03-2012 at 04:42 PM   #9
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Something similar was on 60 minutes not long ago. The kids learn the material at home (via videos) and come to class and do drills. There's even a little notification for the teacher when a student to having trouble on the questions (God forbid we expect a teacher to recognize that!).

I don't see how that benefits anyone (except by slashing the budget). The students who are doing poorly either do not watch the videos and slack (some problems are due to lack of initiative/responsibility, and not a lack of understanding), or they have questions that cannot be answered until the next day (by which time they are likely forgotten, have given up, etc). The students who are doing well (like me in 1st year psych) are pissed they have to sit through another tedious video that takes 2-3x longer than a standard lecture would (having to pause and write down everything because you are expected to know it better, etc).

I'm all for responsibility and having kids take initiative, but this is silly.
Old 09-04-2012 at 07:28 PM   #10
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

I agree. If this model of learning keeps progressing we will be learning entirely at our computers. At that point, there will be nothing that I can't find on google than any other 'academic' resource.

Old 09-04-2012 at 07:47 PM   #11
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

gained a little weight there hasn't he? has the face of a sumo wrestler LOL.