MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
Transportation between universities kourtney. Automotive & Transportation 4 09-19-2010 08:47 PM
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 0 09-14-2010 10:36 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM

Universities Too Asian?

Old 11-11-2010 at 08:07 AM   #1
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Universities Too Asian?
http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/11/10/too-asian/

Discuss.

Old 11-11-2010 at 08:14 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I especially like the anonymous sources and unreferenced statistics

Afzal, hamnahx02, lorend, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 08:17 AM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I personally have no problem with America sending some of it's brightest over here because they're scared of not everything being predominantly white and christian. We need more doctors and scientists over here anyway.

however, I do feel really bad for these kids. It costs significantly more to go to school in another country so this may effectively limit a large group of Asians' ability to attend university. It just seems wrong..

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 11-11-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2010 at 08:51 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

"“We had a problem getting students out of their bedrooms,” says Nikki Best, a former residence don who sits on Waterloo’s student government, who explains they “didn’t want to get behind in their grades because of coming out to social events.”"

Unless the events are azn-related.
>_>

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-11-2010 at 08:56 AM   #5
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
"“We had a problem getting students out of their bedrooms,” says Nikki Best, a former residence don who sits on Waterloo’s student government, who explains they “didn’t want to get behind in their grades because of coming out to social events.”"

Unless the events are azn-related.
>_>
Well this is Waterloo that we're talking about. My brother goes there and he tells me they have next to nothing in the way of clubs, societies, or sports teams(especially now that their football team is dead). Waterloo makes little to no effort to actually try and get people to come out, so it doesn't surprise me that people don't. So Lawley, they don't even have 'azn-related' events. They don't even have a ping-pong team. I thought every University had a ping-pong team.. We're lucky that at MAC the powers at be try so hard to give us enjoyable events and things to do aside from our studying.
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:00 AM   #6
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Well this is Waterloo that we're talking about. My brother goes there and he tells me they have next to nothing in the way of clubs, societies, or sports teams(especially now that their football team is dead). Waterloo makes little to no effort to actually try and get people to come out, so it doesn't surprise me that people don't. So Lawley, they don't even have 'azn-related' events. They don't even have a ping-pong team. I thought every University had a ping-pong team.. We're lucky that at MAC the powers at be try so hard to give us enjoyable events and things to do aside from our studying.
The quote implies that student government tried to get people to come to come out and they didn't. I imagine some sort of first year, frosh type thing where people come banging on your doors.

And the article only focused on 3 universities. I'm sure the same things can be said across the board.

And why do people insist on calling me by my last name...

Old 11-11-2010 at 09:06 AM   #7
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
The quote implies that student government tried to get people to come to come out and they didn't. I imagine some sort of first year, frosh type thing where people come banging on your doors.

And the article only focused on 3 universities. I'm sure the same things can be said across the board.

Waterloo's welcome week is nothing like ours. It's mainly academic prep for waterloo's standard of mathematics with a few events that aren't pushed in any manner. To quote my brother "The university organizes NOTHING for us. Any events are organized by the faculties, and considering that I'm in engineering that means nothing but pub crawls. There aren't even a lot of those."

MAC is really social for a university, and I love it. Not everyone has that luxury.

Waterloo is a good university to look at for an article on asians though. Caucasians are a very small minority there.
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:25 AM   #8
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Quote:

Because of your username. And because it sounds like lol (lol).
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:28 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
Because of your username. And because it sounds like lol (lol).
So call me lawleypop.

sadface. :(

(and people only started saying it sounds like lol till I came to uni. Never heard that once in high school D

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:35 AM   #10
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
So call me lawleypop.

sadface. :(

(and people only started saying it sounds like lol till I came to uni. Never heard that once in high school D
It didn't even occur to me that Lawley was your last name. I had made the same assumption that it was just a misspelling of lol to fit nicely into lollipop. It's just shorter to use Lawley than Lawleypop. Frankly I'm still surprised people bother to write out Replekia when referring to me. Whenever i've used this username before I became 'Rep' in no time flat, which sadly is properly pronounced as "rape" *sadface*

I'll just have to come up with a new nickname for you then..

lawleypop likes this.
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:36 AM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
It didn't even occur to me that Lawley was your last name. I had made the same assumption that it was just a misspelling of lol to fit nicely into lollipop. It's just shorter to use Lawley than Lawleypop. Frankly I'm still surprised people bother to write out Replekia when referring to me. Whenever i've used this username before I became 'Rep' in no time flat, which sadly is properly pronounced s "rape" *sadface*

I'll just have to come up with a new nickname for you then..
LOLOLOL.

You clearly don't creep enough. xD

Old 11-11-2010 at 09:37 AM   #12
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
LOLOLOL.

You clearly don't creep enough. xD
I'll have to try harder =/
Old 11-11-2010 at 10:01 AM   #13
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

New nickname: lulzypop
Old 11-11-2010 at 10:11 AM   #14
Iamanonymous

Liked: 20 Times

The Alexandra girl in the article seems to suggest indirectly that white people go to western, queens, and mcgill because they don't like mingling with other races. Oh well queens is kinda known for being racist.
Old 11-11-2010 at 10:48 AM   #15
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

As an Asian who is pretty much bleached (beyond white washed), it sucks being in some kind of weird middle ground where you don't know which group to identify with. Coming from a small town, where the population was predominately Caucasian, I expected schools where there were large multicultural populations to be a lot more open; this isn't the case, at least when I was at Waterloo.