MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
Transportation between universities kourtney. Automotive & Transportation 4 09-19-2010 08:47 PM
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 0 09-14-2010 10:36 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Courses at other universities eullwm Academics 3 06-09-2010 12:29 PM

Universities Too Asian?

Old 11-12-2010 at 04:01 AM   #46
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
so you don't like hanging-out with your own kind eh
There is rational reason behind it, it isn't like I don't want to or anything (actually "many" was the keyword there). Many of them wouldn't like my religious views.
Old 11-12-2010 at 04:04 AM   #47
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Thing is: If I wanted to stay close to only "my people", I'd stay in Pakistan.

JEFF_CHAN, lawleypop like this.
Old 11-12-2010 at 06:05 AM   #48
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Thing is: If I wanted to stay close to only "my people", I'd stay in Pakistan.
That's what it comes down to, for me. Plain and simple.

I love me some cheese and poutine and maple syrup, but if I only wanted to hang out with Quebeckers and speak french all the damn time and not even make an effort to talk to non-Quebeckers, I'd go back to Quebec.

If that's somehow racist that I apply my own philosophies to other people, then so be it.

(Side note: Idk why I say "go back" to quebec, I've never lived there)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-12-2010 at 06:19 AM   #49
Phil

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
It didn't even occur to me that Lawley was your last name. I had made the same assumption that it was just a misspelling of lol to fit nicely into lollipop. It's just shorter to use Lawley than Lawleypop. Frankly I'm still surprised people bother to write out Replekia when referring to me. Whenever i've used this username before I became 'Rep' in no time flat, which sadly is properly pronounced as "rape" *sadface*

I'll just have to come up with a new nickname for you then..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
LOLOLOL.

You clearly don't creep enough. xD
I thought the same thing actually, until I did creep harder.
Old 11-12-2010 at 06:22 AM   #50
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I thought the same thing actually, until I did creep harder.
-cries-

and here I thought my username was amazing. :(

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-12-2010 at 09:37 AM   #51
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

the cute white girls look better than the cute asians/brown etc.
go spend some time at another university and not in the student center during club advertising or mills second floor and you'll be shocked, and realize the real problem.
Old 11-12-2010
Freija
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-12-2010
Rakim
Old 11-12-2010 at 10:47 AM   #52
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
This.

Not that I mind hanging out with Chinese people, but I'm from an area that's basically >50% Chinese anyways and I figured I should at least *try* meeting new people while I'm at university...
Hows that working out for ya? Lots of chinese people at Mac.
Old 11-12-2010 at 11:04 AM   #53
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Hows that working out for ya? Lots of chinese people at Mac.
Not as well as I hoped. In terms of meeting new people I find it easier to start conversations with Chinese people. =/

Still, most of the people I consider my close friends at Mac aren't Chinese.
Old 11-12-2010 at 11:14 AM   #54
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
-cries-

and here I thought my username was amazing. :(
May be you should put your real name as Cheri Lawley?

PS: deleted the next msg cause it was duplicate.
I hope it doesn't fuk up the thread flow lol

PS 2: Nvm figured out they let you only show first name now!

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 11-12-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2010
mcmastergcdb
Old 11-12-2010 at 03:07 PM   #55
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
Nice try, but no. Of course a university as old as Waterloo understands and values the role of clubs on campus... but when you are allocating funds for student events/etc the university must consider attendance. If no one has been showing up or giving a rats ass for a few years, they won't bother to set up the social events again. As for clubs, students create clubs, not the university! A lack of student clubs and organizations is a failure of the students to set them up and pitch them. Why? It's because they're too busy locked in their rooms studying math. Laurier next door also has a reputation for being more of a party school, so if you want to go to those kind of events you hang out with the kids from Laurier. It's been that way for decades.

' “We had a problem getting students out of their bedrooms,” says Nikki Best, a former residence don who sits on Waterloo’s student government, who explains they “didn’t want to get behind in their grades because of coming out to social events.” ' -Macleans

Also, just because an article discusses RACE does not make it RACIST. These issues are better off in the open than buried. If you can't handle a discussion about culture and ethnicity, you might want to stick to high school tolerance assemblies, lolipops, and rainbows...
i agree with zombiejesus.. the university is not to blame.. and also, REPLEKIA/ur getting ur info from ur bro which is just one person (and i guess the ppl he hangs out with) but it would be kinda unfair that u would rate the university (of waterloo) that way just b/c of one person's experience. I have friends who attend waterloo as well and there are some that are in many many clubs while others are not.. so its really based on each individual (i.e. what extra cirriculars they are part of) the the activities of those clubs (who organizes events)

on another point... i can't believe some universities limit acceptances from each culture/race... i wonder how many canadian universities actually do that...that's so unfair to students in certain ethnicities that work hard b/c they were brought up that way... like my mom would always tell me when i asked for a reward for my high grades (in elementary school) its my responsibility to get high grades cuz being a student in our full time job so i was brought up to study hard b/c achieving any less would sorta be like.. not finishing my chores i guess.. not that i abide that anymore but just as an example...

though this article seems to be racist.. they're really just pointing out stereotypes that everyone's somewhat aware of...and by saying that asians have high grades doesn't mean that ALL asians have high grades and ppl shouldn't pick on these details cuz obviously there are exceptions to all stereotypes

jenn_y likes this.
Old 11-12-2010 at 03:20 PM   #56
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggydoe View Post
i agree with zombiejesus.. the university is not to blame.. and also, REPLEKIA/ur getting ur info from ur bro which is just one person (and i guess the ppl he hangs out with) but it would be kinda unfair that u would rate the university (of waterloo) that way just b/c of one person's experience. I have friends who attend waterloo as well and there are some that are in many many clubs while others are not.. so its really based on each individual (i.e. what extra cirriculars they are part of) the the activities of those clubs (who organizes events)

on another point... i can't believe some universities limit acceptances from each culture/race... i wonder how many canadian universities actually do that...that's so unfair to students in certain ethnicities that work hard b/c they were brought up that way... like my mom would always tell me when i asked for a reward for my high grades (in elementary school) its my responsibility to get high grades cuz being a student in our full time job so i was brought up to study hard b/c achieving any less would sorta be like.. not finishing my chores i guess.. not that i abide that anymore but just as an example...

though this article seems to be racist.. they're really just pointing out stereotypes that everyone's somewhat aware of...and by saying that asians have high grades doesn't mean that ALL asians have high grades and ppl shouldn't pick on these details cuz obviously there are exceptions to all stereotypes
Not all asians, but I have yet too see an East asian (chinese) that didn't work their tail off and study hard and get good grades, they'd probably get disowned or subjected to chinese water torture or w.e.
Old 11-12-2010 at 03:34 PM   #57
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
Not all asians, but I have yet too see an East asian (chinese) that didn't work their tail off and study hard and get good grades, they'd probably get disowned or subjected to chinese water torture or w.e.

lol then i guess u just don;'t kno enough asians.. and i guess it mainly depends on their parents.. i kno asians that dont study their ass off cuz their parents aren't traditional like that but i also kno some who weren't allowed to go out (like to movies or hang out) even though they had 90% + averages in high school