MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
requirements for med school kwyhan Academics 3 09-14-2010 10:58 PM
medical school!! ishk33 Academics 13 07-30-2009 09:42 AM
Ontario Med School Requirements Lois Academics 48 07-11-2009 09:17 PM
course requirements for med school nadia1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-07-2009 02:35 PM
medical school req Avenger Academics 2 10-06-2008 09:10 AM

Ontario Medical School Requirements

Old 10-31-2008 at 12:06 AM   #16
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Psychology counts as a social science in some schools, each school has different descriptions. You have to make sure by calling them or checking if they list it in their program description.

Like you, I avoided English. I belive all of the US schools that take in Canadian students need it. If not that, then they need physics, which I didn't have as well. If you're talking about Ontario schools, none of them require english. Some other schools in Canada need it like UBC, but they take in so few out of province students that it didn't really matter to me. A lot of the big schools internationally don't require english. I applied to all the Ireland ones which are the most respected by Canada next to US. Australia ones as well are a good choice. I believe many Carribbean ones don't need it as well.

Tailsnake says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 10-31-2008 at 10:11 AM   #17
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Unfortunately a lot of post-graduate programs are refusing to send you information by mail...however they usually will direct you to the various pdf files they have posted online.
What kind of load of crap is that! I can understand not wanting to send pamphlets to every Joe, Jane and Harry out there but if someone requests it? Pfft.

Old 11-01-2008 at 09:45 AM   #18
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Yup, it's lame I know.

A lot of the schools I've been inquiring at just direct me to their website. It's actually quite frustrating.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-29-2008 at 08:58 PM   #19
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

Hey, I have a quick question..
``If you have taken full course loads each year, UofT will get rid of your lowest full year course (or 2 term courses) for each academic year.`

So, what if I only have 4 courses first term, and 5 the next, I don`t get the UofT deal for that year do I? or is it that I dont get the deal overall?

And for the rest of the three years i have full course load, but only for this year (First) I didnt.. will that matter?
Old 11-29-2008 at 09:08 PM   #20
mitch
Elite Member

To the best of my knowledge, you won't get the deal at all even if you've only missed it for one year.

pinkshuniza says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 11-29-2008 at 09:13 PM   #21
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

so then you should take 6 courses in term 2? that would balance it out right?

btw, thank you for the quick reply
Old 11-29-2008 at 10:39 PM   #22
mitch
Elite Member

Yeah, as long as you have 5 full year credits (10 half year credits) in one acadmeic year you'll be ok. Summer credits don't count. And I read the FAQs on the UofT med website and you do have to have full course loads every year for it to be applied. Here's the pertaining info from their website:

5) What is the weighting formula?
The weighting formula is a method of GPA calculation eliminating some lower course marks. It is in place to encourage applicants to pursue rigourous and advanced coursework without penalty. It is applied only for applicants who have taken a full course load of five full-year courses (or the equivalent) each year in the regular academic session, and who have at least three completed years at the time of application.
The Admissions Office will recalculate the GPA, eliminating the applicable number of marks. Briefly, a student with three completed years may drop the three lowest full-year course marks, or six lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof. A student applying with four completed years may drop the four lowest full-year course marks, or eight lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof.
6) What if I take four courses in the regular session and one summer course?
The weighting formula would not be applied. It is only applied if a full course load was taken in the regular academic session in every year of study.

pinkshuniza says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 11-30-2008 at 03:45 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You should ask someone from UofT; their med school secretary should be able to answer that question.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-19-2009 at 01:38 PM   #24
jindal

Liked: 0 Times

what would be the cut off Gpa this year for McMaster?
Old 01-19-2009 at 01:40 PM   #25
mitch
Elite Member

The GPA cutoff to apply is a 3.0/4

There is no gpa cutoff to get an interview although having over a 3.7 really helps.

jindal says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 01-19-2009 at 02:48 PM   #26
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

As for Ottawa's 2 years of chem/biochem/orgo pre-req.
Does anyone know if we can mix them up, as in I have a full first year chem, take the first half of orgo and another half year course in biochem. Does that still satisfy the pre-req?
Old 01-20-2009 at 08:33 AM   #27
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm pretty sure you can. As long as it's 12 units of anything in that category. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-20-2009 at 04:22 PM   #28
samikas

Liked: 4 Times

I have been discovering that mac will always take into account ALL of your former university work, no matter how long ago it was. This is a tremendous disappointment considering that I am willing to go back to undergrad, but it would require about 8 years of 12's (A+) to get to the most often accepted GPA standard. This is so sad. With 12+ years of work, EC's and experience including national gymnastics, world championships for Sport Aerobics, 5 years of coaching, national springboard diver, marathon runner, mountain bike racer, private pilot, world child volunteer, entrepreneur, shade tree mechanic, speaker, rock climbing, kiteboarding, ahospice volunteer.... the list goes on... I thought I would make a good candidate, and yet, I won't even have a chance to study at Mac even if I succeeded with a PERFECT new undergrad degree. Shame, shame. How I would hate to go to western after wearing that shirt (My Canada Doesn't Include Western) in 1995 at Mac....
Old 07-20-2009 at 05:19 PM   #29
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindal View Post
what would be the cut off Gpa this year for McMaster?
Keep in mind that the pre-interview formula (what gets considered to see if you get an interview) this year will be 32% GPA, 32% MCAT Verbal Reasoning Score, 32% Autobiographical sketch and up to 4% extra if you have a graduate degree.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/selection_process.htm l
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:42 AM   #30
ishk33

Liked: 12 Times

hey,

Is there a way where med schools do not see ur first year marks or GPA???