MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
solar opening again? maryam17 Academics 101 07-12-2010 08:34 PM
Picking My Classes Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-01-2010 11:25 PM
Solar Opening demelo_b Academics 5 06-08-2010 02:40 PM
New Eng Building Opening Ceremonies temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 11 10-24-2009 04:56 PM

Opening dates for picking classes

Old 06-06-2009 at 07:56 PM   #1
monique

Liked: 1 Time

Opening dates for picking classes
I can't seem to find anywhere on the mcmaster site of when each year gets to start picking their courses.
I'm really anxious/excited to take some courses and so I want to make sure I'm on SOLAR when it opens so I can get into those classes.
Old 06-06-2009 at 08:13 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...%20FINAL. pdf

I've lost count how many times I and others have posted that link haha. Anyway, mark the date in your calender so you don't forget! ;]

aya017, monique all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 06-06-2009 at 08:25 PM   #3
monique

oh sorryy :S
How do you find it?
Because every year I can never seem to find the dates (or really any dates I'm ever looking for on the mac site).
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2009 at 11:09 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Haha, no problem.

mcmaster.ca --> Academics --> Undergraduate --> Registered Students --> Getting Registered --> 2009/2010 Fall/Winter Undergraduate SOLAR (Registration) Entry Schedule
Old 06-06-2009 at 11:50 PM   #5
jordanrogers

hey soo i think i posted this somewhere as well as email my faculty but i am not fully understanding of what to do.

this year i will be pursuing a double major in english and sociology - being social sicence first year i have been told my faculty will change. i asked the faculty whether i would pick courses with humanities students or social sicence students i got the response:
"I believe that Solar will open for you on the 23rd since you also applied for Honours Sociology which is a Social Science program. However I am not 100% sure so if it does not work on the 23rd then it will definitely open on the 24th. I apologize for the very vague response."

i know that humanities is the 23rd so i dont understand why sociology would be open compared to english - and i still dont really understand if i wait in the 23rd for picking coruses will i only be able to pick the courses from my english courses or will i also be able to pick sociology?

sorry if this is really confusing i am trying my best to understand it :(
Old 06-07-2009 at 02:06 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You are technically going to be a student in both Humanities and Soc Sci, as English is a Humanities discipline and Soc is a Soc Sci one. For whatever reason, if you are double majoring in a Soc Sci and a Humanities course, with only a couple of exceptions you are considered to be in the Faculty of Humanities. Why this is, I'm not really sure. I did a combined Anthro and CSCT degree and became a Humanities student myself.

The best idea for you I have at this time is to log on to SOLAR the earliest you can: since Humanities is picking courses on 23rd the see if you can log in then first, but if you aren't allowed to you'd obviously be choosing courses the next day. The worst thing that can happen is that you can't actually log in that day because you're supposed to be choosing on the next one.

I believe whomever you spoke to is kind of incorrect: only Social Work students are considered to be in Soc Sci regardless of the fact that their other program is in Humanities. I have no idea why one of your program selections for next year would make a difference to the date you would be able to choose courses. It just doesn't seem logical to me at all.

Do you remember last year when you went to choose your classes? You could pick courses from any faculty regardless of if you were in Soc Sci I or not. It is the same process every year: all of the courses are available to be selected regardless of your faculty.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 at 02:42 PM   #7
jordanrogers

okay thanks soo much that makes perfect sense. the email i received just completely confused me because of the inaccuracy
and i was also just confused about the process because last year social science was the last program to open so i assumed that all programs were opened beforehand. but that does make a lot of sense now.
thank you so much!
Old 06-08-2009 at 12:54 PM   #8
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, no problem.

mcmaster.ca --> Academics --> Undergraduate --> Registered Students --> Getting Registered --> 2009/2010 Fall/Winter Undergraduate SOLAR (Registration) Entry Schedule
Is it just me, or should something so important not be so ridiculously hard to find? I know it's pretty basic and logical, but they should put a link on the homepage.

I usually just search "Timetable" or "Undergraduate calendar" when I need those things. I'm in 4th year and I've never been able to figure out the Mac site!
Old 06-09-2009 at 09:54 AM   #9
monique

I agree, I find it impossible to find anything I'm looking for or instead I find the 2001 version of it instead.
I haven't figured it out yet. I think upcoming dates should be on the homepage.
Old 06-09-2009 at 10:04 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Very true, whenever I search for something on the mcmaster website, I always find the older versions... you would think that they could put an option to list the search results in chronological order of when they were written or something of the sort.