MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ipod touch vs. ipod video **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 11 06-08-2010 06:20 PM
Can anyone review an iPod Touch for me please? Kathy2 General Discussion 48 11-04-2009 01:56 PM
iPod Touch Ad Hoc Internet? Penguin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2008 07:24 PM
Ipod Touch myster General Discussion 3 06-22-2008 08:49 PM

Opera mini for iPhone/iPod Touch

Old 04-12-2010 at 11:45 PM   #1
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Opera mini for iPhone/iPod Touch
Wow.

So fast.

Try turning horizontal on a complex page--safari doesn't even come close to the smoothness.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/opera-mi...er/id363729560

ayinaim says thanks to aaront for this post.
Old 04-13-2010 at 04:21 AM   #2
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

nice app. but i find the scrolling and zooming in/out a bit stiff. maybe it's just me.
Old 04-13-2010 at 04:22 AM   #3
ayinaim

Liked: 6 Times

oh i get it now, there's only 2 levels of zooming. no wonder.
Old 04-13-2010 at 07:54 AM   #4
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Eh, kind of a let down. It sort of sucks.
Old 04-13-2010 at 09:36 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

1) I'm surprised they let the app through, but after the recent issues with blocking apps for really skethy reasons and the FCC inquiry, I guess they had no real choice

2) It blows safari out of the water speed-wise, gonna have to play around with it to see if it's as stable and robust as Safari, but I might just have found something to replace the default web app

Edit:
-Facebook is formatted differently but significantly faster than on Safari
-Opera Mini 5 seems to have problems opening the touch.facebook.com site
-iGoogle doesn't recognize the Opera browser as an iPhone app so the page is formated the way you'd get it on a BlackBerry or Windows Phone (i.e. Ugly and lackin features)
-MacInsiders loads much faster than in Safari, but only having 2 levels of zoom makes looking at any page not formatted for a mobile device a real pain
-2 Zoom levels is a real pain
-It lacks the controls for form entry (the little black bar above the keyboard that gives you the functions of Tab/Shift+Tab)
-Anything google related seems to suck on it
-Handles ELM better
-Can't do PDFs or Docs so far

Conclusion: Needs to mature before it'll be worth switching to

Last edited by Tailsnake : 04-13-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2010 at 11:39 AM   #6
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

agreed. feels fast, but zooming scrolling and general feel is just bad. also seems to mess with fonts and make everything look weird.