Opinions about Psych 1XX3 gcruz91 Academics 5 12-29-2009 07:43 PM
Opinions on the strike oakster15 General Discussion 88 11-05-2009 11:51 AM
About Level 1 French Courses wonie9024 Academics 2 07-05-2008 10:30 AM

Opinions on french courses

Old 06-23-2010 at 11:45 PM   #1
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

Opinions on french courses
Is there anyone who took french at Mac and thought it was worthwhile/useful? I heard it was a 6 credit course, does that mean that it's harder? French isn't my first language but I have taken interest in it, still I'm not sure if I should take the course.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:47 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
Is there anyone who took french at Mac and thought it was worthwhile/useful? I heard it was a 6 credit course, does that mean that it's harder? French isn't my first language but I have taken interest in it, still I'm not sure if I should take the course.
A 6 unit course just means its a full year (2 semesters), not just half, not that it's harder. Which French course were you looking at? First year has 3 I believe.
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:53 PM   #3
MTK3

Liked: 0 Times

I have up to grade 12 U high schol french but i'm not sure how well I would fit into the 1A06 french class since im guessing most of the students will have fluent french already. Are all 3 of the first year french courses all 6 units?
Old 06-23-2010 at 11:58 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK3 View Post
I have up to grade 12 U high schol french but i'm not sure how well I would fit into the 1A06 french class since im guessing most of the students will have fluent french already. Are all 3 of the first year french courses all 6 units?
I think if you have grade 12U, you can only take 1A06, but I could be wrong. "Fluency", I think you'll find, varies from person to person too, since grade 12U could have anyone from core, extended, immersion, or all French school. At least I think. I'm from the OAC days, so this 12U stuff is new to me.
Old 06-24-2010 at 12:40 AM   #5
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

When I took 1A06 there were people who were very fluent and others who were not so much fluent. As long as you have the background of french up to grade 12 you should be fine in the course. I've taken french courses all my life so it wasn't hard for me and from what I heard from others in the course they didn't find it bad either. I would say an easy good grade as long as you do the work and participate in class. I'm pretty sure there was a participation mark, but even if there isn't participating helps a lot with understanding what you're learning.

Old 06-24-2010 at 12:57 AM   #6
gabriela.05

Liked: 4 Times

I had also taken up to 12U french in highschool, but my mark in that class wasnt as high as i wanted it to be. I'm okay in french but definately not a superstar.

When looking at the 3 different courses they offered and hearing advice from students, the 1A06 class seemed very advanced-which means you are expected to be on the ball with everything. They also move a lot faster and most people can speak close to or are already fluent.

The 1K06 course (which is intended for students only upto 11U french- BUT i somehow managed to get away with taking?lol) i found it was like a repeat of 12U but more structured and moved at a more slower pace, which was nice. By taking this course, I was able to freshen up my skills- grammatical/oral/listening.

It may seem like a waste of time if you think that its similar to gr12 buttt i've compared the difference to the 1A06 course and in the end I found that id much rather enhance my skills in something i've already become familar with rather than pushing myself into somthing that would be too advanced from my current understanding and risk dropping my cumulative average.

Good Luck !!