MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 larizhou First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2012 09:45 PM
Opinions about Psych 1XX3 gcruz91 Academics 5 12-29-2009 07:43 PM
Psych 1xx3 1x03 lbqjenny Academics 12 08-13-2009 11:00 PM

Opinions of people who took PSYCH 1X03 and 1XX3

Old 06-18-2012 at 04:33 PM   #1
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Opinions of people who took PSYCH 1X03 and 1XX3
Is it hard to do well in them? Where they killers to your GPA?

I'm worried about psych because I've heard how hard the quizzes can be, and that it's a lot of reading, and you may not do as well as you hoped.

I'm not sure if I want to take them in first year for life science, even though that would limit my options to only programs like Honours Biology.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:39 PM   #2
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Personally, I found Psych 1XX3 to be easier and more interesting than Psych 1X03. In Psych 1XX3, they made the quizzes based on the live lectures (2 questions per quiz) and the rest (8 questions) based on the online lectures (no textbook material). However, for the first psych, the quizzes did test us on details in the textbooks and the online lecture (but they do overlap for the most part). If you do decide to take these courses, I recommend doing these quizzes with a group of ppl. Lastly, I would say they are NOT GPA killers, u can get 10+ in both courses. BTW, I didn't even bother reading the textbook for Psych 1xx3 and ended up doing pretty well, but u have to read the textbook for Psych 1x03.

naval23 says thanks to Swampis for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:50 PM   #3
achhin

Liked: 2 Times

Psych 1X03 was a *****. But if you try hard enough you can usually pick out some wrong wording/answers in the weekly quizzes and get bonus marks off those. Psych was definitely NOT a GPA killer if you don't slack. I would also recommend doing the quizzes with a small group of friends for PSYCH 1X03 but I ended up doing most of the PSYCH 1XX3 quizzes on my own. It's mostly biology-based for the second part of the course, so self-explanatory. Exams for both were fairly easy as well. Just watch the wording. That's where it gets tricky.

naval23 says thanks to achhin for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:52 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Is it hard to do well in them? Where they killers to your GPA?

I'm worried about psych because I've heard how hard the quizzes can be, and that it's a lot of reading, and you may not do as well as you hoped.

I'm not sure if I want to take them in first year for life science, even though that would limit my options to only programs like Honours Biology.
They're pretty easy--some of my easiest courses in first year.

I'm not sure what you mean by "programs like Honours Biology". There are plenty of programs that don't require psych--I believe just Life Sci and the psych programs require it.

naval23 says thanks to nerual for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:55 PM   #5
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

I found the pattern in these courses was very similar - hard online weekly quizzes, while the final exam was a joke. They were not hard to do well in, but do require more consistent work in the form of weekly tutorials and quizzes.

naval23 says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 04:59 PM   #6
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Not at all hard to do well in if you put in the work (ie. go to the weekly tutorials).

naval23 says thanks to inthemaking for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:13 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Weekly quizzes were tough for 1X03, but the averages were still good. Needed to do these with others. Psych courses are very popular and the content can be found interesting by lots of people. It would benefit you to take 1X03 and see if you wish to continue taking psych courses since I do find that many people enjoy psych. Many people did well in 1X03 and even if you don't take psych, your options are not limited. What gave you that idea?

naval23 says thanks to Silver for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 05:54 PM   #8
naval23

Well, the level 2 programs I'm interested in are Honours Life Science and Honours Biology, and Honours Life Science requires Psych I and II.

So they are not GPA killers? Because, I'm worried about the application questions, I've never taken psych before, and I don't want to fail them if I can't apply what I learned.

And what do you mean by do the quizzes together? I know they are online, but is it like, if me and my friend take the quiz on Tuesday, we get the exact same quiz?
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:06 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Well, the level 2 programs I'm interested in are Honours Life Science and Honours Biology, and Honours Life Science requires Psych I and II.

So they are not GPA killers? Because, I'm worried about the application questions, I've never taken psych before, and I don't want to fail them if I can't apply what I learned.

And what do you mean by do the quizzes together? I know they are online, but is it like, if me and my friend take the quiz on Tuesday, we get the exact same quiz?
Most people taking these courses haven't taken psych before, they're intro courses. Thousands of kids from all faculties take it and most of them do fine. They really are some of the easier courses in first year. Technically Life Sci I requires that you do at least one of the psychs anyways.

Also keep an open mind...you haven't experienced the subject matter that many of the programs really study, there might be others that interest you. Heck, you might end up loving psych and wanting to major in it.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:33 PM   #10
naval23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Most people taking these courses haven't taken psych before, they're intro courses. Thousands of kids from all faculties take it and most of them do fine. They really are some of the easier courses in first year. Technically Life Sci I requires that you do at least one of the psychs anyways.

Also keep an open mind...you haven't experienced the subject matter that many of the programs really study, there might be others that interest you. Heck, you might end up loving psych and wanting to major in it.
True, but would it be a big deal if I didn't take psych next year and instead chose electives that I liked in high school like Economics, Astronomy, etc? I think I would do better in them, and I am really interested by those electives.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:34 PM   #11
naval23

What made the psych 1x03 exam so much easier than the online quizzes?

And is it possible to do the exact same quiz with a partner online, if you go on at the same time? How else would you do it in groups? Is it that one person tries it and gives everyone else the answer?
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:37 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Just wanted to add that MacInsider does not condone Academic Dishonesty and unless your professor says it is alright to work in groups, all students must work individually as per McMaster's Academic Integrity Policy:

Quote:
Collaborative learning is a valuable method of instruction that is utilized by many instructors at
McMaster University. Students will often be encouraged to discuss ideas and concepts with one
another to facilitate the learning process. A distinction must be drawn, however, between
collaborative learning and collaboration on assignments. Assignments, projects, reports, etc. are
required to be completed by an individual unless the instructor indicates some kind of collaboration
is permissible.
http://www.mcmaster.ca/policy/Studen...cIntegrity.pdf
Old 06-18-2012 at 06:47 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
True, but would it be a big deal if I didn't take psych next year and instead chose electives that I liked in high school like Economics, Astronomy, etc? I think I would do better in them, and I am really interested by those electives.

Thanks!
See my post in your other thread.

At the end of the day, there is never room to take all of the courses you want. It sucks, but you have to prioritize.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:24 PM   #14
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 were well structured courses that will really make your first year interesting. I find them to be challenging at times but that really depends on your work load i.e your other courses. If this is your only heavy course, it will be a breeze BECAUSE you get to spend more time on it. BUT, if this is not your only "hard" course, then it might be a bit hard. I found it a bit tough because I took KIN 1Y03 and 1YY3....

So I took PYSCH 1X03 and KIN 1Y03 in first term and PSYCH 1XX3 and KIN 1YY3 in second term. Both courses had weekly assessments. Psych had quizzes that were open book while kin had tests that were not open book. It was tough studying for both since the quizzes were due on Thursday for psych and the tests were fridays for kin. So...taking both can be a killer. I strongly recommend taking psych in 1st term and kin in 2nd if you need kin.

Pysch was interesting and boring at times, but it was the most unique course ever (compared to bio, chem and physics which were high school review). Psych is tricky though so watch out for those quizzes because they are open book which means they can be harder than a normal closed book test. But take the time to study it and you will truly appreciate what it has to offer.

naval23 says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:31 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 were well structured courses that will really make your first year interesting. I find them to be challenging at times but that really depends on your work load i.e your other courses. If this is your only heavy course, it will be a breeze BECAUSE you get to spend more time on it. BUT, if this is not your only "hard" course, then it might be a bit hard. I found it a bit tough because I took KIN 1Y03 and 1YY3....

So I took PYSCH 1X03 and KIN 1Y03 in first term and PSYCH 1XX3 and KIN 1YY3 in second term. Both courses had weekly assessments. Psych had quizzes that were open book while kin had tests that were not open book. It was tough studying for both since the quizzes were due on Thursday for psych and the tests were fridays for kin. So...taking both can be a killer. I strongly recommend taking psych in 1st term and kin in 2nd if you need kin.

Pysch was interesting and boring at times, but it was the most unique course ever (compared to bio, chem and physics which were high school review). Psych is tricky though so watch out for those quizzes because they are open book which means they can be harder than a normal closed book test. But take the time to study it and you will truly appreciate what it has to offer.
I took these courses with the kin courses as well. I didn't find it difficult to manage at all. I'd say the kin courses were waaaay less work than psych, but since I have trouble memorizing, they were a bit harder for me.

naval23 likes this.