MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 and 1XX3 larizhou First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-14-2012 09:45 PM
Opinions about Psych 1XX3 gcruz91 Academics 5 12-29-2009 07:43 PM
Psych 1xx3 1x03 lbqjenny Academics 12 08-13-2009 11:00 PM

Opinions of people who took PSYCH 1X03 and 1XX3

Old 06-18-2012 at 08:18 PM   #16
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times

highly recommend psych 1X03 and 1XX3.
really well structured courses, like someone said before, and everything is online!
pretty much if you re-watch the lectures and understand the concepts (are able to make examples of your own) you can do really well. the second one, 1xx3 was more bio--based. I found both of them enjoyable and useful for upper year courses. plus if you take first year psych, it opens your doors to some really cool upper year psych courses like clinical neuroscience, forensic psychology, motivation and emotion, abnormal psych.

naval23 says thanks to BlueWave for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-18-2012 at 09:03 PM   #17
5.98e24

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
What made the psych 1x03 exam so much easier than the online quizzes?

And is it possible to do the exact same quiz with a partner online, if you go on at the same time? How else would you do it in groups? Is it that one person tries it and gives everyone else the answer?
The quiz questions were almost deliberately deceptive and it took time to decipher what was really meant by the question. Often, two of the five answer options seem equally correct. This was especially evident in 1X03, which was focused on social psychology, versus 1XX3, which was more science-based. Both had similar question styles but 1XX3 was at least more objective.

Another factor with the quizzes was that there was a 20 minute time limit. It sounds like a lot of time for only 10 questions, but as I said, the questions were tough to decipher, and that made it hard to figure out the answer. I remember that Dr. Kim (the prof for 1X03 and 1XX3) bumped up the marks for one of the quizzes because the average was so low.

A third factor was the number of allotted attempts and permitted drops. It's important to note that Dr. Kim loves input from students about that year's version of the course because he likes to change things around... and thus this may differ for you. However, for us, 1X03 had about 12 quizzes and you could drop your 3 lowest. You also had 3 attempts per quiz. 1XX3 had 9 quizzes, you could drop your lowest, but only 2 attempts were allowed per quiz. Of those 2 attempts, one didn't actually count to your mark. It was like a test run, to test yourself if you knew the info well enough to do the real quiz. I really didn't like this system and preferred the 1X03 option, because the pre-quiz had the same questions for everyone and was usually significantly easier than the real quiz. For both courses, you were not able to see how you performed on each attempt until the quizzing period, which lasted for 5 days, was over. You were also not given access to the answers until after this time.

A fourth factor was how vexing it was when the correct answers to some 1XX3 questions were not identified correctly. There were many cases of this. Eventually, these were corrected, but it happened a few times and was annoying to experience.

You asked about doing the quizzes together. It is very unlikely that you will have the exact same 10 questions as another friend doing the quiz at the same time, but it is likely that 2-3 of the same questions will come up among your attempts. How I did it with my peers was by doing a quiz with a friend, with all of us discussing the questions on their attempt. We'd all do one attempt, sharing our answers and reasoning along the way, and then do the next, etc. Doing quizzes with others was helpful, especially for 1X03.

The only good thing about quizzes was that after the quizzing period was over, you could view the questions and correct answers, as well as a good explanation of why a certain answer was correct. This was good review material for the exam, and among your friends, you would have enough variation of questions to thoroughly go over the entire course with the most challenging questions available to you.

The exam was much easier because the questions were much kinder and direct. No more dancing around words and twisting things with the goal of maximizing complexity. This was the case for both 1X03 and 1XX3. I remember how stressed I was going into the 1X03 exam because I thought it would be 2 hours of those torturous quiz questions, but was so pleased when I realized it was much, much more straightforward. The exam just tests basic concepts.

naval23 says thanks to 5.98e24 for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:59 PM   #18
RandyR

Liked: 1 Time

Although psych 1XX3 was easier than 1X03 in my mind they both require consistent effort throughout the semester. It's not just something you can read over before the exam, let alone the quizzes.

naval23 says thanks to RandyR for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 08:18 AM   #19
ria.o
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Since a lot of people have already posted a lot of great points, I don't have TOO much to add. If anything though, I think the level of difficulty comes down to interest (which applies to any course for that matter). The two courses deal with different areas of psychology though, and I was personally more interested in the XX3 material (mostly neuroscience, with some development and evolution material).

I think having live lectures also enhanced the XX3 experience. Having said that though, the web modules were great for me because it gave me a lot of flexibility in terms of my schedule.

Some of my friends, being in Life Science, had to take X03, hated it, and didn't bother with XX3. Although it is relevant, I feel like X03 wasn't the best indicator of how XX3 would turn out.

The quizzes are a pain, but on the bright side, I feel like I've gotten better at tackling tricky MC questions (compared to high school). XX3 also had a research assignment, which was a huge waste of time, but in the end it didn't matter much because it accounted for only 15 perfect (if I remember correctly) of your final mark.

These courses will require a decent amount of work, but speaking from personal experience, it paid off.

They definitely weren't the hardest courses for me in first year - Physics 1B03 (blech) easily takes that title.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

naval23, yooho9798 all say thanks to ria.o for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 09:06 AM   #20
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Alright.

I took 1X03 Psyche and i HATED the course, it was tough, hard on my gpa, lots of reading and live lectures to do, TA was boring, and useless, the material was confusing.

But at the end of first year, i think i learned more in that one course than i did in all of my other courses combined (excluding physics 1BB3).

Very interesting course to take when pondering about the human psche in the future.

One observation i made however, people *like myself* who were more math,science,physics people struggled with the material more, but people (and these people were generally girls), that were better with literature, found the course to be a cakewalk.

Advice? Find a group of smart girls and do your weekly quizzes with them xD

naval23 says thanks to sam_akbari for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-20-2012 at 01:15 PM   #21
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Thanks for your responses guys, I'll see how psych 1x03 goes before I take psych 1xx3.