MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school of optometry jeboi7 Academics 16 03-11-2011 02:28 AM
Optometry jordan18 Academics 21 09-27-2010 07:03 PM
Optometry Pre-reqs qwerty! Academics 9 08-04-2010 03:28 PM
Going to Professional School? Need INFO?? Dentistry, Medicine, Law, Optometry, etc. aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-21-2010 10:53 AM

Optometry

Old 05-31-2011 at 07:37 PM   #1
Sel_s

Liked: 1 Time

Optometry
The pre-req for optometry at waterloo states that you need 2 general bio with lab. I know Bio 1A03 counts but what about the second one? Can it be any upper year bio with a lab?
Old 05-31-2011 at 07:56 PM   #2
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sel_s View Post
The pre-req for optometry at waterloo states that you need 2 general bio with lab. I know Bio 1A03 counts but what about the second one? Can it be any upper year bio with a lab?
Hi Selena, this is Adeola.
Yup, a second year Bio course like Bio2A03 or Bio2D03 and etc..is sufficient.

Last edited by Purple2309 : 05-31-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Sel_s says thanks to Purple2309 for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 08:33 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would assume any upper year Bio would suffice, but just to make sure contact the Optometry schools you're interested in and ask them directly. Otherwise, maybe jhan can help you if he happens to see this thread !

Sel_s says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 09:34 PM   #4
albalks

Liked: 16 Times

Yupp, an upper year course with a lab component should be sufficient. I would take Sara's advice and contact waterloo or you can check out this forum http://www.premed101.com/forums/

If your question isn't posted, don't hesitate to ask. There are dental students from waterloo and pre-dental students from all over the country that can answer your question. It's a really valuable resource, it'd check it out if you're considering a career in medicine or healthcare.

Sel_s says thanks to albalks for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 09:59 PM   #5
luna

Liked: 10 Times

what are the admission requirements for optemetry?
In Canada and US
Old 05-31-2011 at 10:07 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
In Canada and US
Here's everything about admission to Waterloo Opt. http://optometry.uwaterloo.c a/futu...r-of-optometry
As for the US, there's a lot of schools, look into which ones you're interested in and check their websites for more info
Old 06-01-2011 at 12:54 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
In Canada and US
It's pretty stupid how EVERY SINGLE OPTOMETRY SCHOOL EXCEPT FOR WATERLOO uses a new application which is similar to OUAC for undergraduate schools in Ontario (but more in depth because you have to submit all the information yourself). So that means future optometrists are in luck because they don't have to scour the internet for requirements and such. Once you make an account, they even tell you when application deadlines are approaching. It's actually very useful.

Anyways, it's at optomcas.org

Here are the requirements:
http://optomcas.org/index.php?option...id=10&Itemid=8

BUT YOU SHOULD NOTE THAT THE REQUIREMENTS AREN'T FULLY COMPLETE. I don't know why but you should check each school's website. There are also different requirements depending if you are graduating the year you are applying or not. For instance, I was looking at prerequisites the other day and found that some require another language course or social science courses.

Sel_s says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 01:05 AM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

they require ethics ??? O.o what is the equivalent of that in mcmaster ?

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 06-01-2011 at 09:18 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
they require ethics ??? O.o what is the equivalent of that in mcmaster ?
Philosophy 2D03. I got it approved by Waterloo already so it should be fine for the future.

Purple2309 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:22 PM   #10
Sel_s

Hey Jeremy, have you ever asked about the english pre-reqs for the US schools? I took eng 1a03 and didn't enjoy it at all and was wondering if I could take another eng course that is not 1aa3 to fulfill my full year of english.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:26 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hey Jeremy, have you ever asked about the english pre-reqs for the US schools? I took eng 1a03 and didn't enjoy it at all and was wondering if I could take another eng course that is not 1aa3 to fulfill my full year of english.
Nope, I just took 1A03 and 1AA3. I thoroughly enjoyed 1AA3 about 1000x more than 1A03 Lol. But really the course depends HIGHLY on the prof and what they choose for the book list.

Edit: Also, just to let you know. A LOT of schools in the states require a C or better in every prerequisite course (Which is a 5).

Sel_s says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:28 PM   #12
Sel_s

Ok, I'll prob just take 1aa3 then. Which schools are you applying to/applied for?
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:31 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ok, I'll prob just take 1aa3 then. Which schools are you applying to/applied for?
Almost every single school in the north eastern united states as well as waterloo. Don't forget to start your shadowing this summer, you need to log hours for the states and you'll need referral(s) as well.
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:32 PM   #14
tylerearl

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Almost every single school in the north eastern united states as well as waterloo. Don't forget to start your shadowing this summer, you need to log hours for the states and you'll need referral(s) as well.
shadowing?

12chars
Old 06-01-2011 at 03:35 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerearl View Post
shadowing?

12chars
Yeah, you shadow optometrists. they want to make sure you know what you are getting into. Shadowing 1 is often enough, some us schools require 2 different optometrists. One is alright, but I would suggest shadowing as many as you can. Different optometrists practice differently and the location of the practice also makes a difference. You can shadow a different one every month for example, maybe 1-2 times a week.

I would call and ask if they have any open spots for shadowing. At this time of year there are quite a few shadowers. When you go in don't forget to dress professionally.

Purple2309 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.