MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optometry jordan18 Academics 21 09-27-2010 07:03 PM
Can i still switch into a science program if the pre-reqs done in sem.1 MariaQ Academics 6 08-12-2010 01:13 AM
Failed Pre-reqs? bubblegum3 Academics 13 06-30-2010 07:25 PM
Going to Professional School? Need INFO?? Dentistry, Medicine, Law, Optometry, etc. aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-21-2010 10:53 AM
Summer Course at York (Pre-reqs) cowcow Academics 0 03-13-2010 02:25 AM

Optometry Pre-reqs

Old 06-05-2010 at 06:16 PM   #1
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Optometry Pre-reqs
To everyone considering Optometry..
What Philosophy, English and 3rd year Biology courses did you take/are taking? And does anyone know if MATH1LS3 is equivalent to Waterloo's Calc?
Thanks a lot
Old 06-05-2010 at 06:48 PM   #2
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Not going into optometry, but I recommend Philosophy 1E03. Pretty light workload, easy exam. The prof, Dr. Garrett, gives out 5 tutorial papers, due every other week in tutorial, which are worth 10% each. They are simple 2 page (double spaced) assignments. Pretty simple. Then he gives you the questions for the exam, so you prepare them prior and write the exam (:
Old 06-05-2010 at 07:35 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Third year bio course? What optometry school requires that?

I'm taking Philosphy 2D03 just because it seems interesting. I took English 1A03 and I'm doing 1AA3 this summer to get a full year.
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:30 PM   #4
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Third year bio course? What optometry school requires that?

I'm taking Philosphy 2D03 just because it seems interesting. I took English 1A03 and I'm doing 1AA3 this summer to get a full year.
Oh. I was under the impression Bio 3UU3 was required for 2 terms of physiology at Waterloo? I thought you needed a year of physio and one term of english?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunizoon View Post
Not going into optometry, but I recommend Philosophy 1E03. Pretty light workload, easy exam. The prof, Dr. Garrett, gives out 5 tutorial papers, due every other week in tutorial, which are worth 10% each. They are simple 2 page (double spaced) assignments. Pretty simple. Then he gives you the questions for the exam, so you prepare them prior and write the exam (:
Thanks! I was quite interested in Phil 1E03 since I heard good things about it. Do you know anyone who took it as a pre-requisite?
Old 06-05-2010 at 08:45 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post
Oh. I was under the impression Bio 3UU3 was required for 2 terms of physiology at Waterloo? I thought you needed a year of physio and one term of english?

Thanks! I was quite interested in Phil 1E03 since I heard good things about it. Do you know anyone who took it as a pre-requisite?
Oh right, Bio 2A03 is my first one and Bio 3U03 is my second one, although I'm also taking Bio 3UU3.

You should probably look into the prerequisites for other schools as well. Your OAT gets sent to 5 schools.
Old 06-05-2010 at 10:21 PM   #6
zunizoon
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty! View Post

No I don't know anyone who took it, but I know someone who wants to take it, who is also looking in optometry.
Old 06-06-2010 at 05:25 AM   #7
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Just an FYI.

I was talking to a prospective optometry student who wants to apply to Waterloo and they told me they can only take a certain Philosophy/Ethics course because Waterloo only accepts that one. Don't know much about it since I'm not really aiming for optometry.... But I thought it would be a good idea to mention it and suggest you contact which ever school you wish to study at.

If you're wondering I believe the course my friend is taking is Philosophy 2D03

I might be completely wrong, but just thought I might as well bring it up.
Old 06-06-2010 at 12:26 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post
Just an FYI.

I was talking to a prospective optometry student who wants to apply to Waterloo and they told me they can only take a certain Philosophy/Ethics course because Waterloo only accepts that one. Don't know much about it since I'm not really aiming for optometry.... But I thought it would be a good idea to mention it and suggest you contact which ever school you wish to study at.

If you're wondering I believe the course my friend is taking is Philosophy 2D03

I might be completely wrong, but just thought I might as well bring it up.
Philosophy 2D03 was also the course I got accepted as an equivalent when I contacted waterloo two years ago.

Also, for the future when you do apply: don't get your hopes up if you apply after at the beginning of 3rd year (for entry after third year) and don't get in. Schools in the state accept less than 10% of students who haven't completed a degree. Not sure about the statistics in waterloo, but you should always raise waterloo's difficulty (For instance, in the states the average to get into optometry is 3.3-3.4, but for waterloo the lowest they accepted last year was slightly above 80, a 3.7. So the average was probably around 3.8-3.9).
Old 08-03-2010 at 11:48 PM   #9
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

concerning the philosophy pre-req, it should be a biomed ethics course, which phil 2D03 is. Im quite certain any philosophy course won't do. make sure you read the course descriptions provided on the waterloo optometry website!
Old 08-04-2010 at 03:28 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
concerning the philosophy pre-req, it should be a biomed ethics course, which phil 2D03 is. Im quite certain any philosophy course won't do. make sure you read the course descriptions provided on the waterloo optometry website!
Yeah, Philosophy 2D03 definitively correlates with the description Waterloo gives, but it doesn't mean it's the only one they accept. Contacting them would be the best thing to do.