MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Optometry jordan18 Academics 21 09-27-2010 07:03 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Optometry Pre-reqs qwerty! Academics 9 08-04-2010 03:28 PM
Going to Professional School? Need INFO?? Dentistry, Medicine, Law, Optometry, etc. aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-21-2010 10:53 AM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

school of optometry

Old 03-10-2011 at 11:27 PM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

school of optometry
How competitive is it to get into school of optometry at waterloo? Does anyone have experience with the application process? I figure it is just as competitive as med school, what is NOT competitive these days...
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:33 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I got an email from the Associate dean's office about an event about it today. Were you able to attend it? If not, it would be best to try and contact someone from admissions at UW. None of us would really know how to answer your questions 100%.
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:34 PM   #3
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
How competitive is it to get into school of optometry at waterloo? Does anyone have experience with the application process? I figure it is just as competitive as med school, what is NOT competitive these days...
Very competitive. You said it, everything is competitive. You need between an 80-90 average to be considered competitive. Also you have to write the admission test, and good scores on that are obviously important.

jeboi7 says thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:34 PM   #4
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

I was considering Optometry for a very long time. Anyways Waterloo's optometry pre-reqs are pretty intense (long long list). Their admission average if I remember correctly is 82% (2 years ago) and they also put emphasis on experience.

jeboi7 says thanks to amyshi for this post.
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:36 PM   #5
SciMania
Elite Member

also it's 1 of 2 schools in Canada, so that adds to the competitiveness.
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:38 PM   #6
mcmasterrrrr

Liked: 24 Times

Optometry might even be more competitive then med school
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:39 PM   #7
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasterrrrr View Post
Optometry might even be more competitive then med school
Maybe. But you do have to admit, the pre-reqs is like a Christmas shopping list
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:42 PM   #8
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
Maybe. But you do have to admit, the pre-reqs is like a Christmas shopping list
haha waterloo is notorious for that for the professional programs.
Old 03-10-2011 at 11:46 PM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

lol...optometry...in canada...biggest waste of time ever.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:04 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
For now... optometry practice in Ontario is really restricted when compared to the States but they've already passed bills and what not and are waiting for everything to process. So hopefully within the next couple years optometrists in Ontario will be able to do more procedures like those in the States.

As for the question, it's VERY competitive. I've reached the interview stage but I was placed 11th on the waiting list. Although it's VERY hard to get into Optometry without a degree (even if it's a professional school). I believe Waterloo accepts less than 10% non-degrees (exit-degrees and non-honours are considered non-degrees).

It's similar in the states in terms of non-degrees, but you can find the information on their websites (They are required to release this kind of information due to ethical reason). The optometrist I shadow says it's easier to get into the States though. But for personal and academic reasons I decided not to apply this year.

jeboi7 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:34 AM   #11
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
For now... optometry practice in Ontario is really restricted when compared to the States but they've already passed bills and what not and are waiting for everything to process. So hopefully within the next couple years optometrists in Ontario will be able to do more procedures like those in the States.

As for the question, it's VERY competitive. I've reached the interview stage but I was placed 11th on the waiting list. Although it's VERY hard to get into Optometry without a degree (even if it's a professional school). I believe Waterloo accepts less than 10% non-degrees (exit-degrees and non-honours are considered non-degrees).

It's similar in the states in terms of non-degrees, but you can find the information on their websites (They are required to release this kind of information due to ethical reason). The optometrist I shadow says it's easier to get into the States though. But for personal and academic reasons I decided not to apply this year.
Did you eventually get accepted jhan? It sound like you had a good shot at it. Ahhhh well, it looks like the chance of getting is very slim....blehh. Oh wait, you decided not to apply?

Last edited by jeboi7 : 03-11-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:35 AM   #12
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I got an email from the Associate dean's office about an event about it today. Were you able to attend it? If not, it would be best to try and contact someone from admissions at UW. None of us would really know how to answer your questions 100%.
Haha, I missed it!
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:39 AM   #13
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Care to elaborate?
Old 03-11-2011 at 12:45 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Did you eventually get accepted jhan? It sound like you had a good shot at it. Ahhhh well, it looks like the chance of getting is very slim....blehh. Oh wait, you decided not to apply?
Yeah, I decided to do a thesis and graduate instead of applying to the States. I'll be applying to both again this year.

I personally didn't think I would get in but I tried anyway, plus it's good practice in terms of interview skills.

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Waterloo is taking their time implementing material students what they will need to learn. The laws are changing and soon optometrists will be able to do a lot more. But you need to be trained and since you aren't taught in Waterloo, you'll have to take courses when the time comes. Of course you can always send your patients to opthalmologists or other optometrists but eventually you will lose your patients.
Old 03-11-2011 at 01:08 AM   #15
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
Go England. Start optometry at 18, graduate by 23.

Scuderia likes this.