Summer school orgo chem LBJ.MVP Academics 0 03-24-2010 07:12 PM
Orgo pat2010 Academics 1 02-07-2010 07:54 PM
Orgo Experience sycoman Academics 10 01-30-2010 01:28 AM

Orgo: To Take or Not to Take?

Old 06-25-2010 at 11:12 PM   #1
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Orgo: To Take or Not to Take?
I'm looking for some opinions from upper-year students. I didn't excel in first-year chemistry, but I've always enjoyed the subject -- the tests always tripped me up, I guess. The branch of chemistry that I've tended to understand the best is orgo (and acid/base). I find reactions very interesting and I'm particularly interested in neurochemistry and biochemistry. Because of this, I would require one or both orgo courses in order to take upper-level biochem and neurobiology courses. The question I'm posing is whether or not success in first-year chem is indicative of performance in orgo? I'm willing to work hard to acheive a good grade, but is it possible to do better in orgo than general chem? Orgo isn't mandatory for me or anything, but I'm contemplating doing a graduate program in neuroscience, and I'm sure it's recommended. Can anyone comment on their chem/orgo experiences and provide me some insight? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2010 at 11:18 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
I'm looking for some opinions from upper-year students. I didn't excel in first-year chemistry, but I've always enjoyed the subject -- the tests always tripped me up, I guess. The branch of chemistry that I've tended to understand the best is orgo (and acid/base). I find reactions very interesting and I'm particularly interested in neurochemistry and biochemistry. Because of this, I would require one or both orgo courses in order to take upper-level biochem and neurobiology courses. The question I'm posing is whether or not success in first-year chem is indicative of performance in orgo? I'm willing to work hard to acheive a good grade, but is it possible to do better in orgo than general chem? Orgo isn't mandatory for me or anything, but I'm contemplating doing a graduate program in neuroscience, and I'm sure it's recommended. Can anyone comment on their chem/orgo experiences and provide me some insight? Thanks in advance.
How you did in first year chemistry doesn't mean anything for orgo.

I can't advise on taking orgo or not because I'm not in biochem or neuroscience but you should keep some things in mind if you do take orgo.

Go to ALL the classes.
Takes notes.
Review weekly (at least).
Do practice problems.
If you have any problems/questions go to the office hours. Sometimes even if you don't have questions it's a good idea to go to office hours because just talking to the professor can evoke material that you didn't know and that would help you.

_Mike says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:01 AM   #3
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post

I just finished orgo 2oa3 in the summer and I found it to be soo much more interesting than first year chem. I think 1st year chem success (mostly in the orgo section) is partially important as orgo really builds on top of itself and it is essential to grasp the fundamental concepts. With 2oa3, I found that the first half was a lot of theory like orbitals, bonding, subsitution, elimination (some review of 1st year stuff but goes into much more detail - so if you were lost about sn1, carbocations, etc no worries, you can learn it here). The second half was memorizing tons of mechanism and reactions. However, if you can learn the theory well and the general rules, the memorizing part is not that bad and it was more like problem solving to me. Hmm on the other hand, for orgo tests, 60% were short answer and the rest were multiple choice. I actually found the short answer parts easier than MC. Overall, I think it really depends on the individual and their interest in organic chem. Even if you didn't do so well in 1st year chem, maybe reconsider your studying habits (pure memorization won't work for orgo!), review your 1st yr orgo notes before sept, and be ready to devote time each week for the class as you really need to keep up with the lectures and don't fall behind.

Last edited by paperplanes : 06-26-2010 at 12:04 AM.

_Mike says thanks to paperplanes for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:28 AM   #4
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

i was just wondering if you need a 4 in chem 1aa3 to take chem 20a3 do you also need a 4 to take 20b3 just out of curiosity
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:38 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caludujf View Post
i was just wondering if you need a 4 in chem 1aa3 to take chem 20a3 do you also need a 4 to take 20b3 just out of curiosity
That is correct, you also need to be in an Honours program. If you didn't get a 4, you will need to get permission from the chemistry department in order to take the course.

There is no grade requirement for 2OB3 though. Everything is stated in the undergraduate calendar. http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1764.html
Old 06-26-2010 at 01:14 AM   #6
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

I also just took Orgo 2oa3 during the summer and it wasn't that bad at all. All you have to do is attend class regularly and actually pay attention in class. Take a look at the lecture notes before class so it will be sort of like review once you go to class. Orgo is just about a lot of repetition. There is a lot of theory in orgo 20a3 as mentioned above and there are also a lot of mechanisms and reactions. I would suggest making a reaction sheet with all of the mechanisms and just practicing them yourself. I think alot of people dont end up doing that well during the year because they dont practice that much and they also might skip some classes when things start getting so hectic. But just dont procastinate with it and you should be fine! Don't lose hope just because you werent able to do so well in first year chem because a lot of people dont lmao

_Mike says thanks to Sameen for this post.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:24 PM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
Don't lose hope just because you werent able to do so well in first year chem because a lot of people dont lmao
I know, eh? I would love to find anyone who got a 12 in Chem 1A03/1AA3 and steal their brain, haha. I swear it's impossible to ace those courses!

I really appreciate all of your guys' input -- I found it immensely helpful. I'm thinking I will enrol in Chem 2OA3 or 2E03 when I get back on SOLAR. The only thing I worry about is whether they make it super boring -- I think orgo can be interesting, but I can see it being tedious.
Old 06-26-2010 at 12:47 PM   #8
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Orgo is not that hard. Keep up with the work and you will do well. Labs were cool and fun also.