MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 10 08-08-2010 06:21 PM
On-Campus Jobs ferreinm MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-27-2010 08:42 AM
why aren't there any jobs out there? macbaby07 Volunteering Opportunities 46 05-16-2010 06:19 PM
Campus Jobs Chad Volunteering Opportunities 0 03-31-2010 09:50 PM
Jobs at mac ? WavesSea Volunteering Opportunities 7 07-14-2008 04:19 PM

OSAP and jobs

Old 07-16-2009 at 11:22 PM   #1
camais

Liked: 30 Times

OSAP and jobs
I know that OSAP looks for you to have a job over the summer.
But if you dont get one, do they reduce ur amount?
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:27 PM   #2
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

When I did my OSAP estimate, i did it once with my job and once without. in my case, the amount went up - over $3000 - with no job. i debated quitting to get more money, but opted to keep it and not accrue more debt.

camais says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 11:29 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

In a nutshell, yes they do reduce your amount. However, all depends on the situation and the different variables.

Here's a few threads on it:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2230 4
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...highlight=OSAP
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=part-time

camais says thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-17-2009 at 01:10 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Yeah, most people I know who worked had their OSAP amounts reduced, however by how much it drops..THAT depends on financial situation.. outside contributions.. and a ton of other factors
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:25 AM   #5
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I always say 0 income. If you make under 5k a summer just say you didnt work.
Once my friend said she made 500$ one summer and ger loan went down.. so lame.

noor_oghlaw says thanks to Katia for this post.

noor_oghlaw likes this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 07:24 AM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You would think that the government of Ontario realizes that we work for a reason, so we have classes to go to and food to eat - so that we can add more to what we get, not to just reduce it and spend hours working for nothing.

sinthusized, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 08:40 AM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
hey.. just a question.. will osap people find out about that though and not let you take a loan from them in the future?
Old 07-17-2009 at 12:12 PM   #8
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Lying about your income doesn't sound like a good idea. You should probably state what you make /expect to make in those forms. You did sign a contract after all.
Old 07-17-2009 at 01:13 PM   #9
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Lying on your OSAP forms is very dangerous. It's not too hard for them to find out the truth, and you can get in a lot of trouble if you're caught. You will most likely never be allowed to get that kind of financial assistance ever again.
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:18 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
OSAP checks your reported income with the Canada Revenue Agancy to make sure you're not lying or hiding any significant income. If you're off by only a little bit, they generally won't care (because most of your numbers on the OSAP application are estimates anyways) but if they check and find that you're hiding thousands of dollars worth of income then you're in big trouble. You could be forced to pay back ALL of your loan money on the spot and taken to court. Furthermore, (if you survive all of this finanacial trouble) then you will never be allowed to take out government loans again. You could also be charged with fraud.

The papers that you sign when you fill out the OSAP form authorize the Canada Revenue Agency to release all of your financial information to the Ministry.

Lying = bad news. I wouldn't want to be caught in this situation.

P.S: You vs the government = you lose.

wendy0519, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 07-17-2009 at 09:04 PM   #11
camais

Liked: 30 Times

so they dont deduct anything for not making any money over summer?
Old 07-17-2009 at 11:26 PM   #12
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

i'm not sure where everyone is getting their information from, but OSAP actually assumes you make approximately $4400.00 during the summer. That means that whatever amount you are entitled to, whether you work or not, they assume you work $4400 a year. Now if you do work, as long as you make less than that amount, it will NOT affect your funding. Anything more will, without a doubt.

I got this straight from the financial aid office representatives, and I'm currently witnessing it for my next year funding. Last year i made around $3000 in the summer and got full OSAP ($11500). this year, i'm going to make around $3500, and i'm actually getting more funding, thus proving that the summer earnings under $4400 do not affect your funding. I'm getting more due to my father's income and the fact that my tuition is costing more this year.

hope this helps!

camais, wendy0519 all say thanks to ali11 for this post.
Old 07-18-2009 at 01:31 AM   #13
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Don't forget that you're also responsible to report if you get a new job during the school year and are earning extra money. This is most likely why they do two installments of OSAP release during the year, in case anything changes.

I actually got a job halfway through first semester and I was so tempted not to let them know, but lying is never good. I was only getting a small amount to begin with, but my cousin, who didn't know (so this is by accident) that he had to report a new job during the year actually got barred from receiving OSAP the following year. Serious stuff folks!
Old 07-18-2009 at 11:41 AM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Don't forget that you're also responsible to report if you get a new job during the school year and are earning extra money. This is most likely why they do two installments of OSAP release during the year, in case anything changes.

I actually got a job halfway through first semester and I was so tempted not to let them know, but lying is never good. I was only getting a small amount to begin with, but my cousin, who didn't know (so this is by accident) that he had to report a new job during the year actually got barred from receiving OSAP the following year. Serious stuff folks!
That's so sad :(! Best to read all the conditions and such now.. just to know what you should/shouldn't do in the future.
Old 07-27-2009 at 03:29 AM   #15
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I dont know, I'm in 4th year now, never got in trouble or what not.
I dont need OSAP much, I just put it in the bank to get interest, so no big deal if they cancel it.
However I havent done taxes in the past 3 years so they don't know how much I make.
When my friend said her dads income was llower than it actually is, they just called her in to let her know she made a mistake. Its not a big deal really,