MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overloading? musicislife Academics 4 07-12-2011 10:14 AM
Overloading Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-26-2010 01:17 PM
Overloading Courses Goce Academics 4 01-05-2010 11:10 PM
Overloading feonateresa Academics 22 12-09-2009 09:13 PM
Requirement for Overloading PTGregD Academics 13 06-09-2009 11:13 AM

Overloading! Because Bio 2C03 2D...

Old 08-23-2011 at 05:02 AM   #1
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Overloading! Because Bio 2C03 2D...
...is full. And after hearing reviews about Dr. Campos, I reaaaaally don't want to have this be my sixth course in the first term.

So, questions:

-Anyone willing to drop a seat for me in the second term?

-Is Dr. Campos really THAT bad?

-How hard would it be to manage six courses in one term? I know the engineers do it, and I've met a girl who took seven in one term. For the record, I'm taking PNB 2XA3, XB3, XC3, XT0, Chem 2OA3 and Maths 1B03 BESIDES BIO 2C03. I'm not working, but I am putting in five hours a week for a volunteer position I took up.

-Any other advice? I'd rather not do this as a summer school option because I'm not sure how good I am with three hour lectures, and anyway, I have to take a few maths courses then.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:06 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Okay here is what you will do, You will drop Bio 2C03 and will have only 9 courses instead of 10, finish first term and during the time of the first term. Contact Kathy Mcintosh for a spot in the course. She will give it to you provided you need it for third year (prequistes)

Good luck.

AND PLEASE DONT OVERLOAD, if anything just email kathy macintosh!

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Faer says thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:01 AM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

The thing is, I already emailed Kathy McIntosh and she said she put me on the waiting list, but there was no seat. D: And yes, it's a pre-req for third year. :(

I guess it WILL work if I wait for it till just before the second term, though...

Anybody else?
Old 08-23-2011 at 06:19 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

What Noor mentioned is your best bet right now. They can't guarantee you a spot, but it's worth a try. And besides, the course is offered in the summer, so at the worst situation, you can take it then with Dr. Dej.
Old 08-23-2011 at 07:37 AM   #5
bernas3

Liked: 1 Time

Dr. Campos isn't really that bad. I had her for Molecular Bio 3MO3 and I really liked her teaching style. If your the type of person who likes completed notes with everything on them then I def dont recommend taking a course with her. She is the kind of prof that puts up pictures and lectures around those pictures/diagrams. However, I felt that this method of teaching made me pay attention more in class and review all her lectures and read the text when I got home.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:00 AM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Drop Math 1B03. Unless you need it for something else. That's a rough schedule and you need time for Orgo. Out of all your courses, Math doesn't seem necessary. Or you could just drop one Psych. While overloading is possible, it's not recommended at all.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-23-2011 at 10:08 AM   #7
Faer
Elite Member

The problem is, I DO need Maths - I want to minor in maths, and 1B03 is a pre-req for taking higher-year courses, which is why I'm stuck.

@Bernas: Thanks for that bit about Dr. Campos. Reviews for her are a little lacking on the course review thread, and what anyone is willing to say is 'Take it with Dej!' which, frankly, isn't helpful at all. If you don't mind sharing, how did you manage to do on the course? That is, did you feel her style of lecturing majorly impacted you in any way?
Old 08-23-2011 at 11:37 AM   #8
richardysm

Liked: 4 Times

Hey, just because you are on the waitlist, you are not guaranteed for a spot. What I mean is I was on the waitlist for Bio2C03 2D too, and there were probably 20 ppl in front of me, but I checked MUGSI few times a day and actually found a spot few days ago. So I say try going onto MUGSI few times a day until you get a spot. I find it more reliable than just sitting and waiting for Kathy Mcintosh to email you back.
Old 08-23-2011 at 12:15 PM   #9
Faer
Elite Member

Oh, I've been doing that ever since - and before - I got her reply. I just wish a spot would open up!
Old 08-23-2011 at 02:41 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

The reviews don't mention Dr. Campos because she hasn't taught it the past few years.

Faer says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.