MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payment Questions jomjomjom First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-24-2013 11:20 AM
Engineering 1 Registration Questions Nucleus First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 06-23-2013 10:09 PM
Will an overdue payment affect my registration? amare Academics 0 06-12-2011 08:23 PM
Payment Agreement Questions anon491 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-19-2010 04:55 PM
Payment questions Harlequin Financial Aid 2 07-28-2008 05:52 PM

Payment & Registration questions

Old 05-26-2014 at 07:54 PM   #1
Fahad64

Liked: 0 Times

Payment & Registration questions
I'll be attending McMaster next year and I have a few questions that I thought that you could answer for me if you had the time.

Firstly, where do we go to pay for our full school year? Do McMaster students have to pay tuition for both semesters at once or do we pay for each semester that we are at McMaster? Also, when is the latest date that we can submit our payment for our tuition, housing etc? I know that we can get a deferral for the payment if we're borrowing from OSAP, but does McMaster allow it?

Along with that I'm also curious about the registration. When and where do first year students register for their courses? Do we do it online in June or do we do it in person towards august? Furthermore, do summer school credits count after we have been accepted into McMaster? For example, my specific program says that first year students have to take stats if they did not take data management. I'm wondering if I will still have to take stats if I do data management at summer school in July.

All in all, I'm just curious about this whole payment process as I do not know much about it yet, I wanted to know if McMaster has different rules about payment from other uni's or if it's the same.
Old 05-26-2014 at 08:23 PM   #2
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Payment is done online through MUGSI (http://mugsi.mcmaster.ca) or through online banking. Your tuition, fees, and residence fees are due September 1st unless you make another payment arrangement. If paying online isn't an option for you, you can technically pay at Accounts on the 2nd floor of Gilmour Hall.

You register for your courses online through SOLAR which you access through MUGSI (welcome to the land of a million acronyms). It's a giant PITA but it will be better next year. I'm not sure what program you're in for the exact date, but yes, you do register in June and then can change your courses around at the end of July.

You should be fine to just not register in stats but SOLAR *might* give you an error message.

I suggest using www.timetablegenerato r.com to put together your course schedule after the official master timetable is released on Friday.

Fahad64 says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

Fahad64 likes this.
Old 05-26-2014 at 10:31 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Through SOLAR (which is found within the MUGSI website) you will accept a payment agreement which is just an online form that shows what you owe and if you have OSAP it will appear there. You select the payment method of paying in full or in instalments and then will proceed to pay either online via debit or you can drop off or mail a cheque to the university. They don't accept credit card.

FAQ for payment:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/pdf/SAC_FAQ.pdf
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:45 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Make sure when you add courses to confirm your payment agreement. Im fourth year and i forgot and got 50$ late fee -_-

Edit to chad. They do accept credit card now. However, the credit card fee of 2.5% is passed onto you. It's easier and safer to just do a bank transfer
Old 05-27-2014 at 04:16 PM   #5
Fahad64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Payment is done online through MUGSI (http://mugsi.mcmaster.ca) or through online banking. Your tuition, fees, and residence fees are due September 1st unless you make another payment arrangement. If paying online isn't an option for you, you can technically pay at Accounts on the 2nd floor of Gilmour Hall.

You register for your courses online through SOLAR which you access through MUGSI (welcome to the land of a million acronyms). It's a giant PITA but it will be better next year. I'm not sure what program you're in for the exact date, but yes, you do register in June and then can change your courses around at the end of July.

You should be fine to just not register in stats but SOLAR *might* give you an error message.

I suggest using www.timetablegenerato r.com to put together your course schedule after the official master timetable is released on Friday.
I'm currently on the SOLAR page and it says I need to call the registrars office to gain access to the page. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call them.

Anyways, I have another question. I'll be joining the commerce program at McMaster in September, and I think the date to register for courses is June 8th through SOLAR. I'm curious though, can I register before June 8th or will I have to do it on the same day as everyone else? Also, i'm still a little confused, do I have to pay before I can register or does that come after?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014 at 05:20 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

same day. You have to pay before sept 1

Fahad64 likes this.
Old 05-27-2014 at 05:47 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad64 View Post
I'm currently on the SOLAR page and it says I need to call the registrars office to gain access to the page. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call them.

Anyways, I have another question. I'll be joining the commerce program at McMaster in September, and I think the date to register for courses is June 8th through SOLAR. I'm curious though, can I register before June 8th or will I have to do it on the same day as everyone else? Also, i'm still a little confused, do I have to pay before I can register or does that come after?

Thanks.
If you're going into first year, I doubt your date is June 8...double-check the schedule and make sure you're looking at the correct year.

Those dates in the schedule are the date that SOLAR opens for you...why would you be able to go on earlier and do it before everyone else?
You can do it afterwards if you want to avoid the rush of people...but in first year there isn't much of a rush.
Old 05-27-2014 at 11:13 PM   #8
Fahad64

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If you're going into first year, I doubt your date is June 8...double-check the schedule and make sure you're looking at the correct year.

Those dates in the schedule are the date that SOLAR opens for you...why would you be able to go on earlier and do it before everyone else?
You can do it afterwards if you want to avoid the rush of people...but in first year there isn't much of a rush.
I see. My mistake, it's June 25th for level 1, I was looking at level 4. Thanks.