MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone ymich First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-28-2011 12:46 AM
I Phone 5G mfattal General Discussion 14 07-21-2011 09:11 PM
I Need a Phone! RyanC General Discussion 116 02-20-2011 01:39 AM
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Which Phone? bilalbagha General Discussion 60 08-26-2009 03:20 PM

Phone

Old 11-23-2011 at 03:33 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Phone
Guyss im looking to get new phone, galaxy s II or the samsung nexus
the specs are pretty similar i know but what are the pros and cons of each?
any advicee?? thanks!
Old 11-23-2011 at 04:42 PM   #2
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

http://www.knowyourmobile.co m/comp...laxy_s2. html

The Nexus has a nicer screen, the SGS2 seems to win out basically everywhere else.
Old 11-23-2011 at 04:43 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

which S2?
makes a huge difference.
The international/Bell S2 has very different specs from the rogers/telus S2 (insert custom name).
They difffer in processor, gpu, button layout, screen size, size overall, nfc, and network speeds. ie just about everything...

I have the bell S2. amazing phone, good network speeds. Supposedly going to be upgraded to ICS in Q1 2012 although I would bet more Q2 since Samsung has to create new custom interface.
Old 11-23-2011 at 07:11 PM   #4
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

bell S II. im on contract, but have option new handset + i really need a new phone anyway. so yeah bell
S II

whats the big diff?
Old 11-23-2011 at 07:30 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

As far as pure specs go, the Galaxy S II is a better phone in all areas except the screen (though considering how amazing the Galaxy S II's screen is, it's not a huge loss).

The biggest difference between the phones will be the software. The Galaxy Nexus is running Android 4.0. It's prettier, smoother, more consistently designed, and overall better then any previous version of Android (an it doesn't have the characteristic lag/stutter that's been a part of Android phones for the past 3 years). The Galaxy S II on the other hand is running Android 2.3 with a custom skin. It's slower than Android 4.0 and the skin makes it even slower than the normal Android 2.3. The Galaxy S II will eventually be getting a skinned version of Android 4.0 too, but that'll likely take a few months.

If you're willing to go through the effort of rooting your phone and putting a custom version of the OS on it that's faster than a skinned Android 2.3, then the Galaxy S II is a no brainer. If you're not willing to go through that effort and none of the specs on the Galaxy Nexus are deal breakers for you, then the Galaxy Nexus will provide a better experience.

drpatel says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Afzal likes this.
Old 11-23-2011 at 08:27 PM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Honestly Don't even worry about specs, all the new phones have more than enough horsepower to do everything you could possible desire to do with a phone.

Just go to a local store and see how both feel in your hand and play with the OS to see which one you prefer.

TBH, I would go with Nexus simply because of 4.0

drpatel says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 11-23-2011 at 08:35 PM   #7
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

Get the galaxy s 2 because it has the world's fastest and most powerful processor for a phone and the graphic processing unit is also the world's best currently and will arguably not be beaten for.e a while so u won't regret the galaxy s 2 and so get that.

drpatel says thanks to g.o.p.a.l for this post.
Old 11-23-2011 at 09:12 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.o.p.a.l View Post
Get the galaxy s 2 because it has the world's fastest and most powerful processor for a phone and the graphic processing unit is also the world's best currently and will arguably not be beaten for.e a while so u won't regret the galaxy s 2 and so get that.
The SGX-543 in the iPhone 4S is a far better GPU than the Mali-400 in the Galaxy S II
Old 11-23-2011 at 09:53 PM   #9
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Honestly Don't even worry about specs, all the new phones have more than enough horsepower to do everything you could possible desire to do with a phone.

Just go to a local store and see how both feel in your hand and play with the OS to see which one you prefer.

I agree completely. The processing power in some phones is starting to get ridiculous and to the average end user it makes absolutely no difference. Most people just use their phone for the normal calls/texts and browsing/social apps anyways.

My opinion would be go for the Nexus line simply because you will get LONGER term support in terms of software updates than any other Android phone. You will be the first to get official updates to Android OS and also get a bloatware free phone. It will be pure Android!

Plus there will be TONS of development support for this from over on XDA so your pretty much guaranteed to get some of the coolest roms out there.
Old 11-23-2011 at 09:55 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post

???

First off, there is no 4.0 phone readily available in store to play with.. that only comes out early Dec.

Second, the S2 has been confirmed by samsung to be getting the android 4.0 update as well.
Old 11-24-2011 at 12:45 AM   #11
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

I phone 4s
Old 11-24-2011 at 02:18 AM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The SGX-543 in the iPhone 4S is a far better GPU than the Mali-400 in the Galaxy S II
Not "far" better, just a tad bit better.

It beats the SGX-543 in OpenGL 2.0 benchmarks.

@OP: Get the Galaxy Nexus if you can afford it right now.

To anyone who thinks you'll actually notice Android 4.0 (/w Touchwiz) vs Android 2.3.3 (/w Touchwiz), think again.
Old 11-26-2011 at 09:26 PM   #13
g.o.p.a.l
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times

The gpu in the iPhone 4s is better than the sgs2 gpu!? Dudestop rite there...currently the exoness processor (pardon my spelling) has the world s most powerful gpu. Don't compare things if you don't know about them. Also 4.0 is not coming until mid December to Canada with the galaxy nexus. As for the other devices u will have to wait till Jan or Feb for new ones.
Old 11-26-2011 at 09:58 PM   #14
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.o.p.a.l View Post
The gpu in the iPhone 4s is better than the sgs2 gpu!? Dudestop rite there...currently the exoness processor (pardon my spelling) has the world s most powerful gpu. Don't compare things if you don't know about them. Also 4.0 is not coming until mid December to Canada with the galaxy nexus. As for the other devices u will have to wait till Jan or Feb for new ones.
http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/11/...and-iphone-4s/

Old 11-26-2011 at 10:53 PM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
Depends on a lot of other things, benchmarks aren't everything.