MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overseas student + phone plan macbaby07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-01-2013 08:42 AM
TELUS Phone Plan NA19 General Discussion 9 08-29-2013 10:05 PM
Cheapest Rogers Phone Plan? Allan Computers & Tech 47 06-07-2010 09:25 PM
Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider saukalra ARCHIVES 61 08-26-2009 02:21 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM

Phone Plan Recomendations

Old 03-25-2015 at 09:48 AM   #1
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Phone Plan Recomendations
Can anyone recommend their phone plan? I am looking at Wind because of the unlimited data but have heard that they don't have the best coverage for Hamilton.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-25-2015 at 11:26 AM   #2
szajoy

Liked: 0 Times

I've heard some good things about it and the bad thing is that there's still some areas that it doesn't cover or you won't have signal in certain places...
Definitely stay away from Bell

staceygab says thanks to szajoy for this post.
Old 03-25-2015 at 12:44 PM   #3
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I would not recommend Wind if you do a lot of travelling (assuming you don't live in Hamilton). You get no signal when you're on the highways and that's not really a safe thing in my opinion.

I actually would have recommended my company to you if they hadn't recently changed all their plans (I have no idea where they're headed with these new plans). But I have Public Mobile (Telus) and since I was an older customer I got to keep my old plan of $25 a month for unlimited canada wide calling, unlimited international texting and voicemail. Data addons can be purchased and do not expire until all the data is used. This plan is somewhat similar to Wind's $25 plan except you get voicemail and awesome coverage. But for some stupid reason they changed this plan to be $40 a month for new customers. I would definitely keep an eye on them in case they switch back.

Last edited by Imperious : 03-25-2015 at 12:55 PM.

staceygab says thanks to Imperious for this post.
Old 03-25-2015 at 01:19 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Wind doesn't work in half of the buildings because their signal frequency gets blocked by concrete.

Wind is great for students short on dough, for someone with a full time employment I'd suggest something else. At least that's what I would do if I had a job.

staceygab says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 03-25-2015 at 06:52 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

you need to give us a start on your budget and your usage, minutes and data
Old 03-26-2015 at 02:08 AM   #6
maymagn

Wind has very good signal in almost all the place except basement.

staceygab says thanks to maymagn for this post.
Old 03-26-2015 at 03:02 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

The fact that I can even recommend this shows how idiotic the Canadian mobile industry is, but getting a US plan from T-Mobile with a US number might actually be worth it depending on how you use your phone.

For ~$50 USD per month, you can get unlimited data (uses 3G/edge) internationally in ~120 countries. In Canada, it roams onto Rogers, so you can get unlimited data anywhere where Rogers works.

The downside is you have a US number which costs extra to call Canadian numbers, but can text free to anywhere in Mexico, Canada or the US.

If you find yourself never using anything besides data or travel a lot to pretty much anywhere in the world, it's surprisingly worth looking into.

staceygab says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

Entropy, Snowman like this.
Old 03-26-2015 at 09:44 PM   #8
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

Thanks to everyone for weighing in.

It is the coverage that I am really worried about. I drive from Hamilton to Guelph/Kitchener and to Toronto a lot. Don't need a ton of phone minutes and 2GB data should be fine.
Old 03-27-2015 at 02:35 PM   #9
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

Public Mobile was recently purchased by Telus and are currently undergoing a complete restructure of their plans. Looks pretty attractive, and you'd get access to the Telus network so no worries about coverage...check it out: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on
Old 03-28-2015 at 04:06 AM   #10
maymagn

Wind has very good signal in Hamilton and Toronto . I never go Guelph/Kitchener .
Old 03-29-2015 at 05:28 PM   #11
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

As a McMaster employee, you have access to the plans here http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/serviceca...unication.html