MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for regular tennis partner recyclebin12 Athletics & Recreation 13 10-02-2010 07:20 PM
Evening class vs regular cjdzl Academics 4 09-11-2010 12:47 AM
Regular Meal Plan: Keep It? logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-08-2010 09:15 PM
Honours Political Science/Regular Ruggedman Academics 3 04-15-2010 12:19 AM
Regular Meal!! ishk33 Residence & Housing 5 07-07-2008 10:47 AM

PHY & ECON: regular vs summer?

Old 07-04-2012 at 05:16 PM   #1
Lin~

Liked: 0 Times

PHY & ECON: regular vs summer?

After selecting all of my required courses (2 of chem, bio, and calc) plus 2KIN, I only have room for 2 more courses but I need to fit in 4! So the dilemma is to take two physics (LS3 and LT3) sept-apr, then micro&macro ECON in the summer, or vice-versa. Which way is better?
Old 07-04-2012 at 05:28 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you mean physics 1l03 and 1b03. and why do you need to take econ? do you want to minor in it or something? it wont benefit you if you just want to take it as electives in the summer, unless you want to minor in it that badly.
Old 07-04-2012 at 05:32 PM   #3
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

there's always the option of taking some of your courses in second year. i'm taking the second first year physics during second year and i might even consider taking a few more first year courses in 3rd/4th year.

Old 07-05-2012 at 08:26 AM   #4
twinrainbow

how come you are not taking psych?
Old 07-05-2012 at 08:54 AM   #5
Lin~

Thanks to everyone for their reply. Let me explain my situation. I'm registered in life sci and heading towards pharmacy school in 2 or 3 yrs, so I don't plan to graduate from Mac unless I fail PCAT and interviews twice in a row. My mandatory courses to get into a biochem or biomedical level II program are 2 of bio, chem, and math, that makes 6 courses. My preferred elective choices are 2 of Econ, physics, and kinesiology, but I can only take 4 sept to apr, so my solution is to take two of them in the summer, one in each term. The question is which ones? It gets a little complicated because of the following factors:
1. Physics is recommended to be completely in level I, and I didn't take grade 12 phy so I need to take L03 before B03.
2. Pharmacy school requires that I have 4 social/humanity courses, i plan to take two each year, so I picked Econ since I heard its really easy. I would like to take this during the school year to ease my workload.
3. Kinesiology is not required for anything but I like the course material (biweekly dissections and no exam!) this course isn't offered in the summer though
4. I'm hearing conflicting stories about summer school. Some say it's easier because material is cut out or because you're only focusing on one subject, others say it's harder because of the fast pace.
5. I was also thinking of taking organic chem during the summer...but it seems like that might have to change

With all of that said, my head is spinning. I want to hear your experiences and recommendations before I make a final decision. Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2012 at 11:40 AM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

if you just want the pharmacy school requirements, that can be easily done in 2 years. no need for summer school.
Old 07-05-2012 at 12:22 PM   #7
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

First year Kin courses (1Y03 + 1YY3) do have an exam and last year it was worth 55% for both courses.
Old 07-05-2012 at 05:42 PM   #8
Lin~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
First year Kin courses (1Y03 + 1YY3) do have an exam and last year it was worth 55% for both courses.
Really? But I still like the dissections. How hard is the course in general, compared with bio or chem? Do you have to memorize all the parts of the body?
Old 07-06-2012 at 08:46 PM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin~ View Post
Really? But I still like the dissections. How hard is the course in general, compared with bio or chem? Do you have to memorize all the parts of the body?
The courses are pretty easy, awesome electives. I especially liked the labs in second term. The labs are the most relaxed labs I've ever done. You get the marks just for showing up, although there is a prelab quiz. I'm really glad I took these courses.

Also for math, I noticed you're planning on taking 1LS3 + 1LT3. I took 1LS3 + 1AA3, and some of the math that showed up on the PCAT I had never seen before. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make taking 1LT3 vs 1AA3, but it is something to keep in mind.
Old 07-06-2012 at 10:17 PM   #10
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin~ View Post
I found both courses to be very easy electives, as the above poster has said, there are easy pre-lab quizzes which are completed online and you are given a week to do it! Easy to get perfect on them or at least 9/10. Also, there are weekly quizzes that you do on the computer at KTH during your time slot. The quizzes are not too bad, since they only test on the lecture material discussed in that week. The quizzes are out of 15 and are mainly multiple choice with some fill in the blanks and labelling. I found Kin to be the easiest courses I took first year. Chem is pretty easy as well, and bio is not too bad. Also, you don't have to memorize all the parts of the body, I remember during kin 1YY3, the prof split up the different systems (endocrine, renal, CV system etc) and we did have to memorize some details of each system for the upcoming quiz.