MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology Physiology cutoff gggggg Academics 7 05-15-2012 10:14 PM
Honours Biology and Physiology? VoyozooT Academics 17 07-05-2010 10:45 AM
Biology 2A03 (ANIMALS PHYSIOLOGY ) with Biology 2C03 (GENETICS)?? iki_31 Academics 23 12-24-2009 11:29 PM
Chemical Biology vs. Biochemistry dchan28 Academics 3 06-30-2009 10:26 PM
biology(physiology spec) or biology(molec bio and genetics) shreya s. General Discussion 3 06-20-2009 11:01 PM

Physiology, Biology and Biochemistry!

Old 03-08-2014 at 08:29 PM   #1
keke

Liked: 0 Times

Physiology, Biology and Biochemistry!
Hi!

Okay, so, I'm in first year life sci and I'm trying to decide what program to go into next year. It's really between biochem, biology (physiology specialization) and honours bio (core).
I think all three programs are great in terms of the content they teach and what not. My main concern however is my GPA.
In which program would it be the easiest to maintain a good GPA? How many electives do you get on average for each of the programs? And what are the courses like and do y'all have any tips or anything else I should know about the programs

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-09-2014 at 11:59 AM   #2
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Honours biology would be the easiest to maintain the best GPA.

keke says thanks to airvcarmelo for this post.

-Ish- likes this.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:13 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It's easiest to maintain a good GPA in a program that you like, taking courses that you are really interested in.
You can check out the course calendar to see the required courses (if you don't know what the courses are like, how do you know that the content each program teaches is "great"?) as well as room for electives.

keke says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:48 PM   #4
keke

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
It's easiest to maintain a good GPA in a program that you like, taking courses that you are really interested in.
You can check out the course calendar to see the required courses (if you don't know what the courses are like, how do you know that the congtent each program teaches is "great"?) as well as room for electives.
I have looked into the required courses in the past and that's why I said the content seemed great. The link however seems to currently be disabled so I can no longer view it. Also you can't really say much about the courses by just looking at their descriptions
online. I was hoping for some feedback from someone who has taken these courses and experienced them first hand.
Old 03-09-2014 at 12:53 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keke View Post
I have looked into the required courses in the past and that's why I said the content seemed great. The link however seems to currently be disabled so I can no longer view it. Also you can't really say much about the courses by just looking at their descriptions
online. I was hoping for some feedback from someone who has taken these courses and experienced them first hand.
http://130.113.236.37/CALENDAR/current/
It's working just fine for me - I accessed it through google, and the links were fully functional.
Maybe try looking in the course reviews section or asking about specific courses, then?
I found the course calendar to be quite helpful in that respect though (I either was or was not interested in the topics described in the course titles/descriptions), so I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for.
At any rate, the course calendar will definitely give you a solid idea of elective space.

keke says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-10-2014 at 12:22 AM   #6
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Bio Phys is fun also because if you are interested in physiology at all, you get a take a good crop of the courses that kin students take as well!

keke says thanks to Bigmacfatpack for this post.
Old 03-11-2014 at 03:06 PM   #7
keke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmacfatpack View Post
Bio Phys is fun also because if you are interested in physiology at all, you get a take a good crop of the courses that kin students take as well!
The courses seem very cool for bio phys, but do happen to know anything about the work load, and the relative difficulty of this program as opposed to the other two?
Old 03-11-2014 at 08:13 PM   #8
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I did the physiology specialization. Parts of it were the difficult: namely the type of courses, but if you're good at using logical reasoning you don't actually need to memorize everything - just base your answers on general principles and you will be fine. It seemed like my course load was more difficult than biology alone.

In terms of the electives, there were lots of options through the physiology course list. Overall, it was doable though - most of us got into professional schools: OT, PT and medical school were all popular.