MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best pick up lines killza Dating & Relationships 56 10-09-2010 12:15 AM
Question about where the TAs will picket if there's a strike Kathy2 General Discussion 162 11-03-2009 05:09 PM
Resume Question hamnahx02 General Discussion 7 08-23-2009 03:05 PM
Resume Padding temara.brown General Discussion 9 08-02-2009 01:03 PM
Resume Writing Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-23-2007 10:32 PM

The picket lines resume

Old 11-05-2009 at 09:06 PM   #106
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

[Quote removed by moderator]

I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't have vehicles... I mean, they want cars and houses and stuff, but they can't afford them...

...because they're students.

Last edited by Chad : 02-22-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Quote moderated
Old 11-05-2009
Rcole23
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:11 PM   #107
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

What I don't get is: apparently the Main Street entrance into the campus is open to residence students.

That's great and all. But why only for residence? Shouldn't ALL students be allowed to use that entrance?
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:13 PM   #108
talues

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't have vehicles... I mean, they want cars and houses and stuff, but they can't afford them...

...because they're students.
And I would bet ya that grad students who DO have cars have an external scholarship supporting them, and are less likely to support the strike as they would be making significantly more money then those who do not have external scholarships. They are probably significantly more likely to cross the lines.

But hey, if you want to come to my place and block me in, all the power to you. I don't live anywhere near campus (and a ways from Hamilton also) so....good luck!

Also, let the university know of your anger towards the strike. I'm sure they'd love to hear about how the strike is pissing off students, seeing as they really care about them.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:14 PM  
talues

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 11-05-2009 at 09:17 PM   #109
talues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
What I don't get is: apparently the Main Street entrance into the campus is open to residence students.

That's great and all. But why only for residence? Shouldn't ALL students be allowed to use that entrance?
Either has to do with something against blocking people from getting to their place of residence, or just the picketers/university/CUPE/whoever the hell makes the decision being considerate to those who live on campus.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:18 PM  
Taunton
Elite Member

This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 11-05-2009 at 09:18 PM  
Rcole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by talues View Post
I don't have a source, but I have more anecdotal evidence then necessary to prove his point.
I was a student who owned a car and a house. Still am. err? point proven. Looks like we have a lot of pro strikers here. Guess a lot of you guys like to waist your time.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:20 PM  
Taunton
Elite Member

Old 11-05-2009 at 09:21 PM   #110
Eugene

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

I wasn't aware of the Main St. entrance situation. If I had to take a guess though, I believe the picketing is supposed to be at the "work place". For the res. students this also happen to be their home thus the exclusion?
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:22 PM  
talues

Taunton says thanks to talues for this post.

Lois, Taunton like this.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:24 PM  
Rcole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
You are what is called an outlier.

Most students can't afford to own a house and a car.
Kinda off topic but lets narrow it down to our specific audience. TAs and RAs are the students in this discussion. Age range early 30s late 20s. Some probably have families. These "students" are graduate students or PHD students who either have had experience/work in their field or are working currently plus are employed by Mac part time.

This specific audience is going to be residence and vehicle free? I gotta get into money management.

I have work to go do, have fun.

Last edited by Rcole23 : 11-05-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:27 PM  
talues

Taunton likes this.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:31 PM  
Eugene

Liked: 6 Times

Last edited by Eugene : 11-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2009 at 09:36 PM   #111
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I wasn't aware of the Main St. entrance situation. If I had to take a guess though, I believe the picketing is supposed to be at the "work place". For the res. students this also happen to be their home thus the exclusion?
But for 25,000 students, this is their school; not their work place.

As for CUPE being "considerate" for rez students like another commenter said: what is the difference between a student driving to rez or a student driving to school? We are all students and we all have places to go.