MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Protocol when a class is full? Alchemist11 Academics 28 06-14-2010 08:59 PM
classes on Easter Monday? yum24 Academics 7 03-27-2010 02:33 AM
Picketing chants / cheers DannyV General Discussion 42 11-02-2009 12:03 PM
Anyone happen to know anything about credit reports? etc. Greco General Discussion 3 08-15-2009 11:26 AM
what will happen if I fail one elective course hellrise00 Academics 3 05-08-2009 07:36 PM

Picketing Will Happen Monday - Here's the Protocol

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:17 PM   #15
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Not if mac held out for picketing protocol where CUPE encouraged the bus drivers to cross in exchange for the concessions that they wanted (or needed) to run the pickets.

The bus drivers union would not engage in sympathy action if CUPE told it not to. It wouldn't be good sympathy action if it did.
During the last strike action the buses didn't come on campus either, out of solidarity with the union, not because CUPE 'asked' them not to. It's more of a respect thing (whether or not the bus driver's union agrees with the reason for the labour action. It is not their fight, this is their way of staying out of it, quite literally.)

Negotiating something like this would be a big waste of time. CUPE and McMaster have other things they should be talking about.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:24 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Most people picketing are students (TAs) and have a right to use the campus washrooms. I don't even see how this is an issue.
obviously it is if i warranted an article in the picketing protocol.

Quote:
The problem is that the HSR runs through Sterling and the GO bus runs through Cootes. Both organizations would be delayed due to traffic even if the university lets them onto campus.
Seeing as they are reducing these gates to one lane only, they can use the other as a bus only entrance. At least for the sterling gate, the buses have to sit in traffic until right before the gate anyways before they turn down forsyth.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:29 PM   #17
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
During the last strike action the buses didn't come on campus either, out of solidarity with the union, not because CUPE 'asked' them not to. It's more of a respect thing (whether or not the bus driver's union agrees with the reason for the labour action. It is not their fight, this is their way of staying out of it, quite literally.)

Negotiating something like this would be a big waste of time. CUPE and McMaster have other things they should be talking about.
1) It's not staying out of it. Staying out of it would be doing they're job that they're paid for. If you're not from Hamilton you may not be aware that just last year they got a very good new contract, and we've faced fare hikes and transit tax hikes for the past 3 years straight. Myself and a lot of Hamiltonians are sick of the HSR for a lot of reasons and this doesn't help things.

2) Of course CUPE didn't ask. But if CUPE asked them to continue their normal routing do you think they'd disrespect CUPE's wishes. Indeed this would run counter to the point of sympathy action.

3) And I think the University should be fighting for students. If they cave in when setting up the rules for picketing, I doubt they can be trusted not to screw us over when it comes to big things.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:30 PM   #18
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
obviously it is if i warranted an article in the picketing protocol.
Okay, we'll respectfully disagree. I think TAs who are put in a terrible position should be able to use the washroom, you don't.

/end of toilet talk

With respect to the buses, I'm in agreement with Danny. There are more important things to discuss than drop-off points.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:36 PM   #19
DannyV
Elite Member

They're paid to drive buses. They will still drive buses. 90% - 95% of the route doesn't cross through campus. It's analogous to seeing two strangers fighting, do you step in? I wouldn't. I understand why the bus driver's unions choose not to cross picket lines. They're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Considering the delays that will be experienced (they can't really create a buses only lane on Sterling) and considering that those buses have to service the rest of Hamilton as well, not just the neighbourhood around McMaster, it is a wise decision.

lorend, monique like this.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:38 PM   #20
DannyV
Elite Member

I also wanted to add that, having gone through a McMaster strike before, the whole "buses not being on campus" issue is being made into something much bigger than it is. The last time this happened I was still commuting from Hamilton Mountain.

It's not going to be as big of a nuisance as people believe it will be.

lorend, Taunton all say thanks to DannyV for this post.

Old 11-01-2009 at 09:43 PM   #21
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
They're paid to drive buses. They will still drive buses. 90% - 95% of the route doesn't cross through campus. It's analogous to seeing two strangers fighting, do you step in? I wouldn't. I understand why the bus driver's unions choose not to cross picket lines. They're in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Considering the delays that will be experienced (they can't really create a buses only lane on Sterling) and considering that those buses have to service the rest of Hamilton as well, not just the neighbourhood around McMaster, it is a wise decision.
The off campus HSR dropoff is sterling and forsyth ie. they already have to sit in traffic all the way to campus along Sterling and turn away. I was talking about at Sterling Gate itself there are two lanes, one of which will be closed during the picketing which could be used to bypass the line of cars that would result in delays further than will already experienced.

And they are paid to drive the bus where they are told to. Not wherever they please. It would be like a bus driver going off route to bypass shady areas of town. And if the university attached the conditions of being allowed to use part of university property to support their picketing to CUPE requesting the Bus Drivers take no sympathy action, I fail to see how it is a damned if you do scenario.

Old 11-02-2009 at 08:52 AM   #22
monique

Liked: 1 Time
I use the bus everyday and while it may be a little bit of a hassle, it makes sense. They don't want to get involved and also, if theyre going through the university/crossing the picket lines then there is bound to be delays getting through - meaning the rest of it's route (90-95% of it) will be delayed and I'm sure the rest of the people using the bus won't be too pleased. We aren't going to be given special treatment because our university is on strike, they're going to try and minimize the effect it has on them (i.e. delays for the rest of the route).

lorend, Maegs all say thanks to monique for this post.

lorend likes this.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:12 AM   #23
Our Luck

Liked: 2 Times
Picketing is from 730-730.

This is terrible in general. Think of what this does to the school's reputation.

Old 11-02-2009 at 09:58 AM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times
It's still early, but it looks like not much is happening. Business as usual so far, which is good. Let's keep this strike as weak and useless as possible.

Old 11-02-2009 at 11:12 AM   #25
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times
Be informed
http://www.mcmaster.ca/senate/student/stoppage.htm

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search