MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking a 2nd or 3rd year Econ elective Porsche911 Academics 7 09-06-2011 05:22 PM
Eng Stream Year II - What if you don't get in? PHLN First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 03-15-2011 04:36 AM
Picking 2nd Year Courses [science] siefer1322 Academics 4 06-07-2010 06:53 PM
picking courses for 2ND year HUMANITIES program bella.gucci Academics 2 06-01-2010 11:23 AM
Regarding picking 2nd year majors nessa18 Academics 12 12-24-2009 09:03 PM

Picking 2nd Year Stream

Old 03-19-2016 at 01:15 AM   #1
Navy CL

Liked: 0 Times

Picking 2nd Year Stream
Hey everyone, I'm a first year currently enrolled in Engineering. The time to pick our streams for 2nd year courses is rapidly approaching. I'm looking for some insight from upper years to help me on my way to picking.

Right now my first choice is Electrical. However, there is also the option of doing Elec & Biomed Eng. Combining the medical applications into electrical field seems interesting to me. But I'm not so sure as to how it would make me stand out as an individual. If I choose to do Elec and Biomed, will it make me less of an electrical engineer, causing others to be more qualified than me? Also, to those who are in the stream, do any of the courses actually integrate the medical applications into the electrical aspects. Or is it just Electrical Engineering courses with some biology courses tacked on?

If you're in Electrical Engineering (with or without management) or Elec Bio, I'd really just like to hear your opinion and experiences of the stream and what it brings.

Also, one last question. Does anybody happen to know what the entrance average was in previous years for Elec or Elec&Biomed by any chance? It would be great to know because I've never found a definitive answer. In the fall term I got a 10.5 average and this term I am around a mid 11, so I think getting into the stream won't be a problem for me.

I really appreciate any help I can get! Thanks.
Old 03-19-2016 at 01:31 AM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
will it make me less of an electrical engineer
You will be more proficient with medical stuff, than power systems stuff.

Quote:
do any of the courses actually integrate the medical applications into the electrical aspects
Tons. 4BD4 for example has 5-6 labs where you design and build various bio-metric instrumentation devices. Knowledge of biology definitely helps in that course, altho it's unnecessary.

ECE gives you a lot of freedom with your electives, more than any other program, 4th year is pretty much just electives that you can use to tailor your skills.

Can't tell you precise average needed, they are always different. But ECE at McMaster is one of the strongest departments with solid staff and course structure, a lot of labs and hands on experience, so it's generally more applied for than something like Eng Phys or something.

Years ago Elec & Biomed only had 60 seats (probably still do), so if a lot of people just happen to apply for it this year, the required average will be much much higher.

Navy CL says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.